The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220048 - 04/18/14 02:41 PM Cultural Differences in Responsibility?
Ellemm Offline

I'm not sure if these post even belongs here, but what the heck.

Lately in the news I have been hearing about the one-year anniversary of the explosion in West, Texas that resulted in 15 deaths, about 160 injuries, and more than 150 buildings damaged or destroyed.

I know a little about the fire protection business, and the place was a disaster waiting to happen. Texas apparently has no adopted building codes or zoning laws, so the fertilizer storage facility over the years was joined by a nearby school, nursing home, and so on. In addition, Texas law does not require installed fire protection in storage facilities like this (the ammonium nitrate is commonly used in agriculture, but was also the same stuff used in the Murrah Building bombing.) The facility was also constructed of wood. Safety inspections are not required, and no one has any authority to make businesses like this reduce hazards.

Well, we all know what happened there. After a year, nothing. No new laws, no demands to protect the more than 20 other facilities in the state built like this -- nothing. The anti-regulatory climate in Texas is so entrenched that I guess these folks and their property are acceptable collateral damage. (Other states have zoning laws and fire protection demands for facilities like this.)

Contrast that to the ferry that just sank off the coast of South Korea. Tremendous apologies, public shame (I have no idea what caused the ferry to sink). I think an official has already committed suicide. The owner in West, Texas? The townspeople said he surely feels bad about what happened, but there you are.

I know these are just two incidents, but the reactions to them have been very, very different. Interesting.

Edited by Ellemm (04/18/14 02:42 PM)

#220049 - 04/18/14 03:11 PM Re: Cultural Differences in Responsibility? [Re: Ellemm]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
The push for fewer regulations is spreading everywhere, not just in Texas. Let's face it, we live in a near oligarchy. It doesn't matter what the people want as long as the elite get what they want.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#220051 - 04/18/14 05:16 PM Re: Cultural Differences in Responsibility? [Re: yonuh]
Ellemm Offline

Well, in the case of West, it would appear that the folks involved don't care that much, so it's perfect. No accountability. I thought we were given brains to use them. Apparently that's optional. (That's just me, of course. I'm not much of a shrug-your-shoulders kind of person).

#220052 - 04/18/14 05:29 PM Re: Cultural Differences in Responsibility? [Re: yonuh]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Ellemm, you make an interesting point. An excellent one.

When I heard about the updated ferry news this morning, I was startled to hear that the school's vice principal had committed suicide just as you had noted.

My first thought. of course, was "why?" Surely he couldn't be feeling responsible for the students' deaths: IMHO it couldn't possibly be considered his fault.

It's been awhile since I've had kids in public school, but as I recall, here in the US, when our kids go out on school-sponsored field trips, as this one was, we parents routinely sign a waiver of responsibility when we give permission for our kids to go on the trip.

So I chalked the S Korean principal's reaction up to
"cultural differences."

And, as for the Texas story that you related, I'd say it is the same thing: "cultural differences." My brother lives in Texas, has for roughly 30 years. I talked to him a few months ago, with regard to whether or not he thought Texas would be a good state to move to, in retirment. After all, they have little snow or ice, and they have no state income tax, and social security income is not taxed.

But he said he would not recommend moving here, apparently due to his opinions on state politics. I got the idea he believes Texas politicians still act as if Texas is a part of the wild west of the 19th century. Kind of "caveat emptor" to the max...

Thanks for the interesting comparison of POV with regard to responsibility, Ellemm.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220061 - 04/21/14 12:13 PM Re: Cultural Differences in Responsibility? [Re: Anne Holmes]
Mountain Ash Offline

Cultural differences are strong in a persons mindset.."Face" in particular when what matters is what others think..strong in Asia and may be inbred and within a group very important.
Head teachers are a often a figurehead and removed from daily interaction with pupils but will be the first port of contact to parents and may absorb grief first hand.

It is a terrible tragedy and a whole year set wiped out will impact the whole school and community..

#220062 - 04/21/14 02:37 PM Re: Cultural Differences in Responsibility? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Ellemm Offline

Oh, I forgot to mention: the major source of funds to help rebuild? The federal government, particularly FEMA and the Small Business Administration. Sometimes I think we talk out of both sides of our mouths regarding responsibility.

#220076 - 04/25/14 12:28 AM Re: Cultural Differences in Responsibility? [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Originally Posted By: Anne Holmes
But he said he would not recommend moving here, apparently due to his opinions on state politics. I got the idea he believes Texas politicians still act as if Texas is a part of the wild west of the 19th century. Kind of "caveat emptor" to the max...

Thanks for the interesting comparison of POV with regard to responsibility, Ellemm.

Same here, Anne in Alberta. There is that tendency of unbound freedom across open prairies in attitude, action, etc. Rugged individualism of taken responsibility for self and for community.

What an illusion/delusion: as soon as we had a major damaging river flood that evacuated over 100,000 people last years, people were looking to the govn't for help/money, etc. We believe that our provincial economy is powerful, buoyed (but very dependent) on oil and gas industries here. Meanwhile the provincial govn't offers lots of corporate tax concessions to these industries, etc.

Very naïve. Alberta is like a boastful teenager that doesn't want to truly cut bank strings with parents (aka federal government and provincial govn't).

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved