The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 196 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#220142 - 05/20/14 04:35 AM What Would You Seek in a New Home?
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
NABBW Associate Jan Cullinane just posted a great new article about what single Boomer women are looking for in a home. She explains why 3 BR are a must, and more, in her article about "Women Centered" Design.

Check it out and share your thoughts!

Anne
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#220160 - 05/25/14 07:37 PM Re: What Would You Seek in a New Home? [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I actually don't understand older single women (anyone over 50) who would want even a multi-level, 3 bedroom home. How about 2 bedroom? Accommodate the guest in the den if you buy a sofa-bed.

Sorry, a bigger home with more rooms means..more cleaning. we aren't getting stronger, more energetic. It's the opposite.

I was intrigued a long divorced woman who just retired last year at I believe under 65, bought a 3 bedroom house for herself out in a small town. She lives alone. She has to drive everywhere to shop, etc. It's a 2 level house, I believe.

She is....over 60 lbs. overweight, has had knee pain over the last 5 years. She should not be living in a multi-level house at this stage in her life.

I think her daughter lives over 60 km. away. Her only child.

Seriously. We have to get a grip about our health...the amount of space for a home needs to be more efficient, less cleaning required, less climbing up and down the steps.

The linked article has some useful features about aging in place.

#220167 - 05/26/14 02:34 PM Re: What Would You Seek in a New Home? [Re: orchid]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
Everybody's different and some people like having the extra room and multi-levels. Maybe the house had other features that she really wanted, and maybe she likes spending her time cleaning.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#220172 - 05/28/14 12:42 AM Re: What Would You Seek in a New Home? [Re: yonuh]
orchid Offline

I'm not disagreeing with you Yonuh, but if a single woman wants to stay in her home as long as possible/age in place, she most likely will be unable to properly clean a home to her satisfaction when aging body is such that we don't as much energy anymore (just tiring) and not as mobile. ie. falling accidentally up and down stairs, etc.

And I'm a person still cycling at my age: I know I won't be able to bicycle forever. So that's why I choose to live in a city with transit, close to services so I can walk or take a short taxi ride. We really have to be so honest: how many people will be immediately near us to help us at our beck and call when we need them?

#220175 - 05/29/14 02:21 PM Re: What Would You Seek in a New Home? [Re: orchid]
Mountain Ash Offline

I believe everyone does what they think is best..a bigger home would allow a paid carer to stay in the house too and avoid the care home situation.
If the older person has emotional connection to her belongings more upset would be caused by downsizing .A paid cleaner is often the best idea..an eighty something relation manages very well in a two story home due to employing a cleaner (A male) and enjoys light gardening but has twice yearly whole garden tidy and regular grass cutting.She has worked hard invested her life and energy in a beautiful home ..we are always in contact and share many days out and short holidays.

#220177 - 05/29/14 07:38 PM Re: What Would You Seek in a New Home? [Re: Mountain Ash]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I agree, Mountain Ash. Everyone does what they think is best for themselves.

My husband is 73. We live in a 3-storey, 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom house and it's ideal for our lifestyle. We have the guest room we need, the third bedroom is our "travel room", where we store all the stuff we buy all year for Cuba, plus our many suitcases (because we need different ones for different types of travel, weightwise). The basement holds our freezer, pantry, treadmill, laundry room, desktop computer, hubby's TV (where he can watch all the war and pirate movies he wants to) and library.

We can't imagine enjoying living in a smaller house. And if we were to move, we would still look for a 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom with a basement.

The big benefit for us living where we live is that it's a townhouse in a condo development, so our condo board looks after all of the outside maintenance...shoveling, mowing, roof and window repairs, so hubby never has to climb a ladder. As for cleaning, etc, when the time comes that we can't do it anymore, we'll probably hire someone to come in and do it for us. And if stairs are a problem, we can install one of those hydraulic stair climber thingies.

Really, it's up to the individual to decide for him/herself what she/he wants/needs/is capable of handling. Whatever limitations and restrictions we choose to put on ourselves is our business...why is there any need to apply or impose our choice of limitations on someone else?

(Maya Angelou)

#220188 - 05/31/14 08:05 PM Re: What Would You Seek in a New Home? [Re: Eagle Heart]
orchid Offline

There are some advantages to condo /townhouse living.
I will not assume that I will be to afford to pay someone else to clean my house.... I already have a sister who lost her hearing in 1 ear and she's only 53 yrs. She lives in her own house and she needs to be careful about her balance. She still works. She cannot even afford to buy a computer because she is paying a mortgage.

And my parents in their 80's live in a 3 level house which we are not thrilled. They have a house but are poor. My father is dying from cancer and needs to be careful walking up and down staircases. Their children (siblings) are not around to help because they all work full-time because they must..

So I'd rather face the changes now and make clear decisions to adjust my homestyle living while I'm still healthy and working full-time. Rather than face the unpleasantness of someone else telling me what to do/where to live when I'm frail.

I have to...help myself now.

I think my partner's mother who lived until 93 yrs. Her husband died when she was 82 yrs. Her final home before nursing home was a small 500 sq. ft. new apartment and very clean. It was right for her since she was using a walker at that time. It was a bit small, but she liked her own place ..

I have lived in 770 sq. ft. sized condos for the last 25 yrs. across 3 different major cities. 1 condo I share with dearie.

Sure it would be nice have an extra rm. for painting, guest. But that means I have to pay more. Not the end of the world.

By the way, I have possessions across 2 cities....so gradually reducing stuff.

How can I live this?: I grew in a 1 bedroom apartment which mushroomed to 5 children in Onario (not in a developing country)...before my parents bought their lst house.

Let's see, there was pipe leak...and now we have to move our furniture for floor replacement.

Thank goodness, I don't have much to move around and stuff into my bedroom.

Edited by orchid (05/31/14 08:08 PM)

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved