The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#216848 - 04/02/12 12:32 AM Boomers Are Divorcing More Than Other Ages
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Apparently, according to the National Center for Family & Marriage Research at Bowling Green State University, recent research shows we Boomers are now divorcing at a higher rate than are other age groups.

Not too surprising, IMHO, since there are so many of us.

But a reporter for the Kansas City Star interviewed me last week for a story on this topic, and here's the result.

Not much of what I said made it into the story, but facts are facts and this trend provides an interesting - not to mention challenging -- new "bump" for our big demographic.

Here's another article on the topic. This one from the Huffington Post which indicates that this growing trend has a name: gray divorce.

Anyone else want to chime in on this topic?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216849 - 04/02/12 01:41 PM Re: Boomers Are Divorcing More Than Other Ages [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
I think it stinks. By the time a person gets to the "gray" stage, they should have enough sense to work things out. I divorced once; and IMHO nobody wins! The kids suffer. The couple involved suffer. I hate divorce!

#216854 - 04/02/12 08:37 PM Re: Boomers Are Divorcing More Than Other Ages [Re: jabber]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Well said, Jabber!

#216861 - 04/04/12 04:12 AM Re: Boomers Are Divorcing More Than Other Ages [Re: Di]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Interesting stats. Anne. We can speculate what the reasons could be.

I just for all of us here, we have personal friends for a long time that help along the way and have some good times together. Friendship is always valued.

#216863 - 04/04/12 01:29 PM Re: Boomers Are Divorcing More Than Other Ages [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

Thanks Di. I wasn't sure what reaction I'd get from that stance.

orchid,
I agree that friendship is a blessing!

#217081 - 04/27/12 01:08 AM Re: Boomers Are Divorcing More Than Other Ages [Re: jabber]
Boomerina Offline

The two worst things about divorce:

1. The kids suffer. If you don't have kids, you shouldn't stay married to someone you hate.

2. You lose all your married female friends.

I'm 59 and on marriage number three. I'm going to tough this one out till the bitter end because I don't want to end up dating when I'm 60. I don't think I could handle it again. What do you think?

Christina Gregoire See my site: http://boomerinas.com/

#217086 - 04/27/12 01:13 PM Re: Boomers Are Divorcing More Than Other Ages [Re: Boomerina]
jabber Offline

Had a friend marrying in her 60s, after retiring. This was her 1st marriage. The entire situation is an ugly mess. And I have relatives married more times than you; they're still not happy, after a half dozen tries!

#217096 - 04/29/12 10:17 PM Re: Boomers Are Divorcing More Than Other Ages [Re: jabber]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
What makes that first time marriage @60 yrs. a mess, jabber?

As for
Quote:
You lose all your married female friends.

I doubt this will ever be a problem for me:
*only some are married
*others have been:
a) single their whole life
b) not married, but did with someone for a few years.

I'm not married anyway. With the same guy for last 20 yrs. Not that it's not as honourable and as loving, but we feel it is.

Personally it is sad particularily if it's been a a marriagae of several decades to have it end at this stage in life.

Edited by orchid (04/30/12 12:23 AM)

#217110 - 04/30/12 01:22 PM Re: Boomers Are Divorcing More Than Other Ages [Re: orchid]
jabber Offline

orchid,
Rather not go into this, again. I've been complaining about her situation 4 over 7 years. This friend is now in the arms of The Lord, after losing everything she worked an entire lifetime building, which was substantial. Aside from that evildoers successfully sullied her memory. There are some "later-in-life" relationships that are not all sunshine and roses!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved