The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#32718 - 10/09/03 05:08 PM Thought I'd share
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Got this at work and thought I would pass it along.

The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) is celebrating its 17th year of educating Americans about mental health with the first Bipolar Disorder Awareness Day on Thursday, October 9th during Mental Illness Awareness Week.

Bipolar Awareness Day brings to the forefront the devastating impact of bipolar symptoms on the lives of the 2.5 million adult Americans with bipolar and promotes bipolar disorder detection through 2,000+ free mental health screenings nationwide.

Misdiagnosis continues to be a major problem for those with bipolar disorder. Unfortunately, seven out of 10 people with bipolar disorder receive at least one misdiagnosis from their physician, while the typical bipolar consumer waits on average 10 years to be accurately diagnosed.

Furthermore, a recent Wirthlin survey shows that two-thirds of college students erroneously do not associate untreated bipolar disorder with the risks of alcohol/substance abuse, risky behavior or suicide (see press release below). In addition, the majority of Americans (78%) failed to name bipolar disorder as a mental illness.

Although awareness of bipolar disorder is growing in America, understanding of the disease's symptoms and health risks, as well as accurate and early diagnosis remains low. Knowing the facts about bipolar disorder and mental health screenings can save millions of American lives.

With this in mind, we urge you to inform your audience about the devastating impact and health risks of this disease and the importance of early diagnosis through mental health screenings.

For more information on Bipolar Awareness Day or to speak with our physician spokespersons or local patients about their experiences with bipolar disorder, please contact me at 312.751.3515.

Cordially,
Sophia Patel

New Study Reveals Two out of Three College Age Students Do Not Associate Untreated Bipolar Disorder with Risks of Substance Abuse, Suicide, Criminal Behavior

October 9th Marks First National Bipolar Disorder Awareness Day To Promote Understanding and Free Screenings Across the Country

Arlington, VA - October 8, 2003 - According to a new survey released by NAMI, The Nation's Voice on Mental Illness and Abbott Laboratories, two out of three of America's college age population erroneously do not associate untreated bipolar disorder with the risk of alcohol or drug abuse (66 percent), criminal activity or risky behavior (71 percent), and suicide (69 percent). In addition, 78 percent of Americans failed to name bipolar disorder as a mental illness, while 38 percent of participants could not name a single symptom associated with the disease.

These results amplify the need to continue public health efforts that support greater understanding of bipolar disorder. Tomorrow, October 9th, marks the first annual national Bipolar Disorder Awareness Day, celebrated during Mental Illness Awareness Week, to provide individuals with information about bipolar disorder, free mental health screenings, and referral to treatment for this disease.

Bipolar disorder (also known as manic-depressive illness) is a biochemically-based mood disorder that affects more than 2.3 million people in the United States. Symptoms and severity vary, but the disorder is marked by mood changes that cycle over time from periods of elevated mood (mania), to periods of depressed mood, to times when mood is normal.

"The impact of untreated bipolar disorder on a person's life is huge," said Richard C. Birkel, Ph.D., NAMI executive director. "Early detection and treatment can prevent years of illness-driven choices that produce devastating individual losses. Bipolar Awareness Day offers screening, education, information - hope - for the millions of Americans living with bipolar disorder."

Awareness Significantly Affected by Age, Race, Income and Education
According to the survey, awareness of bipolar disorder is greatest (39 percent) among women aged 35 to 54 and college aged students (35 percent). Both of these groups have significantly higher awareness than the average population (22 percent). Americans age 55 and older have the lowest awareness at a mere 12 percent.

Among African Americans, awareness levels are extremely low (10 percent) compared to Caucasians (24 percent) and Hispanics (23 percent).

The numbers are equally disparate for income and education. Only eight percent of those with some high school education indicated awareness of bipolar disorder versus 38 percent among those with some post graduate education. Families earning less than $15,000 a year showed only a 17 percent awareness level compared to 32 percent for those households earning more than $60,000 a year.

Understanding Among Respondents Discouraging
While awareness of the illness seems to be growing with rising generations, the survey revealed little understanding of the symptoms, diagnosis or devastating affects that untreated bipolar disorder has on the individuals and families living with it.

Nearly four out of 10 (38 percent) respondents could not think of one single symptom associated with bipolar disorder. And while 38 percent of respondents correctly identified mood swings as a symptom and 15 percent identified depression, no other symptom registered greater than five percent, including prevalent symptoms such as changes in sleep patterns and appetite, suicidal thoughts, lethargy, anxiety and irritability.

The majority of Americans are uninformed about the potential for people living with untreated bipolar disorder to abuse drugs or alcohol. Furthermore, there is little awareness of the high risk for suicide among this population or the risk for those with bipolar disorder to commit criminal acts. The uncertainty surrounding these factors is more pronounced among college age students where alcohol use tends to be more frequent and accepted. Seventy-one percent of college students either do not agree or do not know untreated bipolar disorder is associated with criminal acts or risky behavior, 69 percent either do not agree or do not know untreated bipolar disorder is associated with suicide, and 66 percent do not agree or do not know untreated bipolar disorder is associated with alcohol and drug abuse.

"It's alarming to see such low awareness among respondents of the potential for people with bipolar disorder to abuse alcohol, drugs and to commit suicide. Conclusive research indicates 50 percent of those with untreated bipolar disorder abuse alcohol and drugs and nearly 20 percent commit suicide," said Mark Frye, M.D., assistant professor of psychiatry at UCLA's David Geffen School of Medicine and director of the UCLA Bipolar Disorder Research Program. "It's critical that we increase awareness of the devastating impact bipolar disorder can have if left untreated to encourage greater diagnosis and treatment."

Bipolar Disorder Awareness Day
Bipolar Disorder Awareness Day celebrated during Mental Illness Awareness Week (October 5-11) was created to increase awareness of bipolar disorder, promote detection, and reduce the stigma and devastating impact on the 2.3 million adult Americans, approximately 1.2 percent of the population, affected by bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disorder Awareness Day coincides with National Depression Screening Day and promotes assessment through mental health screening sites across the country.

"Abbott shares in NAMI's commitment to educate people about bipolar disorder, its consequences and treatments through the first ever Bipolar Awareness Day," said Bill Dempsey, senior vice president, pharmaceutical operations, for Abbott's U.S. pharmaceutical business.

For additional information on bipolar disorder please visit NAMI's Web site at www.nami.org. To locate the more than 2,000 free depression and bipolar disorder screening sites across the country available on October 9, go to: www.mentalhealthscreening.org/locator/NDSDmap.htm

About Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder can be dangerous if left untreated or undiagnosed. According to recent statistics, as many as 20 percent of people living with untreated bipolar disorder take their own lives. In addition, patients have high rates of substance abuse and participate in behaviors risky to themselves and others. Misdiagnosis is still a common problem for people with bipolar disorder. However, the symptoms of bipolar disorder are highly treatable and manageable. Medication is an essential part of successful treatment.

Bipolar disorder often begins in adolescence or early childhood, with 90 percent of bipolar disorder patients experiencing onset before the age of 20. Delayed diagnosis and misdiagnosis is still a common problem contributing to 50 percent of bipolar consumers abusing alcohol or drugs. The average length of time from onset of symptoms to accurate diagnosis is 10 years. There is no cure for bipolar disorder, but with effective treatment and therapy, bipolar disorder is a highly manageable disease.

Survey Design, Methodology
The NAMI telephone survey was conducted by Wirthlin Worldwide and contains the results of 1,004 interviews conducted with adult Americans age 18+. Survey responses were gathered between September 19 and 22, 2003. All respondents interviewed in this study were members of a randomly-selected nationwide sample of American adults. An oversample of 275 college students age 18 to 24 was obtained through a listed sample. In general, random samples such as this yield results projectable to the entire universe of American adults within +/- 3.0 percentage points in 95 out of 100 cases.

About NAMI
As The Nation's Voice on Mental Illness, NAMI leads a national grassroots effort to transform America's mental health care system, combat stigma, support research and attain adequate health insurance, housing, rehabilitation, jobs and family support for millions of Americans living with mental illnesses. NAMI's 1,000 affiliates are dedicated to public education, advocacy and support and receive generous donations from tens of thousands of

individuals as well as grants from government, foundations and corporations. NAMI's greatest asset, however, is its volunteers - who donate an estimated $135 million worth of their time each year.

About Abbott Laboratories
Abbott Laboratories is committed to the research and development of treatments for neurological disorders. Abbott Laboratories is a global, broad-based health care company devoted to the discovery, development, manufacture and marketing of pharmaceuticals, nutritionals, and medical products, including devices and diagnostics. The company employs approximately 70,000 people and markets its products in more than 130 countries.

#32719 - 10/14/03 04:26 PM Re: Thought I'd share
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks Candice. I'm e-mailing this to two of my friends as we *speak*.

#32720 - 11/17/03 01:35 AM Re: Thought I'd share
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Well, thing have certainly changed for me on the mother-in-law front... she has become completely unmanageable now. She does weird things to wake us up and do us harm in the middle of the night. Last night, she called the police at 1:00 am. Claimed that we had locked her out of the house, and probably that we were abusing her in various ways. She had done a sort of "dry run" of calling the police a few days ago, and even though she had been waiting for them when they arrived, and opened the door for them as though expecting and anticipating them, she denied calling them at all. She told me that she couldn't have called them, because the internet was up... but the internet had actually been down most of the day. So she not only called the police on a false pretense, she lied about doing so.

Last night, she made no pretense, but the fact that she lied to the 911 operator was obvious. The police told me to go to family court and get her Baker-Acted, which is a fancy legal way of saying to get her committed against her will for a 3-day observation period, because she is a threat to herself or others.

I'm not waiting for a judge, though. On the advice of several good friends, I'm having a mental health professional come over to talk to her. We're giving her an ultimatum: go to an Assisted Living Facility, NOW, today, or I will have you committed to a hospital by the Baker Act.

My husband talked to her this morning about what she did to us last night. She claimed that she called 911 at 1:00 am...because he got home late and she was worried. Heh heh, what a crock of crap, because he'd arrived home at 11:00 pm, at least 2 hours prior to her calling the copes. He removed the telephone extension from her room, and gave her 35 cents to go to a payphone.

Meanwhile, I got about an hour's sleep last night. I'm already sick with a bad cold or a light flu (plus all the other niceties I have to deal with).

On my own mental health front... hubby and I have talked some more, and even though I don't have the kind of answers I really wanted about why our marriage has totally bitten the dust... I have come to a tentative acceptance about the fact that he is no longer in love with me. There's nothing I can do about it at this point anyway. He waited too long to be honest with himself or with me, and in the name of sparing my feelings and glossing over his own discontent, his own feelings for me died. He killed them, which was the opposite of what he had actually wanted. He admits that. He has taken responsibilty for the fact that in spite of never wanting to hurt me this way, he's hurt me more than anyone else ever has. He says he will just have to live with that for the rest of his life (instead of living in the love he thought would always be there between us).

I can't make the stupid jerk love me. I would be a stupid jerk myself for trying. So after a great quantity of tears and weeping, I began to accept, just a little bit, the notion of being his friend.

We were always friends. It's just that we were NEVER "just friends."

I would still like my life back. But that's never going to happen. It's fallen off the face of the earth, the way that they say Western California will eventually fall into the ocean.

It's not fair that someone else can take my life, wrench it away from me, deprive me of the closeness that I have depended upon for so very long... and then just move on into his own happiness, happily ever after, with a new (and better) love. No, not fair at all. But it happenned.

I can hate him forever, or I can have some kind of life. Those are my only choices. Once again, I choose life. For right now, I have family. None of us are really sure what our position is within this family -- Amy and I talked about how I've felt displaced... since I'm not in a position to be his wife, and she wants to nurture him, which is only natural because she loves him. I told her that I am so accustomed to being "chief cook and bottle-washer," so to speak, and now I don't know what the heck I am. She told me she was just as bewildered about what to call herself, too. Strangely enough, that made me feel a lot better.

Neither of them wants me to leave. Neither of them particularly wants me to divorce him. I'm pretty sure that I will eventually divorce him and move out, but for right now, we all seem to need each other, even though none of us can exactly say what it is we want or where it is we're going. So I'm more comfortable, though by no means am I totally fine.

I now have an appointment at the county hospital's mental health center for evaluation on 12/30. I'm gonna need some help again... probably forever, because I probably have beaucoup underlying brain chemical problems anyway... but at least I haven't had to go to the crisis center, and I didn't have to be hauled away by Rescue. I came close, but I didn't cross that line.

One of the things that threw me that close to the edge was the fact that I had been looking forward to having a decent spate of holidays. Thanksgiving and Xmas have been thorns in my side for many years. Last year was kind of a breakthrough, however, and I was really not sad at all. So I had been looking forward to a totally fine Turkey Day and all. Until my life blew up in face, that is. And suddenly, I have to start all over again, facing almost 3 months of painful holidays. I actually broke down and wept while sitting on a bus bench the other day.

It's not going to be the holiday season I wanted it to be, but now I'm thinking it will be OK. I hope.

Bright Blessings,
Lil

#32721 - 11/17/03 02:54 AM Re: Thought I'd share
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
Lil, I get a bit confused reading your posts sometimes cause your life reads to me like a soap opera. Is Amy your supposed best friend that your husband has taken up with and is she actually living udner the same roof? To top this, your mother-in-law lives with you too?

I guess what I just can't figure out is why you would put up with this. If it were me I'd've kicked 'em both out -- none of this talk of "friends." In my worlds "friends" don't treat their friends this way -- but then I confess I don't understand the mind set of an "open marriage" either.

It seems to me your self-esteme must be really low to accept such anrangement. Your husband should not be haveing an affair under your own roof -- with what even sounds like your approval!

You really leave me bewildered and I've no idea how to respond to a lot of the things you say. It does seem good, though, that you are going to have yourself evaluated for mental health issues -- but why in the world don't they see you before 12/30? That seems a long time to wait.

#32722 - 11/19/03 06:53 AM Re: Thought I'd share
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Garrie, I guess I am a pretty complex person....

I'm coughing my guts out with the flu or something right now, so suffice it to say that an open relationship and an open marriage worked for Raul and me up until now. I've always had a very different view of love, committment, etc., than most other people. For instance, to take the Jerry Springer show as an example... you see wives beating up on their husbands' lovers to supposedly protect their marriage... I'm not one to blame the lover, but my beef would be solely with the errant spouse.

And it is now. My anger is not at Amy, who is very much my friend... I invited her into my home, and I invited her into my marriage as well. Neither of us knew that my husband was hiding the fact that he'd already fallen out of love with me, and was already sort of halfway out the door concerning our marriage. (The wife is always the last to know, right?) Anyway, I guess the simple answer on why we had an open marriage, is that neither of us believed, at thetime we met and all through our life together, in the traditional view of marriage, that he owned my body and I owned his, and that we were never to desire or touch another person ever again. Up until this point, our adventures always enriched our love life, always brought us closer in the past.

The only committment I wanted from him was a committment of the heart and mind. I knew he could not or would not be faithful to me in body, but I was confident he would always come home to me because that's where his heart was. And it was true, up until a little while ago.

I don't expect anyone to really understand. I've always been a radical and difficult to understand.

It's not Amy's fault that Ra had problems he was not willing to talk to me about. He held them inside, let things fester, and let the romantic, passionate love die. All that's left inside of him is the friendship, the instant camaraderie that he and I shared from the moment we first said hello to each other. It hurts, it's unfair, I hate it, but I can't go back in time and MAKE him talk to me about the things that were bothering him.

He disengaged from me, and ruined our marriage. Why he's fallen madly in love with Amy, and Amy with him, I may never know. Apparently, he's been secretly lonely and heartsick for a long time -- and hiding it from me, in spite of my best efforts to draw him out. He says he was trying to spare my feelings... but in the process, has hurt me more than any other person ever has.

He didn't mean to do so. He has to live with his stupid decisions and denial, andthe fact that he ultimately betrayed me, for the rest of his life. And he may be supporting me, too, for the rest of his life, if I am ultimately unable to become self-supporting. Believe it or not, he's willing to do this... or at least, he feels that way now.

I'm not going to trust him for anything in the long run.

I've now found myself able to disengage from him. I destroyed all our wedding artifacts, including my marriage journal, while I was out of my mind with grief and rage. So be it. He destroyed our marriage; I destroyed the outward signs of it. I hurt him almost as much as he hurt me.

I'm now quite decently out of love with him, too. Right now I feel like I'm living with my best friend Amy and that guy I lived with for nearly 7 years. Yes, I'm still pissed at him, but we are still learning how to be friends, just friends. It stinks, but that's the sad reality of it. In doing what we're doing, we are achieving something that most couples never do: going all the way into healing all the hurt. Repairing ourselves and each other.

So be it. It looks strange, but my life has always looked strange. It works for me right now. If I tried to make my life look the way other people tell me it "should" look, well, I'd really be up the creek, mental health-wise.

As for my mother-in-law... well, her moving in with us was my idea as well. At first, we all got along very well. She was good for me, and I was very good for her. That is, until she apparently stopped taking her medication. And subsequently, acting completely off the wall. Dangerous, even. I had no idea. She seemed so harmless, and so accepting of what she had to do for herself. Now what I have to do is to protect my family and myself from her threats... and to find a way to get her into a place where they can care for her. She'll hate it, and she'll hate *me* for doing it, but it's got to be done.

When she showed her true colors, in terms of being the manipulative, vindictive, ego-centric person she really is, she killed off all the sentimentality I had for her. She uses her mental illness toget what she wants. I can't deal with that. Not for one minute. Maybe somewhere down the line, we can be friends again. I dunno.

I guess the only way to understand me... is that no matter what, I put one foot in front of the other and I walk. I walk my talk, too. I try to make the best of every situation, and I try to figure out what Spirit wants me to learn / give / receive from every situation.

If I just out and out rejected everything and everyone that is extraordinary, unusual, not what the neighbors would do, etc., well, I wouldn't be me. I don't do what I "should" do, but I always do what I think is right.

Anyway, enough of me for tonight.

Bright Blessings,
Lil

#32723 - 11/19/03 07:52 AM Re: Thought I'd share
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
Y'know, it's funny Lil, but there's definitely a spectrum of -- well, for lack of a better word --"normality." In my own circles I'm considered a bit of a "rebel" and an iconoclast...have been outright labeled as such.

But in reality I'm deeply conservative on certain issues/levels. I think both the way that others see me (as a "rebel") and the way that I actually am (inwardly conservative) are both products of local perspective: Lancaster County is a pretty conservative place from outside standards.

So, while locally I am on a tilt with standards, out in the larger world I am probably a bit -- to borrow a phase from Dotsie -- "pollyanna."

I see in your post a lot of blame on your husband for the failure of your marriage yet you accepted -- even fostered -- the distance that's now apparent to you. By that I mean entering into a marriage the vows of which weren't held sacred from the start.

Maybe you didn't use the "conventional" vows when you wed, but I've always taken a lot of stock in words like "forsaking all others." I think one woman is meant to cleave to one man partly for the exact reason you're painfully experiencing now: the brokeness and human carnage left behind by taking a different route.

That's probably my conservative Lancaster County upbringing talking in part, but I've a brother who tried an open marriage -- didn't last. In fact, I've yet to meet anyone who's had an open marriage and it "lasted." I mean, what is there to last anyway? By it's very definition an open marriage yields at the outset the very intimacy anticipated in a "standard" marriage.

It sounds like you want your cake and eat it too -- to maintain some level of mental or spiritual or emotional intimacy while forsaking physical intimacy. I think the two are deeply linked. Sex is not just an act -- or shouldn't be -- it is a covenant of sorts between a husband and wife.

I guess what I'm not understanding is your feeling of betrayal. It seems to me your bittertness hinges on words more than actions and what I mean by that is -- your husband "says" he loves another and this wounds you deeply, but his "act" of loving another (physically) is supposedly totally cool with you. It doesn't add up -- doesn't make sense in my world.

And please let's not compare life to the Jerry Springer show. I won't even watch that trash. If you do, please start to feed your mind and soul with something more meaningful!

Yours is a tough situation because I want to ask how you can only "blame" one party in an affair for having the affair in the first place (when it takes two to tango) -- but yet IS it an affair if you sanctioned it? I mean, what are the rules in your life?

Essentially, as far as I am hearing, you are saying the rule is as follows: "Dear husband, go ahead and make love to my best friend -- I'll even invite her to move in with us -- but just don't "fall" in love with her." Is that it?

Well, it's ludicrous, Lil.

Maybe no one else here feels the same way I do or maybe they don't want to speak up if they do, but I feel I have to tell it like I see it. I am trying to bear in mind Dotsie's motto that friends heal friend. I want to check my motives here and try to be semi-sure of the ground from which I speak. But advice and talk is a funny thing. People don't usually need to listen when they're sorting things out; they need to be listened TO.

*sigh*

I WANT to listen, but feel I'm having a hard time doing so non-judgementally because you seem to be coming from a view of life that's almost diametrically opposed to mine. So in truth the most I'd probably manage to do is make you more staunchly defend your view.

In the end, the only basic common ground I see is this: you must begin to heal, whatever that means for you as an individual, taking whatever steps that goal will require of you. You have already taken some wee steps in just such a direction, but I think you are fooling yourself a bit about how far you think you've come in so short a time.

It would be difficult -- from the intersection of life where you are standing -- not to have some bitterness, but please begin to recognize a few small things:

-- You will need to begin feeding yourself positive rather than self-defeating and hurtful messages, but this doesn't mean putting down others to build yourself up.

-- You will need to accept personal responsibility for the choices you've made in life. No one other than YOU has brought your life to the moment in your life in which you are standing. No one.

-- You may feel robbed of much, but know you can never be robbed of your soul, your intrinsic integrity, nor you ability to make certain choices. Strap all three together, hoist them on your back, and make the best possible decisions you can as each new day arrives -- while feeding yourself the most self-affirming messages you can muster.

garrie
your friendly neighborhood pseudo-psycho-therapist!

#32724 - 12/01/03 07:30 PM Re: Thought I'd share
Dotsie Offline
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by garrie keyman:
-- You may feel robbed of much, but know you can never be robbed of your soul, your intrinsic integrity, nor you ability to make certain choices. Strap all three together, hoist them on your back, and make the best possible decisions you can as each new day arrives -- while feeding yourself the most self-affirming messages you can muster.

garrie
your friendly neighborhood pseudo-psycho-therapist![/QB]

Garrie, thinking of being a therapist? Thought you might need ONE more thing to do! [Big Grin]

I think this is such good advice for women at the center of life who are changing courses for many reasons.

No matter who we are, what we've been through, what we've accomplished or haven't accomplished, hoist Garrie's advice on our backs, and listen to what God's calling us to do and start anew!

Thanks Dr. Garrie. [Big Grin]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved