The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 185 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#218658 - 02/22/13 08:35 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Anne Holmes]
zoe_morrison Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Hi Anne,
Well involved mightn't have been the right choice of words.
Familiar though: recognizing the benefits your Mom experienced while living in shared housing.
It sounds like it filled a need. Having a safe affordable option was a good fit for your Mom then.
Thanks for the conversation. I've been enjoying our talk.
Take care,
Zoe

Lets Share Housing
Personal Assistant & Shared Housing Advocate
503-719-5444 PST

#218819 - 04/06/13 09:36 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: zoe_morrison]
Tina Boomerina Offline

Loc: Seattle (most of the time)
For the woman who doesn't have any sisters to share housing with, you can have MINE. Of course, she's an unreliable thief and total beach, but it will take you a while to believe me on that, so you might have a few months of roommate bliss.

Cheers,
Tina Boomerina

I'm a newbie, so I don't have a signature or anything yet.
My website is Boomerinas.com.

We may not be babies anymore, but we can still be babes.

http://boomerinas.com/
http://pinterest.com/boomerinas/

#218820 - 04/06/13 11:01 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Tina Boomerina]
Tina Boomerina Offline

Loc: Seattle (most of the time)
Hi Zoe,

I find the idea of cohousing/shared housing interesting. Right now I'm married, but husbands come and husbands go... so I may need something like shared housing in the future.

Zoe, I've sent a message to the email address you have in your bio.

Cheers,
Tina Boomerina

We may not be babies anymore, but we can still be babes.

http://boomerinas.com/
http://pinterest.com/boomerinas/

#218931 - 04/27/13 07:08 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: zoe_morrison]
Calypso101 Offline

Loc: California
Hi,

I see a lot of similarities in our life. I was married for over 30 years and then widowed about six years ago. I've had several family members move in and out with me since then. When winter came and I lived alone, I usually left my heat off but luckily my house didn't get below the fifties and it was chilly but I could handle it with pajamas and two bathrobes on lol, oh yes, and my dog.

My little brother moved in with me a little over a year ago and he helps out a lot. So this shared housing is working out.

I am glad that yours did also.

#218932 - 04/28/13 11:00 AM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Calypso101]
Mountain Ash Offline

Many years ago when women teachers were expected to be single here in Scotland it was common to rent two rooms from a householder.This must have dealt with widows who needed extra income and allowed them to stay in the marriage home.

The teacher would have a bed room and sitting room and the use of bathroom..looking at the censcus details this happened everywhere.

#218933 - 04/28/13 05:45 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Mountain Ash]
zoe_morrison Offline

That's an arrangement that makes so much sense, doesn't it?
Seems many folks live alone and struggle to stay in their homes or with their heat down..etc.
Sharing a home makes so much sense.
Thanks for the historical bit about the schoolteachers and the widows. I'd love to know more!

Lets Share Housing
503-719-5444 PST

#218934 - 04/28/13 05:48 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Calypso101]
zoe_morrison Offline

Good you have a big enough space to share with your brother!
Were the folks who'd lived with you before he arrived a good fit, or were they just transitioning to something else.
It does take a little bit of 'exploration' to find someone who is a match for shared housing.
I'm glad you found a good fit with your brother and are now, hopefully, able to stay more comfortably in your home!
That's one of many great reason's for sharing a space. Thanks for telling your story that has a positive outcome Calypso101!

Edited by zoe_morrison (04/28/13 05:49 PM)

Lets Share Housing
503-719-5444 PST

#218935 - 04/28/13 06:47 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: zoe_morrison]
Mountain Ash Offline

Zoe
it was just a fact..women gave up teaching on marriage.We must remember that many teachers way back were the women who remained unmarried due to the massive loss of young men in WW1.
I certainly had spinsters as teachers.little ladies who wore patterned overalls over their clothes to save them from chalk dust

#220677 - 12/24/14 05:02 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Anne Holmes]
Candy Lee Offline

In San Diego we have these small groups of cottages that would make a perfect co-housing village for boomer women. It would be great to downsize, but still have a house, plus be surrounded by women. I have watched my friends lose husbands and try to manage a house, it is just so much work alone.
What would make this appealing to you?

#220679 - 12/24/14 10:49 PM Re: Looking out for each other in shared housing [Re: Candy Lee]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Hi Candy Lee. That small group of cottages scenario sounds inviting. Begin surrounded by other women in the same age group sounds like fun. I'd like to maintain a certain amount of independence. The San Diego setup sounds like the berries.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved