The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 158 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#214472 - 08/26/11 10:05 AM Pizza on Fridays??
lindasusan Offline

Loc: NJ
I remember we always had Pizza on Fridays, at the time, mother believed we shouldn't eat meat on Fridays. I love to write about memories of life growing up as a baby boomer.

#214473 - 08/26/11 01:32 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: lindasusan]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I have pizza on Sunday because it's an excuse not to cook. Apparently, lindasusan, momma didn't put pepperoni on your pizza.
Hey?

#214477 - 08/26/11 05:47 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
We often had meatless Fridays during Lent when I was growing up, but I can say with assurance that we didn't have Friday pizza. Most likely during the 60s my parents would have been going out with friends on Friday nights and we kids would have had something easy for us to prepare, like Dinty Moore stew from a can. (Still have never bought any of that stuff myself, if it even still exists.)

I am absolutely positive that the first time I ever ate pizza was on one of my first dates. It was a double date as my boyfriend and I were too young to drive -- thus we must have been 15 -- so we doubled with his sister and boyfriend, who were a year or so older. My recollection is that we went to Shakey's Pizza and I didn't know what to order, having never eaten pizza before.

So who else remembers Shakey's Pizza? It was an early fast food success story, but I'm not sure if it's still in business. Here's an early Shakey's TV Commerical. There slogan was, "We serve fun at Shakey's - also pizza."
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214478 - 08/26/11 05:56 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Boomer in Chief

More thoughts on Friday pizza nights:

It seems strange to recall how old I was before I ever ate pizza, as my kids were spending time at pizza places before they were old enough to eat the stuff. When my kids were young, we went out for pizza once a week - usually on a Monday or Tuesday.

Happy Joe's Pizza, which originated in Davenport, IA, where we lived at that time, always had a family night special on Monday nights.

Strangely enough, Joe Whittey, who founded Happy Joe's, was a former Shakey's store manager. Here's a bit more on that story: Happy Joe's Pizza

One of our favorite family stories involves my son's first sign of word recognition -- well before he had been introduced to the alphabet -- and it could only have happened because of our taking him to Happy Joe's on a weekly basis. Here's what happened:

We were dropping him off at daycare one morning, and he made this announcement to our daycare provider, in a totally amazed voice: "It says 'pizza' on your jeans." We all looked at the rear pocket, which he was pointing to, and sure enough, the brand name printed there was "PIZZAZZ."
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214481 - 08/26/11 06:58 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

That's cute! "Pizzazz" I mean!

#214483 - 08/26/11 09:32 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: jabber]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Growing up Catholic we didn't eat mesat on Fridays either, and ate Pizza or spaghetti, mostly Pizza. I bet there were many others besides us...

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214484 - 08/27/11 03:22 AM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: chatty lady]
Boomer in Chief

OK, I'm asking just so I can understand this concept, because at first blush, it seems foreign to me.

You're saying that in order to comply with the Vatican, you ate pizza or spaghetti with no meat on/in it on Friday nights?

I'm asking only because I find it hard to imagine feeding hungry kids spaghetti with a meatless red sauce, or pizza without sausage...

Times were different then, I guess. After all back then, when it was corn on the cob season, my mother used to feed us a dinner of just corn on the cob. We'd all eat 2-3 ears of corn slathered with butter, and that was it for dinner.

These days, when I mention that to my husband or friends, no one can imagine having the corn without some sort of accompanying protein.

And many of us report having had our share of pancakes only dinners -- though a dinner of pancakes with sausages is much heartier.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214491 - 08/27/11 10:42 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Anne Holmes]
lindasusan Offline

Loc: NJ
Yes Anne, Being raised a Catholic in the 1960s, this is what we were taught; that we could not eat meat on Fridays. So most of the time, it was pizza, sometimes a quick tuna sandwich, etc. That was then.

#214497 - 08/28/11 01:50 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: lindasusan]
jabber Offline

Strange how different people's customs are. We ate meat on
Friday, except for Good Friday! And I grew up in a God-loving Protestant family! Go figure!

#214538 - 08/31/11 08:36 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Ellemm Offline

Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
OK, I'm asking just so I can understand this concept, because at first blush, it seems foreign to me.

You're saying that in order to comply with the Vatican, you ate pizza or spaghetti with no meat on/in it on Friday nights?

Yeah; that sort of thing is exactly what Catholics used to do. Not eating meat on Fridays was done for penance and to remind people of Christ's crucifixion (Good Friday). You could eat eggs, beans, cheese, even fish. We had fish sticks every Friday, it seemed, but I'm sure had grilled cheese sandwiches and the like as well.

It wasn't a bad deal and served as a regular reminder. It may seem a little wacky now, but when you think about it, eating certain ways due to religious beliefs is a very common practice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved