The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220159 - 05/25/14 03:22 PM FREE websites...
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Do any of you have problems with "Free" websites not being free. They say they're free until you get nearly through the login process and then all the sudden they're billing you every month until you go through a ton of garbage cancelling the darn contact. Background checks for example is the last problem I encountered. It was free until I wanted to see what that pesky 'private security company' had posted about me, then all the sudden they wanted to charge me on a monthly basis. Had this happen with lawyers' and legal sites, and credit check sites, now instant background check sites. mad

#220164 - 05/25/14 08:35 PM Re: FREE websites... [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Jabber, what you're describing is typical marketing -- internet or otherwise. The concept is offer some small but valuable service -- or at least a part of it -- free so they can "lure you in."

Their hope is to get your contact information, of course. I'm not sure there is really anything of real value that is free in this world. Except BWS of course!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220168 - 05/26/14 08:17 PM Re: FREE websites... [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Well they say there are some credit reports that are free but I haven't one. To my way of thinking, this sort of thing should be against the law. If I get suckered in, and I do occasionally,
just think how many young people get caught-up in this stuff.
A few years ago, I asked for legal help. It was free, until they gave me a stupid answer a fifth-grader could've come up with. Then they wanted to charge my credit card $68.00 a month till the end of time, whether I asked for further advice or not. I caught their malarky in time and cancelled before they could
charge me. But what a rip-off. If something is free, then it should be free. Otherwise, don't say that it is. This type of marketing is dishonest and should not be labeled "Free", IMHO.

#220169 - 05/26/14 11:40 PM Re: FREE websites... [Re: jabber]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
I'm with you on this one, jabber. It's buyer beware out there for sure.

You are entitled to a free credit report from each of the major bureaus every 12 months, and any time you are turned down for credit because of your credit score. There is also a site called CreditKarma that is free; I haven't used it but it looks easy to sign up.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#220170 - 05/27/14 01:27 PM Re: FREE websites... [Re: yonuh]
jabber Offline

I've heard CreditKarma advertised on TV. Haven't tried it yet. One of the financial institutions that we do business with sends us yearly credit ratings, free. So, I haven't needed to use it. But IMHO charging for whatever a website advertises
to be "Free," is dishonest. You don't give someone a gift and then charge them for it.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved