The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 115 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#217931 - 10/05/12 08:04 PM Brunch Anyone?
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I woke up this morning and decided that I felt like eating brunch. I quick dose of reality took over, and I realized that there was no time this morning for a special "brunchy meal."

So Steve got bagels and cream cheese and I had toast and peanut butter. Then I saw an article online listing the top 10 restaurants for brunch -- in the US. Here's the list from SuccessfulMeetings.com:
Quote:

Everybody loves brunch -- it's breakfast, but with a weekend wallop packed in. Here are 10 top hotels for brunch nationwide.

1. Polo Lounge, Beverly Hills, CA

This spot is so famous it hardly needs an introduction. Longtime favorite menu items like Nutella-and-strawberry slathered French toast compete with unique items like Thai crab cakes.

2. The Broadmoor Lake Terrace Dining Room, Colorado Springs, CO
If the words "chocolate fountain" don't immediately sell you, consider that prime rib, honey-baked ham, made-to-order eggs Benedict and omelets, Belgian waffles, and bagels and lox are also on the menu.

3. Four Seasons Hotel Miami Edge, Steak & Bar, Miami, FL

This brunch menu runs the gamut from high to low-end cuisine. Classic dishes like Eggs Florentine butt up against a "taco truck station" serving braised short ribs and chilaquiles.

4. The Waldorf-Astoria Peacock Alley, New York, NY

Old school doesn't have to mean old news! Live piano music in the Waldorf-Astoria's Peacock Alley lobby lounge sets the stage for eggs Benedict with lobster, filet mignon, crepes, a raw shellfish bar, and pyramids of caviar.

5. Lacroix at The Rittenhouse Hotel, Philadelphia, PA
Sometimes you just have to throw out the playbook. The Rittenhouse brunch is characterized by dishes like jalapeño shortbread, black garlic Shoo Fly pie, and foie gras granola bars.

6. InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco Top of the Mark
This elegant 19th floor restauarant hosts a Sunday Champagne Brunch with all the trimmings and then some -- by which we mean dim sum!

7. The St. Regis Princeville Resort Makana Terrace, Kauai, HI

Eating outdoors in Hawaii is already enough to make one's mouth water in anticipation, but add in temptations like snow crab claws with a mango horseradish sauce and mac and cheese with lobster and truffles and you've got a true winning proposition.

8. The Grand America Hotel Garden Café, Salt Lake City, UT
Held in the hotel's outdoor cafe, offerings at this sumptuous Sunday brunch include Cornish game hens with peach barbecue sauce, raspberry-studded Ebleskivers with chocolate sauce, a seafood martini station, and even an artisan cheese cart.

9. The Jefferson Rotunda Lobby, Richmond, VA
Live music characterizes this Champagne brunch, along with made-to-order omelets, oysters on the half shell, spoonbread, and house-made charcuterie.

10.The Edgewater Six Seven, Seattle, WA
The views are a draw at this famous Seattle spot -- the Beatles once fished from one of the hotel's oceanview rooms! -- but the menu is no slouch. Six Seven serves up Pan-Asian twists on classic seafood dishes. Think Dungeness crab and spinach Benedict.

Those must all be fantastic brunch locales, but I've never had the pleasure of enjoying a meal at any of those places.

Anyone have any wonderful brunch locations to share? Or perhaps you'd prefer to share your favorite brunch recipe?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217932 - 10/06/12 11:09 PM Re: Brunch Anyone? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We've never been to any of the restaurants listed here, but we do enjoy going out for brunch occasionally. We usually wait until we visit hubby's daughter in Montreal; hubby and I will have a wee bite early in the morning, then we all go for Saturday brunch at our favourite Chinese Dim Sum restaurant in Chinatown. We go on Saturday because we're usually driving home on Sundays.

I love Sunday buffet brunches; when my family was still having family reunions (they were always this weekend every year [it's our Canadian Thanksgiving weekend]), we always went to a special buffet restaurant for Sunday brunch and it was always such a treat! Usually on the Thanksgiving Sunday, they would have lots of seafood. Then on the Monday, they'd have all the Thanksgiving stuff, so sometimes we'd all stay for Monday brunch, then head home. Much fun, good food and wonderful memories.

(Maya Angelou)

#217933 - 10/06/12 11:19 PM Re: Brunch Anyone? [Re: Eagle Heart]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Never been to any of those you listed, Anne. But they sound fantastic. Love breakfast. Love brunch. There's a country club about twenty miles away that we go to for brunch, now and again, across from Buffalo Hill Village.

Heard that it's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada, Eagle Heart. There was a time when we all celebrated our birthdays at a restaurant in Fort Erie, alongside the Niagara River. Enjoy your getaway!

#217934 - 10/07/12 01:37 AM Re: Brunch Anyone? [Re: jabber]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
We don't do our Thanksgiving family reunion anymore, Jabber. Since my Dad, Mom and brother died, nobody has had the heart for it since. Maybe next year.

But we'll cook some turkey drumsticks on Monday for the two of us.

(Maya Angelou)

#217935 - 10/07/12 02:29 AM Re: Brunch Anyone? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Happy Thanksgiving, Eagle Heart. Enjoy those drumsticks!

I've never eaten brunch at any of the places on that list, either.

I recall having a fantastic Easter Sunday brunch with Steve and the kids roughly 20 years ago at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco. The kids were blown away by the wonderful fresh strawberries they were serving. Maybe they were so good because they were locally grown, I don't know. But they were large and lovely and so JUICY.

I recall that our waiter so loved how delighted the kids were with the fruit that he kept bringing them extras...

Another really memorable brunch for me took place in Dallas. I was there for a conference; and my brother and his wife, who live in Dallas, surprised me by picking me up and taking me to this fabulous place. Sadly, the name is on the tip of my tongue, but my brain can't come up with it...

We have some wonderful brunches at local restaurants here in Galena. Hopefully everyone does...

As far as my favorite brunch food. I'm not sure. A really good stuffed French toast would get me interested. So would one of those "dutch baby" puffed apple pancakes. I'd enjoy either with some really good thick bacon on the side. Wonderful fresh fruit and some sort of special potato would be good sides for this brunch I am imagining... Maybe something beefy. too.

I like a mixture of sweet and savory in my brunches...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved