The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 189 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#32996 - 09/03/04 12:01 AM Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Did anyone see the NBC Dateline show last night? It featured Jane Pauley and how she came "out" about being diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder and how she's coping.

All of this coincides with her new talk show and a new autobiography released.

Do I resent her statements? No, not at all, but as a person with BiPolar, I am concerned that her attempt to "trivialize" her illness might bode negatively on those who also have BiPolar and are seriously ill. She definitely deserves credit for struggling with the symptoms before diagnosis and then getting treatment. She took her illness seriously and is now back at work which speaks well of her and how she's coping.

Maybe I don't have any issues at all, maybe I'm just upset because I'm not the way I was before BP, and according to the doctor, I never will be. This is as good as it gets.

Maybe this post should go under the "whine" section? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#32997 - 09/03/04 12:20 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Yes, I saw it too and wondered the same as you. One of our crafters was Bipolar further along than Jane. Hospitalized several times. I too was concerned and yet maybe there will be more help for those who have it. Hope you are doing well.
Maggie

#32998 - 09/03/04 12:42 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Vicki/Maggie, I didn't see it but I wish I had. I'm very interested in the illness. I have friends who say they are bipolar. I would truly like to understand it better because I think it is like so many others. It has bad publicity and good. What's true and what isn't? I want to know. How can I help my friends cope...what are the do's and don'ts for someone who wants to help???

On the flip side, I do know that there are doctors out there who will diagnose people with something like this only to push the meds and continue the treatment. The reason I am saying this is because I do know of a woman who brags to some that is what she did...kept going to doctors until she found one who would give her the "excuse" not to work. She freely admitted that she knew, and the doctor knew she wasn't sick.

Isn't that awful?

I know this isn't the case with you Vicki, but I'm sure you've heard of this happening...and I bet it makes it difficult sometimes for people with the illness to be taken seriously.

I say educate the public. It's a must.

JJ

#32999 - 09/03/04 12:53 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I guess we've grown a bit calloused to the manipulation of the media. I, too, thought, "Hmm...new talk show. How can I bring attention to myself??" Sad, isn't it? I hope awareness of this very real illness is heightened anyway, regardless of the messenger.

Donna

#33000 - 09/03/04 02:55 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

If this episode brings more positive attention BiPolar and those who suffer from it, then that will make it all worth while. I really hope it does.

BiPolar disorder has various degrees of severity. From BiPolar 1 to 6.

You can find this information in the DSM IV under diagnostic criteria. More information is also available at http://www.bipolarworld.net under Dr Phelps archives or at www.psycheducation.org

The program on Dateline only touched the surface of one of many bipolar diagnoses.

Briefly:
BP1 Mania-- major depression (not always accompanied by major depression)
BP2 Depression and momentary hypomania w/ no extremes.
Prior symptoms may mimic Schizophrenia
BP3 Mild depression and hypomania
BP4 depression often without mania
BP5 Depression with no mania
BP6 Mania with no depression

#33001 - 09/03/04 03:39 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

whoa Vicki...I didn't realize it had so many degrees of depression. That is amazing right off the bat. I will follow the links you provided and appreciate you sharing this with us all.

What is hypomania? I guess I can look it up, eh? Better yet, bet it's on the links page.

JJ

#33002 - 09/03/04 06:41 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

hypomania, is like being manic, but not to such a severe degree, like psychotic.

By the way, I'm BP2 and am still adjusting to my diagnosis.

#33003 - 09/03/04 08:40 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, thanks for sharing with us. I'm a firm believer in education. It wipes away ignornace and makes the world a better place.

Have you visited www.bipolarhappens.com ?

Julie, the site owner has written two books about being bipolar and caring for a loved one who's bi-polar. The fisrt one is out and doing well. the other is still with the publisher.

Please let me know what you think of her site. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say.

#33004 - 09/03/04 10:57 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
What will they think of next? I never heard of this condition until these posts. I have discovered several new diseases here. Not sure I want to learn of any more. Depressing, ah but that seems to be what we're talking about here isn't it?When did these simple conditions start getting these exotic handles put on them? I am suspicious of people like Pauly so eager to suck us all in with her "I"M just lke you" TV show.

#33005 - 09/04/04 12:15 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Dotsie, when I was first diagnosed I got on the web and started researching BiPolar Disorder. I found Julie's website and learned a whole lot from her. I even bought her first book and downloaded all her worksheets. Invaluable. Absolutely Invaluable.

#33006 - 09/05/04 08:45 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Vicki, glad to hear it. I was impressed by her site and her candid ways of sharing herself with others.

What do you recommend when one is first diagnosed? I'm sure there's an adjustment period. What kinds of thoughts did you have upon diagnosis...if you don't mind sharing.

#33007 - 09/05/04 11:18 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

being first diagnosed can be confusing. Behavior that you thought was "normal" now seems to be symptoms of bipolar. It really makes you stop and think about what kind of person you are and how you behave.

One of the things I recommend is maintain a good dialog with your doctor. That's so important. Make sure you can talk to your doctor about your behavior and about any reactions you may be having from the medications. It takes weeks and weeks to get the right combination of drugs before you are stable.

For me, I went through a point of denial, where I was thinking that the doctor was making a mistake. It took me many months to come to terms with my behavior and my illness. It took me a while to understand that my behavior was my illness and vice versa.

Find books to read. There a lot of really good ones out there. Find a support group. That's very important. I found my support group online at Bipolar World www.bipolarworld.com

I'm constantly trying not to focus on the negative side of my illness, especially with the depression. It's very difficult being depressed for months at a time. It can be devastating. I somtimes long for my manic moments. I am so much more creative and functional during those times. But, I'm also at my most dangerous because I have no self control. I spend money like crazy when manic. I make bad decisions when manic. I don't have my best interests in mind when I'm manic. During those times my husband is really supportive and reminds me to take my Ativan. It helps to lessen the manic episodes and keep me under control.

I'm still learning how to control my self and live with my illness. It hasn't been a year since I've been diagnosed and that means I'm still getting my meds adjusted.

If anyone has questions or would like to talk to me privately about bipolar, I'd be happy to chat.

Peace.

#33008 - 09/06/04 09:31 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
chacha Offline

Loc: Oregon
Vicki

You are approaching this exactly the right way. Learning all you can and keeping an ongoing dialogue with the Dr. are key elements with any illness. Fear, denial and ignorance are three major factors which stand in the way of recovery or optimal results with medical treatment. I don't mean ignorance as in stupid,I mean it in the sense of lack of knowledge.

Jaw Jaw

There are nearly as many forms or faces of BiPolar as there are people who have it. As it is a chemical imbalance, each person experiences his/her symptoms uniquely, and each person will respond to medications uniquely too.
The disorder can vary from mild short-lived mood variances to extreme mood swings of long duration. In the manic phase people have been known to stay up for days to weeks at a time before "crashing" And the periods of depression can last weeks, my stepmom used to go to bed and sleep for 10-20 days, waking for only brief periods. We had to force her to eat and take fluids.
Anyway enough of my ramblings. I have a lot af admiration for Vickie and others who are willing to share with us. You never know who may need to be touched by what is shared.

Thanks Vickie

ChaCha

#33009 - 09/06/04 04:35 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Thanks for sharing Vicki, it gives me a little understanding (more) about what my daughter goes through.

Sherri

#33010 - 09/06/04 08:16 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Thanks for all the great information. I keep forgetting to mention that I saw the Jane Pauley's interview. My sister had bought her book and told me about it. Then she told me that she was on Dateline too.

I thought it would be interesting to learn more since I have a friend and a couple other people I know who are bipolar.

My concern is that there seem to be different personality disorders popping up all the time. I think it takes lots of research on the patients part to be certain the specific diagnosis is accurate BEFORE beginning medications.

I've also heard that this is appearing more in young adults. They leave home for college and are no longer in the protected environment of home. Once out in the world alone, the disorder becomes more apparent. Their coping mechanisms change because their loved ones aren't around for support. Unless the kids are advocates for themselves it can become dangerous because no one person is aware of their behavior. I know of a young adult who ended up back at home with the proper diagnosis of bipolar.

[ September 06, 2004, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#33011 - 09/06/04 11:29 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I apologize in advance for my ignorance but it sounds to me like what is being labeled "bipolar" is depression, normal to extreme. Is this the newest handle being put on depression? It amazes me what these doctors come up with to make a buck... [Mad]

#33012 - 09/07/04 01:34 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Charleen, not in the least, it's much more than just having depression. Having a chemical imbalance that gives a person mood swings can be quite dangerous, to themselves and to other people.

Like Chacha said, finding a treatment varies from person to person and can be quite difficult. It takes a long time to find the right combination of drugs that work. Even now, my doctor is changing my drugs because after taking one for so long, it will "stop" working as the body builds a tolerance.

People with bipolar can't just "get over it" and feel better. No more than someone with clinical depression can. It takes treatment by a doctor and/or psychiatrist and carefully prescribed drugs to help find the perfect balance.

I truly hope that the Dateline episode brings more attention to the disease and provides funds to find better treatments.

I hope that I've been able to help enlighten my friends here.

#33013 - 09/07/04 05:36 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Vicki, thanks for sharing all your thoughts and experiences. It's very helpful.

How is Jane Pauley using her show to enlighten people about the disorder. It's a regular talk show, right? It's not just about being bipolar, is it? Anyone know?

#33014 - 09/07/04 06:31 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Vicki
I too add my thanks. Just from being around my friend(s) who have this, I can vouch that it is far from just being depression. I've learned more here in a short period of time than I have searching the internet.

THANKS!

JJ

#33015 - 09/07/04 06:32 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Dotsie, I'm not sure if she'll continue to use her show, but just in her "coming out" she's brought more attention to bipolar and hopefully she'll become an advocate for it since she's "one of us" [Smile]

If anything she's helped bring the disease out into the open. So many times bipolar has been treated like that "mental illness" that no one talks about. We've been the dirty little secret families kept from outsiders.

#33016 - 09/08/04 04:56 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Daphne Offline

Loc: Macon, GA
I didn't see Dateline, but I heard a brief NPR interview with Jane Pauley. I, too, am happy to see Bipolar Disorder talked about more--but my impression from that interview is that Jane presents an airbrushed version of what can be an agonizing disease. I've been a therapist for 30 years, and bipolar illness wasn't talked about (even in hospitals, except in the most severe cases) until a few years ago. My daughter was diagnosed at age 20, after 5 years of chasing different diagnostic opinions and experts who pegged her learning disabilities, ADD, adolescent rebellion, and a host of other maladies. I was given a host of explanations for her behavior--and then, a few years later, I was diagnosed also, after decades of unexplained insomnia, anxiety, depression, etc., for which I sought treatment of every description. It's a tricky disease--nothing to be trivialized or airbrushed--but it challenges us to seek meaning in the midst of suffering, to know that we aren't invincible, no matter how educated or sophisticated we may be--and, above all, to learn to love ourselves and our family members, and, often, to find new meanings of love. I've found lots of wisdom in Kay Redfield Jamison's work on bipolar disorder (she also is a mental health professional who has struggled with the disease all her life). For information about bipolar and other mental health issues, I invite you to my web site. Daphnewww.daphnestevens.com (author, Watercolor Bedroom: Creating a Soulful Midlife)

#33017 - 09/09/04 07:53 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Hi Daphne, welcome to BWS! That was my initial reaction as well, that Jane Pauley "trivialized" the disease.

You are very brave to open up with us.

I've tried to access your website but it's not working. I did check out your book on Amazon.

#33018 - 09/09/04 01:18 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
I'm never happy to hear that anyone suffers in any way, but I am always comforted to know that there are so many others out there that have some sort of mental illness.

As I've said before, I have OCD and I have to say one of the biggest aggravations I experience since I've started to tell people about it is this:

"Oh, I have OCD, too. I keep my house clean and I can't stand it when things are messy."

I want to gently pluck all the hairs out of their heads because they just don't get it. They think my disorder is a cake walk rather than what it truly is.

What I tell them is this...

When you are afraid God will drown your cat because you don't turn the light switch off the right way, talk to me.

I've known several Bi-Polar individuals and I can say that it's a terrible, terrible thing. I suggest any of you that are interested in finding out more about the disorder read, "Call Me Anna", by Patty Duke. She is Bi-Polar and her book will give you an up close and personal look at what it is and what it does. It's an excellent read... but it's sort of an old book by now so you may have trouble locating it.

#33019 - 09/10/04 07:36 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

If anyone is interested, here are some great books to help you understand Bipolar Disorder. All of these books can be found on Amazon.com

Kay Redfield Jamison, "An Unquiet Mind."

William Styron, "Darkness Visible: A Memoir of Madness."

David J. Miklowitz "The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide."

"A Brilliant Madness: Living With Manic-Depressive Illness" by Patty Duke

#33020 - 09/11/04 01:07 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Maggie_dup1 Offline

Loc: New York City
It's important to note that what is now called Bipolar Disorder was long known as Manic Depression. Manic Depressive and Bipolar are synonyms -- Bipolar is just the preferred medical terminology now. That might explain why a lot of you are confused or have never heard of this before.

#33021 - 09/11/04 09:06 PM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Welcome Maggie from New York City. We have another Maggie who posts regularly.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Ladies, Maggie is from a younger generation. Not a boomer , but we're happy to have her! [Big Grin]

Maggie, I remember the first time I heard the term manic depressive. I had graduated from high school and one of my friends was diagnosed and hospitalized. Everyone was in the dark about this disease, didn't understand it, didn't know what it was, and needed and still need to be eduacated about it.

I also remember a friend being diagnosed with anorexia. She almost died at Hopkins. Again, we'd never heard of it.

Think of the education youth get these days. It's come a long way, but when it comes to mental illness, we have a long way to go.

Glad you're here.

#33022 - 09/14/04 12:45 AM Re: Jane Pauley - Out of the Blue
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I sometimes think my husband has some form of mental illness but he doesn't think anything is wrong so that's that. I do what I can to cope (or not.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved