The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#27309 - 01/20/03 04:36 AM Against war?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I received an email informing me that we can telephone President Bush and register our opinion about the pending war with Iraq.

Simply call 1-202-456-1111 (the While House opinion line), from Mon-Fri, between 9-5 EST. A machine will detain you for a moment and then a pleasant live operator will thank you for saying, "I oppose", or "I approve".

It only takes a minute!

I believe we have to speak up!

#27310 - 01/22/03 05:06 PM Re: Against war?
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
I too am fearful of the direction we're headed on two fronts. But as I know many who will have to serve, I think it's important to remember to be supportive of and thankful to our co-citizens who have to implement the president's plans. Whether they agree or disagree, they have no choice. I had a cousin who was killed in Vietnam and have quite a few friends who served there, only to return home to ridicule. We have to let the government know that we disapprove of their actions but we also have to support those who will fight Bush's battles.

#27311 - 01/22/03 07:37 PM Re: Against war?
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I don't think anyone is "for" war, including President Bush. No one will convince me that his motivation is oil or revenge or anything sinister like that. However, I do believe there are times when it necessary to protect ourselves from those who propose to destroy us. I agree wholeheartedly that our armed forces need to be supported by all of their countrymen, and I also believe our President has every good intention of avoiding war unless it is absolutely necessary to protect the citizens he serves. I guess my question to those who protest is, "What is your alternative?" Unless given a very good reason not to do so, I support our President. And yes, I have loved ones who would be involved, a nephew in the Army and a future son-in-law with the FBI, assigned to a counter-terrorism unit.

[ January 22, 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: WizardofZA ]

#27312 - 01/23/03 04:54 PM Re: Against war?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
In response to the question "what's your alternative?" to invading Iraq -- one thing that protestors say is, "let's not do this alone but get support from other countries." And since the UN inspection, they've all been backing away, except for England. Why? Do we really want to alienate them from helping with our bigger goal, which was to combat terrorists? We've lost a lot of international good will since 9/11.
A big worry that the Pentagon has now is what happens next? In fact, some of the biggest protestors are seasoned veterans in the Pentagon. Do we commit our already hurting economy to rebuilding Iraq? There was a recent article in the Atlantic monthly about Iraq become our 51st state because after we obliterate it, we'll have the obligation to reguild it.
Another alternative response is, "wait." The UN inspectors have still found nothing to indicate that Irag has anything that can potentially destroy anyone, and no one has found any links between Saddam Hussein and Al-Qaida.
So, with these two alternatives, why should we commit the lives of our young people? (I have two eligible sons).
With so much missing information, and so many questions, I personally would not pick up a weapon and throw myself into this battle.

#27313 - 01/24/03 05:32 PM Re: Against war?
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Here's another fact of the War to think about. This report is from the Brookings Institue, a well-respected think tank.

FACING SADDAM'S CHILD SOLDIERS
Although there is global consensus against the morality of sending children into battle, this terrible practice is now a regular facet of contemporary warfare. There are some 300,000 children under the age of 18(both boys and girls) presently serving as combatants around the globe,
fighting in approximately 75% of the world's conflicts. A war in Iraq would only boost these numbers. "One of the potential costs of a war in
Iraq may well be that U.S. military forces are forced to engage in combat with Baghdad's child soldiers," writes Peter Singer. Saddam Husayn's
deliberate recruitment of children into armed units may be a clear violation of the laws of war, but it is also a fact that U.S. policymakers
cannot avoid. Children may not belong on the battlefield, but they may well be present in a war with Iraq. The only question is whether our
troops will be prepared for the stress, trauma, and demoralization that accompanies fighting against children, a special category of individuals traditionally considered outside the scope of war.
http://www.brookings.edu/views/op-ed/singer/20030114.htm Brookings Article

[ January 24, 2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Candice Johnson ]

#27314 - 01/24/03 10:22 PM Re: Against war?
nillawafer Offline

Loc: new orleans
now that is disturbing. i had not even thought of that. some of these madmen leaders in other nations around the world will stop at nothing for the sake of themselves. using children to win their battles sickens my heart. it is truly horrible to think about "our boys" having to kill children for the sake of peace. they are doing the job they are trained and expected to do. because they have to do what they have to do in war, i have the utmost respect for our soldiers. it is the madmen that make children lose their lives and are used unnecessarily that have to be stopped. war is beyond hell. i, however feel it is part of global solution to conflict that must be used in times like these.

#27315 - 01/29/03 03:47 AM Re: Against war?
hearmeroar Offline

Let's not forget the part of the Lord's prayer, "and deliver us from evil."

We should all be reflective and prayerful during this time. Our prayers should include our enemies, as they are a part of God's beautiful creation and no-one is beyond His grace.

As for using children for war, we did that during the crusades. You would think we (as a world) would learn from our mistakes. The best we can do is start at home with our own children and be loving and comforting while we explain how all this works (as if we can conceive it ourselves.)

#27316 - 01/29/03 03:36 PM Re: Against war?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Last night while making dinner I was watching the 6:00 news. (so I can't break the habit of catching the latest in town scoop).

They were interviewing our soldiers heading off to what sounds like war.

This gentleman was showing a picture of his four daughters and mentioned that he was going to miss two of their weddings while he was away.

When asked how he felt about it, without missing a beat and without a tear in his eye, he replied with the courage and conviction of our men in uniform, "It's the price we pay for freedom."

I was moved to tears to think that this one soldier would miss his daughters weddings, to fight for me and my loved ones.

If this war does happen, maybe there is something the women in this boomer community can do to show our support to the people in uniform and their families.

#27317 - 01/29/03 06:25 PM Re: Against war?
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
For some years Dear Abby has had a web address that you can use to write to soldiers,sailors etc.
I think it's www.operationdearabby.com. There are other sites that you can access that will let you email those serving overseas. Maybe that is a way we can show our support. At the same time, if you are opposed to this war I received an email about a silent protest. I'll email Dots the details and she can decide how best to post it. But it involves sending 1/2 cup of uncooked rice in a baggie with the scripture, "If your enemies are hungry, feed them." Romans2:20 attached. The bags are to be mailed to the White House. I'll forward details.

#27318 - 01/29/03 11:14 PM Re: Against war?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Kathryn, I have been in touch with the people at, www.unitedforpeace.com, to find out if there is any legitimacy to that email. I will keep you posted. By the way, www.unitedforpeace.com, is a great site for those opposed to the threat of war. The site contains information about starting, attending, or supporting rallies, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved