The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 153 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#217804 - 09/05/12 07:47 PM Michelle Obama's Speech
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
OK, we talked about Ann Romney's speech, so it is only fair to also discuss what the First Lady had to say.

Who wants to be the first one to weigh in?

I looked for articles about it in Google, and caught one link that indicated she had dominated Twitter. (Something about 28,003 tweets-per-minute at its peak, double what was achieved by Romney's acceptance speech.

I also caught this article on the Washington Post's opinion page.

and in the interest of fairness, here's a guy who says he didn't buy a line of it.

So how do we feel here at BWS?

(I'll begin by saying I loved her dress, but was amazed that they were discussing her nail polish color on the Today show this morning. Mentioned this to Steve, but he hadn't noticed dress or nails. Sorry to sound so shallow, but in my defense, I studied fashion design in college -- I naturally see the clothes, it's in my genes. And I don't want to start out by saying anything that would influence the discussion on her message.)

www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217805 - 09/05/12 08:29 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Speech [Re: Anne Holmes]
Ellemm Offline

I thought she did a great job. So did Ann Romney. They're both terrific women as far as I can see. I think Michelle hit exactly the right notes for her husband's candidacy. But the conventions are pep rallies and it's to be expected that they will be well received.

In fairness to Ann Romney, I think Michelle Obama has a more commanding presence on stage and was able to benefit from better speechwriters.

But I'll say the same: These women aren't running for office.

#217806 - 09/06/12 11:23 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Speech [Re: Ellemm]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Michelle Obama comes across as being sincere, warm and intelligent. She has charisma. And she appears to be the type of person that deserves respect. I enjoy hearing her talk and watching her facial expressions as she does so. Good speech.
The lady can't help but be an asset!!!

#217811 - 09/08/12 12:43 AM Re: Michelle Obama's Speech [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

Here's what stumps me: [censored] Morris said on "The Factor" last night, that Bill Clinton really doesn't want Obama to win the election. If that's true, then what the heck was Clinton's
speech about? Can U tell me that???

#217812 - 09/08/12 02:36 AM Re: Michelle Obama's Speech [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I've heard that too. In fact, I just heard it on tonight's episode of HBO's "Real Time with Bill Maher."

But I don't know whether I am politically savvy enough to explain it...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217813 - 09/08/12 12:25 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Speech [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

I'm sure it's hugely complicated. But politicians should not play with the public's head like this. It's cruel.

#217816 - 09/09/12 04:38 AM Re: Michelle Obama's Speech [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

Here's the best I understand it, but it doesn't make sense. (Sometimes I think Mr. Morris is too in love with the sound of his own voice to be taken too seriously).

Anyway, here are the possible scenarios:

1. Obama loses in November and Romney is elected.

2. In 2016, Obama could present a problem to Hillary Clinton running for president if he decides to run again. Remember, you can serve two terms, but if you have only served one, you can run again. If Obama went against Hillary, it would be bad for her aspirations for president.

This makes no sense. First of all, no one knows if Hillary wants to run for president anyway. Second, I seriously doubt that Obama could lose the election in 2012 and manage to be renominated in 2016. It just doesn't work that way. Once you have lost you are out.

And the third and biggest reason, if Romney wins in 2012 and Hillary seeks to run against him in 2016, she'd have to try and unseat an incumbent, which is really, really difficult to do. Not impossible, but a very uphill strategy. If Hillary wants to run in 2016, she'd have an easier path with an outgoing Democratic president and a strong Democratic party.

So there. It doesn't make sense to me that Bill Clinton would want Obama to lose because none of the 2016 strategies are helped by him losing. Just silliness, and there's plenty of that around....

Edited by Ellemm (09/09/12 04:42 AM)

#217818 - 09/09/12 01:40 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Speech [Re: Ellemm]
jabber Offline

Don't think Hillary will run again but could be wrong. Perhaps there are reasons beneath the surface none of us can see! As far as [censored] Morris is concerned, he has a head full of statistics, background experienced and is very learned. SIL is of the opinion, O'Reilly likes to bloivate too much!

#217819 - 09/09/12 03:04 PM Re: Michelle Obama's Speech [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

Oh, there's plenty of bloviating going around! But my husband is a statistician who has specialized in voting and voting behavior. I ran Mr. Morris' theory past him and he said it was just goofy, so there's a competing opinion. And my husband has written books on voting and elections and the like. (They're not books anyone normal would want to read! They're all statistical and heavy going.)

On all the channels, there's lots and lots of what-if? political talk. They need to fill the air time, I think.....

#217820 - 09/10/12 02:01 AM Re: Michelle Obama's Speech [Re: Ellemm]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I like Michelle. But honest, we can't focus on the wives' speeches (including Romney). Neither of these ladies are running for office, no matter how intelligent. Unless they step up the campaign podium to run...

I don't follow U.S. politics much. So Hillary is non-existent in my world.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved