The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#214681 - 09/13/11 11:54 PM Re: Birth Control Pills [Re: hotflashgal]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I believe there is a reason GOD made periods, one every month, for a reason and don't trust these people who strive for one every four months. Can't be healthy, God doesn't make mistakes...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214701 - 09/15/11 01:11 PM Re: Birth Control Pills [Re: Anne Holmes]
Ellemm Offline

Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
I agree that it's best not to "mess with Mother Nature."

I too took the pill in my 20s, but had to stop for health reasons. I used a diaphragm for the decade of my 30s and then -- at 39 as I recall -- I, too, opted for a tubal ligation.

Best decision I ever made, since by then my docs had told me it wasn't medically wise for me to have any more children.

You know, this topic sounds a bit startling to us, but, like you, I messed with Mother Nature just the same way. We could make an argument that anything other than no birth control at all is messing with Mother Nature, and almost no one in modern countries does that. We don't want 15 children!

Women use hormones and devices to keep from getting pregnant and take hormones and treatments to lessen the effects of menopause. An enormous number of us choose to help things at various stages of our lives. I'm going to withhold judgment until there are some studies that tell us whether this is harmful or neutral.

#214706 - 09/16/11 02:10 PM Re: Birth Control Pills [Re: Ellemm]
Ellemm Offline

Did a little refresher Googling this am and some interesting facts about The Pill:
--It has been in use for 50 years.
--The periods women get during 'normal' pill usage -- 3 weeks pill, 1 week off -- are not real periods. The pill works by basically tricking your body into thinking it's already pregnant -- the added hormones result in no eggs being produced. The lining of your uterus doesn't thicken much during each month because there's no egg released in anticipation of possible fertilization. The period women experience is caused by the drop in hormones.

The folks who developed the pill felt that women would be more comfortable with a 'regular' schedule, but it's all chemically induced. The way I see it, the newer pills are no more unnatural than the old pills are, but the idea of few periods *is* a bit startling to us older women.

Personally, I understand that women have benefitted tremendously from being able to space their children, but have become so overdependent on the pill that they often don't consider alternatives. Everyone cannot take the pill and a lot of people choose not to. But of course in the olden days women didn't have much in the way of choice at all.

#214709 - 09/16/11 04:14 PM Re: Birth Control Pills [Re: Ellemm]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Fascinating, Ellemm, I had no idea that's what was happening.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214712 - 09/17/11 08:43 AM Re: Birth Control Pills [Re: Anne Holmes]
Mountain Ash Offline

Another point to consider
Previous generations may have due to several pregnancies and breast feeding not had a menopause in the same way as experienced nowadays.Indeed the menopause may have been a relief due to the hard work of carrying multiple children.Life span was also shorter and epidemics rife.Grief through child death would also figure.
The physical toll on a womans pelvis in itself must have been a trial.In a time when open discussion about incontinence/prolapse was restricted few womens magazines..no internet life could have been fraught with discomfort.
Marie Stopes when she opened clinics was frowned upon by many.
On balance we do have choice...and I agree hormones should be researched .

#214914 - 10/04/11 01:00 AM Re: Birth Control Pills [Re: Mountain Ash]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Personally, I understand that women have benefitted tremendously from being able to space their children, but have become so overdependent on the pill that they often don't consider alternatives. Everyone cannot take the pill and a lot of people choose not to.

I agree Ellenm.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved