The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#221165 - 04/01/16 03:08 PM Favorite pastime...?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
What's your favorite way of spending spare time? confused

#221166 - 04/05/16 05:02 PM Re: Favorite pastime...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
It depends on how much time is available.

If we're talking days and/or weeks, I love to travel on cruise ships, but I don't much enjoy the part of the trip related to getting to the docks.

If we're just whiling away a few hours' time, I love to bake and read. But I'm starting to enjoy working out, too. Guess that's a result of all the working I've been spending prepping and rehabbing my knees. Right knee is pretty much all healed. I'm about to start on the left one.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#221168 - 04/05/16 09:37 PM Re: Favorite pastime...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Never been on a cruise ship and would like to try it but hubby gets seasick so that's out. Don't like to cook or bake much. I try to read at least an hour a day. We walk a mile and a half everyday.
And I do an hour of exercises 5 days a week.

Are you replacing your left knee too? I admire your grit and determination.

#221181 - 04/28/16 08:32 PM Re: Favorite pastime...? [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Thanks, for the praise of my grit and determination, Jabber.

But in my mind, its a simple equation, compared to a life in which I can't walk the length of a cruise ship, much less walk a mile and a half a day, like you two do. Not to mention that cooking and baking require a lot of standing...

So this coming Monday morning I will get up at 4:30, leave the house by 6:30 and arrive at the hospital at 7, so I can have my second knee replacement - less than 6 months from when I did the first.

I'll be in the hospital a few days, 1 overnight up to 3, depending on how well I do with my PT rehab. Last time the surgeon said I could go home after one night, but the physical therapists wouldn't let me go until I proved to them that I could walk up /down a flight of stairs with my walker - despite the fact that I would ABSOLUTELY never choose to do that. (It's pretty precarious and scary. And requires two people...)

Instead, once I get home, I'll be going up and down stairs with my cane - as I have for the last year - until I'm healed up enough to give-up the cane.

I'm not looking forward to the first few weeks of recovery. But I did very well with it before, and expect to do so again. I think recovery is at least 50% attitude, don't you?

Besides the, we have joined the Fitness Center where I had my therapy, and we've been going 3x/week. I'll keep that up through tomorrow, then Monday is surgery day. I'm hoping the strength and balance I have gained will make this recovery go even faster.

I'll be working with PTs again by Monday afternoon, and once I'm home, a therapist will come to the house 3x/week to work with me on exercise until I am cleared to leave the house. Then I'll return to the 60 minute 3x/week therapy at the Fitness Center for a few more months.

But enough about me. Let's talk about your cruise ship comments. In my experience - and we've been on about half a dozen cruises - there's little chance for seasick on a huge cruise ship. The ships are behemoths and they're extremely stable.

The only time I really have noticed one rocking was on our Alaska cruise, the morning we woke up as we were leaving the port. There's a narrow strait to navigate, and the ship was rocking. But as we were in bed when it happened, it was much more like being rocked in a cradle. Quite soothing, actually. However, my daughter says the same thing about her husband: Steve and I had thought about taking our kids and their significant others on a cruise for our 25th anniversary. But the kids said no - to a free cruise. Hard to believe!
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#221183 - 04/28/16 10:19 PM Re: Favorite pastime...? [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Good luck with your 2nd surgery. Hope all goes well and you heal very, very fast.

Hubby won't go on a cruise no matter how big it is. So that isn't even the span of possibility.

God bless!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved