The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#214416 - 08/22/11 02:43 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: chatty lady]
RedHendoo Offline

Most individuals men as well as women stay in toxic marriages from fear of the unknown. How will I survive on my own is the big question. If it's abusive there is no time limit, exit. God intended us to be Champions in this life not punching bags.

#214422 - 08/22/11 07:03 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: RedHendoo]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Wonderful advice, RedHendoo!

My mother soon learned after marrying my father that he could be abusive at times. She never knew who would come home from work, Dr. Jeckyl or Mr Hyde.

As she puts it, we all learned to walk on eggshells so as not to arouse the terrible temper.

She began confiding in me when I was very young, and probably told me a lot of things she shouldn't have shared with a child.

One of the biggest things I remember is that she told me her mother told her to take us kids and walk away from the marriage; but she waited so long to take that advice that my sister and I were married and my brother in college before she took action.

She said she didn't do this earlier, as she didn't know how she would have supported us or where she could have turned.

I don't know what options were actually available to her back in the 60s, but I have come to understand that MANY MANY of the kids I grew up with -- in an affluent community, by the way -- were all secretly living with horrible situations at home. Drink, drugs, sex and infidelity -- all were lurking just below the well-varnished surface.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214441 - 08/23/11 10:59 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My father was a Jackyl/Hyde character also and very hard to live with. My mother divorced him as we kids grew older and we all insisted on it. He had a mental illness thats for sure.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214650 - 09/10/11 12:15 AM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: chatty lady]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thank God my stepfather was a kind, loving man to my mom. They had many great years together and he spoiled her rotten which she deserved. But he passed away so she is alone again in her later years.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214659 - 09/10/11 11:12 PM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: chatty lady]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Sorry about your stepfather's passing, Chatty! Glad he was good to your mom, though!

#214664 - 09/11/11 01:23 AM Re: How Long should one suffer? [Re: Anne Holmes]
lindasusan Offline

Loc: NJ
Unfortunately, also in the 1960's I think there still was that stigma about divorced women. We've come a long way baby!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved