The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#212943 - 05/18/11 05:42 PM Re: Save or spend? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I bet all of us would benefit from donating to eliminate clutter from our homes.

I recall that when Steve and I moved to Galena a few years ago, we moved from a house we had lived in for 10 years or so -- and from which our kids moved off to college and their own homes.

The move was monumental. We had so much "stuff" to purge from the house before we could move that I became overwhelmed and actually broke down in tears as I toured the house and contemplated what would have to be done before the moving truck could roll...

But it wasn't so bad, once we developed a plan, and got some help:

We gave furniture to family and friends who had needs, donated to the Salvation Army and other similar sources, sold stuff on e-Bay, held a mini garage sale and even still, we had so much junk left over that we called 1-800-GOTJUNK and they hauled one and a half truckloads to the landfill.

Since then, we've tried really hard not to accumulate more "stuff" into our lives. I can't imagine how bad things would have been for our children if we'd not handled all of this before now, and they had to deal with it years into the future, when we die.

(The other thing I want to mention is that as an adult, I had moved more than 6 times prior to this move. I thought I was an old hand at moving... But it's one thing to keep packing stuff up and moving it forward, it's a total other thing to figure out how to divest yourself of the stuff you no longer need or use.)

Edited by Anne Holmes (05/18/11 05:48 PM)
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212945 - 05/18/11 06:56 PM Re: Save or spend? [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I am facing that now - I have lived in my current home for 15 years; my partner has been there for 23. Right now, the task of sorting, packing, and moving seems totally overwhelming!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#212947 - 05/18/11 11:03 PM Re: Save or spend? [Re: yonuh]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Hi Yonuh,

First of all, you have my sympathy. This sort of a move is really tough: both physically and emotionally challenging. But I promise you, it can be done! And you will be really happy you did it -- when it is all over. Though I think I ached for a week after the move...

You've probably figured this out already, but the best way to tackle the job is to organize it and break it up into manageable pieces. Handle one room -- or even one part of a room -- at a time. And have boxes marked "save," "recycle," "give away," and "trash."

Also helpful: early on I pulled together a crew of family and friends to help for a day -- we all worked hard, they got first dibs on stuff they wanted to keep, and I kept them well-fed. Definitely worth it if you can assemble a crew like that.

In the litany of disposal in my story above, I forgot that we also left stuff curbside for the regular trash pick-up. The week of the move, the trash pick-up wasn't just one or two barrels -- it practically ran the full with of our lot. I'm sure the trash guys weren't happy, but that's what ended up happening.

Good luck -- how far away are you moving?

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#212951 - 05/19/11 01:03 AM Re: Save or spend? [Re: Anne Holmes]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
We're moving to another part of town so it's not far. Since the new house will need some work, my partner will be up there working every day and will take a load of stuff with him. The heavy stuff will be last and we'll rent a truck with a lift gate. I know it can be broken down into small chunks, but right now, as I look around, there just seems like so much! The new house is also a little bigger, and has a garage, so lots of room to put stuff.

We live on a corner lot so usually put stuff out on the corner - it's almost always gone within 24 hours. It's amazing what people will pick up!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#212956 - 05/19/11 01:55 PM Re: Save or spend? [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Good luck, yonuh! You're such a sweet lady!

#212992 - 05/20/11 01:17 PM Re: Save or spend? [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

A wise lady told me once to save what you can, spend some,
and willingly help others.

#214302 - 08/11/11 07:38 PM Re: Save or spend? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Now thats a wise woman and some great advice.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214309 - 08/11/11 08:16 PM Re: Save or spend? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

I agree.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved