The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#32996 - 09/03/04 12:01 AM Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Did anyone see the NBC Dateline show last night? It featured Jane Pauley and how she came "out" about being diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder and how she's coping.

All of this coincides with her new talk show and a new autobiography released.

Do I resent her statements? No, not at all, but as a person with BiPolar, I am concerned that her attempt to "trivialize" her illness might bode negatively on those who also have BiPolar and are seriously ill. She definitely deserves credit for struggling with the symptoms before diagnosis and then getting treatment. She took her illness seriously and is now back at work which speaks well of her and how she's coping.

Maybe I don't have any issues at all, maybe I'm just upset because I'm not the way I was before BP, and according to the doctor, I never will be. This is as good as it gets.

Maybe this post should go under the "whine" section? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#32997 - 09/03/04 12:20 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Yes, I saw it too and wondered the same as you. One of our crafters was Bipolar further along than Jane. Hospitalized several times. I too was concerned and yet maybe there will be more help for those who have it. Hope you are doing well.
Maggie

#32998 - 09/03/04 12:42 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Vicki/Maggie, I didn't see it but I wish I had. I'm very interested in the illness. I have friends who say they are bipolar. I would truly like to understand it better because I think it is like so many others. It has bad publicity and good. What's true and what isn't? I want to know. How can I help my friends cope...what are the do's and don'ts for someone who wants to help???

On the flip side, I do know that there are doctors out there who will diagnose people with something like this only to push the meds and continue the treatment. The reason I am saying this is because I do know of a woman who brags to some that is what she did...kept going to doctors until she found one who would give her the "excuse" not to work. She freely admitted that she knew, and the doctor knew she wasn't sick.

Isn't that awful?

I know this isn't the case with you Vicki, but I'm sure you've heard of this happening...and I bet it makes it difficult sometimes for people with the illness to be taken seriously.

I say educate the public. It's a must.

JJ

#32999 - 09/03/04 12:53 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I guess we've grown a bit calloused to the manipulation of the media. I, too, thought, "Hmm...new talk show. How can I bring attention to myself??" Sad, isn't it? I hope awareness of this very real illness is heightened anyway, regardless of the messenger.

Donna

#33000 - 09/03/04 02:55 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

If this episode brings more positive attention BiPolar and those who suffer from it, then that will make it all worth while. I really hope it does.

BiPolar disorder has various degrees of severity. From BiPolar 1 to 6.

You can find this information in the DSM IV under diagnostic criteria. More information is also available at http://www.bipolarworld.net under Dr Phelps archives or at www.psycheducation.org

The program on Dateline only touched the surface of one of many bipolar diagnoses.

Briefly:
BP1 Mania-- major depression (not always accompanied by major depression)
BP2 Depression and momentary hypomania w/ no extremes.
Prior symptoms may mimic Schizophrenia
BP3 Mild depression and hypomania
BP4 depression often without mania
BP5 Depression with no mania
BP6 Mania with no depression

#33001 - 09/03/04 03:39 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
whoa Vicki...I didn't realize it had so many degrees of depression. That is amazing right off the bat. I will follow the links you provided and appreciate you sharing this with us all.

What is hypomania? I guess I can look it up, eh? Better yet, bet it's on the links page.

JJ

#33002 - 09/03/04 06:41 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

hypomania, is like being manic, but not to such a severe degree, like psychotic.

By the way, I'm BP2 and am still adjusting to my diagnosis.

#33003 - 09/03/04 08:40 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, thanks for sharing with us. I'm a firm believer in education. It wipes away ignornace and makes the world a better place.

Have you visited www.bipolarhappens.com ?

Julie, the site owner has written two books about being bipolar and caring for a loved one who's bi-polar. The fisrt one is out and doing well. the other is still with the publisher.

Please let me know what you think of her site. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say.

#33004 - 09/03/04 10:57 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
What will they think of next? I never heard of this condition until these posts. I have discovered several new diseases here. Not sure I want to learn of any more. Depressing, ah but that seems to be what we're talking about here isn't it?When did these simple conditions start getting these exotic handles put on them? I am suspicious of people like Pauly so eager to suck us all in with her "I"M just lke you" TV show.

#33005 - 09/04/04 12:15 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Dotsie, when I was first diagnosed I got on the web and started researching BiPolar Disorder. I found Julie's website and learned a whole lot from her. I even bought her first book and downloaded all her worksheets. Invaluable. Absolutely Invaluable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved