The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#214540 - 08/31/11 09:17 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Ellemm]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Well as an Episcopalian, we only had meatless Friday meals during Lent. But my mother was more into the fish sticks and grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup.

I have to laugh now, because you'd think she would have had more versatility in her meals since she was a home economist with a specialty in foods and nutrition.

But as I said earlier in this discussion, she never, ever made us pizza. And the only kind of spaghetti she knew how to make was Chef Boyardee in a can -- which is pretty gross compared to the real home made stuff.

I was in college before I ever tasted a taco. And the first time I ever ate lasagna, I was in London (as in the UK).

My mother had a handful of meals that she rotated through, but they were not known for their ethnicity. We'd have meatloaf, homemade macaroni and cheese with chicken and broccoli in it, roast chicken. And at least once a month we'd have (uugh!) liver and onions, and (yum!) pot roast with potatoes, carrots and onions. Also pork chops -- but they were the skinny kind that could be totally consumed in about two bites.

As were many mothers during these times, my mother was the queen of casseroles. A favorite of hers was made with hamburger, green beans and tomato soup -- with mashed potatoes on top.

She also made lamb burgers, which looked just like hamburgers, except made with ground lamb. NOT served on buns, though... They were one of her more special meals.

As with many housewives during the 50s through the 70s, she was quite good at feeding us on a very limited budget.

Who else has memories of dinners - Fridays or otherwise -- when we were growing up?

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214545 - 08/31/11 10:01 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Anne Holmes]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Even today I still love tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, especially before bed.

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#214547 - 08/31/11 11:33 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: chatty lady]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
One of my favorites, too, Chatty. What is it about tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches together?
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#214559 - 09/01/11 03:34 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Ellemm Offline

Oh, Anne, us too. My parents came from Irish immigrants; plain cooking was about it. My mom did make homemade spaghetti, but we too rotated through the basics: pork chops, beef and mashed potatoes, spaghetti with meat sauce, fried chicken, etc. Sometimes we had breakfast for dinner and that was good, too.

My mom was a good plain cook and my dad was *not* interested in trying anything different. In fact, he was the fussy one --for example, wouldn't try Chinese food until long after I left home. I think that frustrated my mom, who did want to try different things. I have delved into far more foods than I ate growing up -- African, Thai, Indian, etc., but that's the way it was back then.

And, yes, there is something just perfect about a good grilled cheese and tomato soup, especially on a cool day. If we ever get a cool day I'll let you know -- it has been 100+ with no letup since mid-June.

#214560 - 09/02/11 03:18 AM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Ellemm]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Ellemm, are you in Texas? You mentioned how hot it has been and for how long,and that sounds like what my brother and his family have been enduring in the Dallas area.

It's cooler here in the upper midwest, but at just after 10 PM it is still 80 outside, and humid.

I am SOOO looking forward to Fall! I want some days that are cool enough that I can do some baking without causing the AC to run non-stop!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214562 - 09/02/11 01:39 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
My grandmother did most of the cooking. Living on a farm, the menfolk wanted meat and potatoes and veggies for lunch and supper. Never had spaghetti, mac and cheese, many noodle dishes. The men worked hard, from early morning until late at night. Dad
ate enough for two men, but then he worked three jobs in his younger days. Loved grandma's pork chops; she cooked most of the meat in one of those cast iron skillets. Grandma's pies. Mom's cakes, left a lasting impression!!! LOL...

#214595 - 09/05/11 01:09 AM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
So who else remembers Shakey's Pizza? It was an early fast food success story, but I'm not sure if it's still in business. Here's an early Shakey's TV Commerical. There slogan was, "We serve fun at Shakey's - also pizza."

The only time we had meatless Fridays was when I was in elementary and high school. The cafeteria cooks would serve fish sticks in case there were Catholic children that observed meatless Fridays. I was raised Lutheran and we ate pretty much anything. laugh We only had to give up "something" like Saturday night dances during Lent.

I never ate pizza until I got out on my own. My mother never fixed pizza or pasta of any kind, when I lived at home. My poor mother was not much of a cook. She did the best she could.

LOL! I use to work at Shakey's pizza about a million years ago it seems like. It was in the late 70's. I think I hate pizza 3 nights a week since I could take home one pizza every night if I wanted. Cheap eating when you are on your own!

#214644 - 09/09/11 02:32 PM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: Cookie]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
So cookie eats pizza! Cute!

#214663 - 09/11/11 01:18 AM Re: Pizza on Fridays?? [Re: chatty lady]
lindasusan Offline

Loc: NJ
Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese; now that's comfort food.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved