The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 167 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#213912 - 07/21/11 06:49 PM End of an era: The shuttle has come home...
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Space: The final frontier...

As Boomers we've lived through all of the "Space Age."

While few of us were paying much attention in 1958, when President Eise­n­hower signed the Space Act, officially creating the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, I am sure you remember where you were when man first walked on the moon (July 20, 1969), and back even earlier, to when JFK announced we would get to the moon in our lifetimes.

Who could forget the changes that happened in American schools after Yuri Gagarin became the first man in space, in 1961. (Of course, he was followed shortly by American Alan Shepard, who became the second man in space -- for 15 minutes.

We were there when John Glenn followed in Gagarin's globe-circling footsteps in 1962 and when we (the US)succeeded in its own first: putting a man on the moon.

So how do you feel about also being present for the end of the shuttle era? It happened before dawn this morning when Altantis returned safely.

Here's a link to an article about today's events: Atlantis Returns, Shuttle Era Ends

I'm sure it's not the end of Americans in space. But I'm sad that we don't have something else already in place to keep us moving forward.

After all, just think about what the space race has meant for everyday people. All of the everyday-use products that have come out of those technological efforts. And it's more than just freeze-dried food. Let's see, these everyday use products include:

* Invisible braces
* Scratch-resistant lenses
* Memory foam
* Ear thermometers
* Shoe insoles
* Not to mention all those telecommunications advances

Here's a link to an article that talks more about the many products we use daily that evolved from the space age... NASA Inventions

Your thoughts?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#213938 - 07/23/11 02:48 AM Re: End of an era: The shuttle has come home... [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
I'm sure it's not the end of Americans in space. But I'm sad that we don't have something else already in place to keep us moving forward.

I appreciate the side discoveries as a result of the space programs...worldwide.

I think there is something else, Anne that is moving us forward...it is all the inventions that spawned from the Internet and ways to connect each other virtually.

#214058 - 07/28/11 11:23 PM Re: End of an era: The shuttle has come home... [Re: orchid]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I just wonder if cancelling he space programs is a good idea? It seems to me there is so much more to learn like spsce travel etc.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214072 - 07/29/11 05:26 PM Re: End of an era: The shuttle has come home... [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I'm saddened by the end of the space program era; but, with each
shuttle flight costing about $l.5 billion, it's money this country doesn't have right now. I pray we can get the national budget under control and operating in the black, then restart
space exploration!

#214085 - 07/31/11 01:51 PM Re: End of an era: The shuttle has come home... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Money. It's all about money. IMHO the gov't should cut back on
unappreciated entitlement programs. People work their whole lives to achieve accomplishments they're proud of; others freely receive gov't subsidies, feeling society owes 'em because of some self-inflicted addictions. And these giveaways come out of our taxes.

#214101 - 08/01/11 02:29 PM Re: End of an era: The shuttle has come home... [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

I've decided against belaboring this angle of argument. It doesn't help anybody! sick

Edited by jabber (08/02/11 12:48 AM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved