The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#215869 - 12/22/11 01:45 PM Anybody take Lyrica or Cymbalta?
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Does anyone take Lyrica and/or Cymbalta for nerve pain? I'm having a terrible time with trigeminal neuralgia -- I went thru a bad time with this over 10 years ago, then it got a lot better for all those years, but about two months ago flared up with a vengence. Pain is unbearable. Doctor prescribed Lyrica about 3 weeks ago (can't say that I'm seeing much of a difference in my pain levels) and added Cymbalta to it this week. I'm wondering if either one of these meds have helped anyone here. So far I just feel really tired most of the time and still in a lot of pain. I keep going the best I can but it's really hard sometimes.
I'm scheduled for an MRI today on my head, neck & shoulder. The doc thinks I may have a pinched nerve or something along those lines. Ugh is there anything worse than nerve pain?

#215871 - 12/22/11 02:41 PM Re: Anybody take Lyrica or Cymbalta? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
So sorry you're in pain, Crosstitch, nerve pain is awful. I don't have any experience with either of those meds. I hope your doc can help you with something!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#215872 - 12/22/11 02:45 PM Re: Anybody take Lyrica or Cymbalta? [Re: yonuh]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Crosstitch, I checked Dr. Weil's page and this is what he has to say about how he treats trigeminal neuralgia: "a nasal spray of the nonaddictive narcotic drug Nubain (nalbuphine hydrochloride). Because Nubain comes as an injectable drug, your physician will have to ask a pharmacist to make it up into a nasal spray for you, but it is a safe drug and does work well for some people with your condition. I also recommend trying acupuncture and hypnosis, both of which may prove helpful. Taking a calcium/magnesium supplement can help calm overactive nerves."

I have always found his recomendations to be sound and helpful. Don't know if this will work for you, but it may be worth discussing with your doctor.

Get better soon!
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#215875 - 12/22/11 05:54 PM Re: Anybody take Lyrica or Cymbalta? [Re: yonuh]
Mountain Ash Offline

Cross stitch
my sympathy to you..I also have this...since shingles...it is simply terrible.I could draw the pain pathway from memory...it re occurs when I am below par...so I pace my life and keep my head warm with a hat in the chill...
take care...

#215877 - 12/22/11 07:13 PM Re: Anybody take Lyrica or Cymbalta? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
My sympathies too, on your pain, Crossstich. I don't have any personal knowledge of those drugs either. But I do think highly of Dr. Weil, so I thank Yonuh for checking his site and passing his info along.

Based on my experience, Mountain Ash is correct that we can't discount the importance of pacing ourselves and keeping warm. Both hard to do during holiday times. But I can say from personal experience that my health and energy levels have been so much better since I started using my PAP machine to treat my sleep apnea -- allowing me to get deeper, better sleep -- AND making sure to get at least seven hours of sleep a night.

So if you can get enough relief from the pain to sleep, I highly recommend it!!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#215884 - 12/23/11 12:45 PM Re: Anybody take Lyrica or Cymbalta? [Re: Anne Holmes]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Thanks for the replies. I made a note of the Nubain and will ask my doctor about it. I live in Florida, keeping warm is not exactly an issue. (And it may be wierd but actually cold feels good on it -- like when I walk the dog in the morning and the air is cooler than it is later in the day). I've tried acupuncture ages ago without any noticable results. Had my MRI yesterday. Not supposed to see the doc again til Jan 18th. Don't know how I'm gonna make it that long. Like I said I went thru this years ago but that fact isn't helping much now. Maybe because I'm older, maybe because memory tends to change things, but it seems 10 times worse now. It's gotta be one of the most miserable conditions there is.

#215885 - 12/23/11 03:00 PM Re: Anybody take Lyrica or Cymbalta? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Hi Cross,
I'm sorry 2 hear U R in pain. Here's a site that may help. Don't know 4 sure, but the Mayo Clinic claims B-12 helps with pain, 2.

http://neuropathytreatmentgroup.com

#215903 - 12/24/11 01:40 PM Re: Anybody take Lyrica or Cymbalta? [Re: jabber]
Mountain Ash Offline

Thinking of you..and hope that things ease..there is an operation but personally I have decided not to go down that route

#215937 - 12/28/11 02:42 PM Re: Anybody take Lyrica or Cymbalta? [Re: Mountain Ash]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Hi Cross,
While researching info that might help U, I shared this B-12 info with a friend. She bought B-12, 3000 mcg and started taking (1) pill daily. The pain keeping her awake at night, eased. The B-12 label reads, "Essential for Energy Production and a Healthy Nervous System." They're tiny softgels, which shouldn't be a problem to the digestive track.

#215947 - 12/28/11 11:52 PM Re: Anybody take Lyrica or Cymbalta? [Re: jabber]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Doc said MRI showed something in my sinus which might be the trigger causing the pain. She has started me on antibiotics and Flonase. Hoping this works. She wants me to continue on the Lyrica and Cymbalta (which the doc at the pain center started me on. Just keeping all the meds straight is a hassle in itself. Today was a better day for the most part........hoping days continue to get better! Have a follow up appt at the pain center on Jan 11th (they moved it up from the 18th after I called and asked if I could be seen sooner). Will keep that appt no matter how I'm feeling at the time to see what they have to say.

Edited by CrosstitchQueen (12/28/11 11:53 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved