The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#219172 - 07/06/13 03:21 PM HELP...!
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Been fighting an infestation of tiny black ants. I spray with Raid House & Garden and clear them out of one area and they
pop up in another area. Do any of U know of a natural remedy?
I asked [Ask.com]; there they say spray with Lemon Juice and put cinnamon in the cupboards, which I shall try! What say you???? Thanks!

#219173 - 07/06/13 08:31 PM Re: HELP...! [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I don't know that you have to pick one or the other, Jabber. While I've not heard of either of those remedies, I would think you could try both.

Years ago I dated a guy who used boric acid to kill ants in his kitchen. I only saw the traps he'd made once, but I did look up "boric acid as an insecticide" on Google and found several links including this one -- from about.com.

I don't know if you consider boric acid a "natural remedy" but I'll add this info to the discussion for what it's worth.

Good luck! I'm sure this must be vexing you, as I know I HATE having bugs in my house, and have to confess that for the past year I've relied on a monthly treatment by a professional exterminator.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219174 - 07/06/13 10:52 PM Re: HELP...! [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Thank you Anne. I tried the lemon juice and the cinnamon both.
And that seems to be working. I've had ants other years and used ant buttons, which worked fine. But this year the ants are very, very tiny and I don't think they can even get inside those ant buttons. Raid Home & Garden works a bit but didn't stop others from returning. It seems to be under control since I tried the lemon and cinnamon. I'll know in the morning if that has cured the situation. If not, I will try the boric acid. Thanks again.

#219175 - 07/07/13 01:17 PM Re: HELP...! [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

The lemon juice works. And it's a good thing. With my enemies' friends having me in the cross hairs, don't think buying acid is a wise thing to do. LOL...

WB sprays the lawn, front and back patios, and the brick walkway around the in-ground pool with pesticides; but don't like spraying stuff in the house with 2 dogs living here.

Glad this lemon juice thing works.

I run a tight ship too, Anne, as far as keeping things clean and spotless. Ants and bees are the only drawback to summer, IMHO! Otherwise, my favorite time of year is from May to September!!!!

#219177 - 07/07/13 02:59 PM Re: HELP...! [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I hate ants in the house and I'm not too fond of them in the yard either. We use Orange Guard or vinegar as a barrier to keep them out of the house and use both of those to spray anthills when we find them in the backyard. When all else fails, we use bait traps and cover them with a flower pot to keep the dogs out. I don't like spraying pesticides because they can affect our birds, bees, lizards, etc. and they can end up in our water supply. For that same reason, we don't spray weeds but pull them up one by one.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#219192 - 07/09/13 11:22 PM Re: HELP...! [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

I can't believe the lemon juice works. But it does. They're still gone! How sweet is that!

#219195 - 07/10/13 06:13 PM Re: HELP...! [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
I guess since ants are attracted to "sweet" they are repelled by "sour." Glad it works, and I will keep that in mind should any ants try invading here.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#219343 - 08/13/13 02:51 PM Re: HELP...! [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

yonuh, Thank you for the Orange Guard tip. I ordered it and really like it. Had never heard of it before your post. Thanks again!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved