The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#216859 - 04/04/12 04:08 AM Defining self-identity over time & snapshot
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
My latest blog post gives highlights of how I have imagined my personal connections to a land far from me where my parents came from.

Each person goes through different paths to define their family roots, the differences between previous generations and now, etc.

And yea, there is a snapshot from long ago. Enjoy.

#216862 - 04/04/12 01:17 PM Re: Defining self-identity over time & snapshot [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

I found this blog very interesting.Asia has undergone great change and shifting power.I have friends who were lecturers there and family who have visited.Even between two visits my family saw change.I know people work very hard and when we see road works here taking ages to be complete I am told that a road can appear almost overnight such is the work ethic.
Many Scots emigrated to Canada never to return although folk songs and music survived and adapted..so first generation emigrants may just be pragmatic such is the vast step they took.

Two great Uncles did emigrate to Canada both came "home" one early to establish a business another to retire..The second left married family in Canada..So my folks did return.

#216869 - 04/04/12 06:22 PM Re: Defining self-identity over time & snapshot [Re: orchid]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Great post, Orchid. Thanks for sharing the link with us. It is always interesting to see how cultures mix and mingle when they connect in major cities around the world. That's one reason I have loved my visits to Vancouver.

New York City, of course, is also a melting pot of many cultures, but I've not spent much time there.

More close to home for me, is the great city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which has long been known as a European melting pot, with people from Germany, most well-known, as they have made Milwaukee well-known for beer and schnitzle. But other European cultures are also well represented. During the summer months, they celebrate these cultures weekly, with big ethnic street festivals.

Among them, German, Polish, French, Greek, Scottish, Irish, Mexican - even Asian, African and Arab.

That's right, Milwaukee has also become home to immigrants from Asia, the Middle East, and Central and South America.

The Hmong, refugees from the political order established with the formation of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic in 1975, are a significant new group, for example.

So, I wonder whether the mix of Germanic and Asians foods you so lovingly describe in your post is happening there, too?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#216870 - 04/05/12 11:32 AM Re: Defining self-identity over time & snapshot [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
That would be great if there was a mix of the foods in that area, Anne.

There's a town in Washington state that we visited which has a year round German theme ..some of the many shops, festivals, decorations etc. It's Leavenworth. Pics here.

I think that's why Mountain Ash, I am not as driven to visit China: I think it's just become more wanting to be like..North America. But then, it's probably only the wealthy areas.

Glad you all enjoyed something from the post.

Edited by orchid (04/05/12 11:36 AM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved