The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 132 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#217246 - 05/23/12 09:33 PM Take Back Our Health
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I just read a post by Mark Hyman, MD that I found so compelling I just have to promote the link and encourage everyone to read it.

The post is called "Skinny Fat People: Why Being Skinny Doesn’t Protect Us Against Diabetes and Death"

Here's the link:

Being Skinny Doesn't Protect Us from Diabetes, Death

And in case you're short on time, here's a couple of pithy paragraphs from the post:

Quote:
A surgeon friend of mine recently told me that even in people of normal weight, he found belly’s full of fat – caked around their colon, liver, kidneys, and draped over all their organs. This is caused by our industrial diet full of high fructose corn syrup, added sugars, trans-fats, flour and processed food.

The average American eats 29 pounds of French fries, 23 pounds of pizza, 24 pounds of ice cream and consumes 53 gallons of soda, 24 pounds of artificial sweeteners, 2.736 pounds of salt and 90,700 mg of caffeine per year. Do we really think we can create health in that toxic environment?

That is why we need to “unjunk” our food, and particularly our children’s food. Yes, it is horrible that in less than a decade we have gone from one in ten kids to almost one in four kids with pre-diabetes or diabetes. Even the skinny kids are affected because of the toxic industrial food-like substances that provide too much energy and not enough good information.

I'm just starting to hear about this new HBO Program - "The Weight of the Nation" - designed to educate our nation about the pressing problem of obesity.

You don't need to have HBO to see the four programs. They are available at that online link.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217259 - 05/25/12 02:42 PM Re: Take Back Our Health [Re: Anne Holmes]
Ellemm Offline

Anne, from my limited understanding, it's the sugars in particular that are killing us. Not just because they fatten us, but also because they do things inside us that are bad. Sugar, high-fructose corn syrup, doesn't matter -- we eat way too much of it and it's killing us. Plus, we now have fat young women who are getting pregnant and passing a lot of their own negative metabolic processes to their unborn children. People laugh about their dinners of french fries and chicken fried steak but it's not funny.

And somehow, even the people who scream about how bad the government is expect their healthcare plans to pay for their bariatric surgeries. We're all in this and we just need to get off. Eliminate sodas and chips, drastically cut down on starches, and concentrate on lean proteins, vegetables, beans, and fresh fruit.

And you know? There's nothing new about this. We already know what we should be eating, but it's just so easy to go and get more of that ice cream.

#217261 - 05/25/12 07:15 PM Re: Take Back Our Health [Re: Ellemm]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
You are right, Ellemm,

And ever since I was a small child, my father has always preached that the easiest exercise to do is to push yourself away from the table.

But as you implied, people no longer eat just at the table. we eat at our desks, in our cars -- even at places where we are supposed to be getting exercise. (For example, at my local golf course, there is a woman whose job it is to drive around in a cart that dispenses drinks and snacks to the golfers on the course. And at my gym, which is in a hospital, there are vending machines near the changing rooms. And they're not just selling water and fruit.)

I'm not one to pontificate here, I need to get more exercise myself. I'm just saying it is getting harder to get away from the opportunities for bad food choices.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved