The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#214855 - 09/30/11 10:02 PM Cell phones = impersonal
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
With our cell phones as our only means of calling friends/family, this means that in-laws etc. never get to talk to my DH because I'm the only one who answers my phone.

Relationships start waning. Hence, families start drifting.

Bad news.

#214862 - 09/30/11 10:18 PM Re: Cell phones = impersonal [Re: Di]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I don't think that's necessarily true for everyone, Di. When my family calls me on my cell, I always hand off the phone to my partner so he can talk to them, too. Plus, they email him sometimes, or he emails them something he thinks they'd enjoy.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#214865 - 09/30/11 10:28 PM Re: Cell phones = impersonal [Re: yonuh]
Di Offline

Well, then it must be my DH who's the problem!! LOL!

#214867 - 10/01/11 01:03 AM Re: Cell phones = impersonal [Re: Di]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Even so, Di and Yonuh, don't you think there is generally one person in every couple who becomes responsible for family communication?

It has always been that way for me, anyway. I recall back in the 70s when I married my first husband, and letter writing was still a major form of communication between families. Once we married, Bill turned all the letter writing over to me. Suddenly I was even the one who wrote to his mother!

And I even recall writing to her that things were getting strained between the two of us.

Pretty weird!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#214870 - 10/01/11 01:49 AM Re: Cell phones = impersonal [Re: Anne Holmes]
Di Offline

Yeah, just like having the bill paying handed over, too. I want a break from it. (sorry wrong place to vent!)

#214903 - 10/03/11 01:55 PM Re: Cell phones = impersonal [Re: Di]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
The only problem I see with the cell-phone issue is people using a phone when they're driving. I find that irritating. It's against the law here but many people ignore that law. Lots of folks walk around the malls and grocery stores with a phone to their ear. WB doesn't even answer our landline phone. Like Anne, I do all the communicating. I guess men think it's a woman thing like housework.

#214905 - 10/03/11 02:23 PM Re: Cell phones = impersonal [Re: Di]
Ellemm Offline

I hear what you are saying, Di. You might want to fight fire with fire just a little bit and decline to be the only person to do the talking. I certainly pass the cell phone to my husband; in fact, I'm quick to say, "Oh, I'll bet you want to talk to _____. Here he is." Hah!

Sometimes I don't think he's all that hot to talk to some of his goofy relatives, but I do my bit. I'm not doing this all myself. Fortunately for us, though, people want and expect to talk to both of us. (And sometimes neither of us wants to talk to whoever it is, but you gotta do what you gotta do.) Good luck!

#215668 - 12/05/11 12:29 AM Re: Cell phones = impersonal [Re: Ellemm]
jabber Offline

Anne,
I can't find your post that this is replying to. But I read, you said you keep your cell phone turned off, saving charge for when you need it. I keep my cell turned off but like the security of having it in case of an emergency. That being said, I charge it every couple of weeks. The mechanics of those cell phones are such, [with the clock, etc.] the battery runs down whether they're off or on. So methinks you may want to charge it every so often even though you seldom use it. IMHO! Just saying.

#215670 - 12/05/11 06:38 PM Re: Cell phones = impersonal [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Thanks Jabber, I DO charge it periodically. it's charging now, thanks for the reminder! smile I have a variety of reminders set up in my computer - to remind me to change the furnace filter, to remind me to pay my monthly property owners association fees (they don't send an invoice), etc. Guess I ought to add a weekly phone charge reminder.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215674 - 12/05/11 07:26 PM Re: Cell phones = impersonal [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Anne,
One of your post's sounded as if you just let the device be without charging. And that got me to thinking when you needed it, there wouldn't be any juice. I must've misread what you were saying. Prayers and blessings...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved