The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#33116 - 11/11/05 04:31 AM Re: Holiday Stressors
Doctor Karen Offline

Loc: San Francisco
My holiday destressors:

First, a good girlfriend and I are going by our lonesomes to a fabulous restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner. And a walk afterwards. We're passing up on the family gatherings and all the bickering and overeating.

Second, the day after Christmas, my adult daughter and I are taking off for 5 days in Las Vegas. Got a budget motel and saved the big bucks to see Celine Dion and the Cirque de Soleil "KA" show. We'll walk the strip (NO...not that way!!!), window shop, gamble our $20 away, and enjoy good restaurants.

Third, I'm not going to try to wangle an invite from the son who speaks, then doesn't speak. No need to invite heartache. Will just send gifts to the grandsons.

Fourth, I'm participating in a marvelous holiday musical at our church...Victorian period costumes, good friends, rehearsing 4 days a week for 2 months to get it down...just a wonderful, warm fuzzy...and sore feet from all that dancing.

Fifth, have a first date with a fabulous Englishman this Saturday...but not putting ANY eggs in that basket until I see how it turns out.

#33117 - 11/11/05 01:28 PM Re: Holiday Stressors
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dr. Karen,

This is the 5th(?) time you've mentioned your upcoming date and so far no one seems to have commented!

I can see how excited you are, but also trying to be cautious.

Either the chemistry will be there or it won't.
Either he'll be what you're expecting, or he won't.

Your rational mind has already told you to be careful and not have too high expectations. I'm tellin' ya -- go out and have a great time! [Big Grin] Even if he isn't Mr. Perfect, that doesn't mean you should be so disappointed that the date will be ruined. You obviously have a lot in common, so appreciate whatever goodness comes of this, regardless of future outcome.

Enjoy. [Wink]

#33118 - 11/11/05 04:57 PM Re: Holiday Stressors
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Meredith, I'm glad you spoke up. I crawled into bed late last night and while lying there, realized that I hadn't responded.

Dr. Karen, I apologize for not responding sooner. I too am excited for you and hope your date tomorrow exceeds your expectations and turns out to be a very enjoyable experience. I for one will be waiting with baited breath (where did that phrase come from anyway...reminds me of a fish waiting to be caught) to hear how it went.

#33119 - 11/12/05 08:29 AM Re: Holiday Stressors
Doctor Karen Offline

Thanks Meredith and Sharon, Fifth time?? I MUST be "obsessing" (I didn't write my novel on that topic for nothin'!). I've done this first date thing dozens of time since starting the internet dating. But this one seems super special. The kind of man you would never expect to find online. Or if you do, he would already be well taken. Yeah, "baited breath", where in the world did that come from? I just found out! And it's originally "bated". Go to: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bai1.htm

So I try not to fantasize ahead of time. Or even think too much about it at all. I've had the experience before of the person evaporating before the scheduled "meet". This dating thing at this age ain't for sissies.

And thanks for getting up in the middle of the night (or staying up?) to respond. You're better women than me, Gunga Din(s). Karen

#33120 - 11/12/05 08:29 AM Re: Holiday Stressors
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Karen
I agree with Meredith, just go and have fun. You are not making a lifetime commitment, you're just meeting a guy.

Give the guy a break. He might be nervous too. If there is NO chemistry, maybe he will be a new friend. And if he's really weird, at least it will be a funny story.

But be sure not to take any chances. Don't let him know where you live or give out any information with which he might track you down at least until you know him better.

We'll all be hoping for a wonderful meeting and that you have a great time.
smile

#33121 - 11/17/05 05:51 AM Re: Holiday Stressors
Doctor Karen Offline

Hi All, Well, finally met the "fabulous Englishman" after two misses. Had a cup of coffee, looked into his dreamy eyes (much better looking than his photo), he held my hand, blah, blah, HE said we HAD to reconnect, promised to call the next day...and haven't heard from him since. You just don't know with these guys. This one came on really strong. BUT...another much less flashy gentleman wrote and we may have a nice hike this weekend. I think I prefer mediocre and attentive over fabulous and disappearing. Best news doesn't involve men at all (does it ever??)...my novel has hit Amazon and BookSurge.com and is now available for order on my website too. I'm so jazzed.

#33122 - 11/17/05 06:49 AM Re: Holiday Stressors
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Doc, do you think some men are intimidated by your success and intelligence? Many men are by our strength, too.

I'm glad you didn't take it personally. Dating these days is not for sissies.

Daisygirl

#33123 - 11/17/05 07:17 AM Re: Holiday Stressors
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
At least he didn't have his jammies in his pocket. Did he????

#33124 - 11/17/05 06:14 PM Re: Holiday Stressors
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Yea Karen! The book is much more important than the men!

#33125 - 11/17/05 06:18 PM Re: Holiday Stressors
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
P.S. I just ordered your book and can't wait to read it.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved