The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#33235 - 05/27/05 04:34 PM Re: Husband has Bipolar
wordcharmer Offline

Loc: Ohio
Just read most of the entries in this thread. I was diagnosed as bi-polar 20 years ago. It runs in my family. (More on that below)

They put me on Prozac and Lithium. The Prozac made me worse and I attempted suicide. After that, I stopped the meds and started meditating, praying and using my writing as a tool to heal. I can now say that I am mentally better than I have ever been. I still have manic episodes and depression, but nothing like back then. I am however, what you might call a hermit. I do not like going out to mingle with people. I'd rather stay at home and write. And if I am manic, I can write better than when I'm not. I wouldn't suggest stopping meds though to anyone, without consulting your doctor first.

The hard thing to deal with is the reaction from society to mental illness. But I have found that some of the most creative and talented people are mentally ill.

Still, if you try to get a job now a days, and you write down that you are bi-polar, forget the job! Forget life insurance too, if you've ever attempted suicide. I would NEVER attempt suicide again, but I have been turned down for insurance.

My oldest child is also bi-polar and an alcholic. His illness caused him to get into some major trouble two years ago, and I haven't seen or heard from him since. I do hear through the grapevine that he stopped drinking and that he is trying to pay for what he did. The drinking combined with the illness, changed him from a loving son to a stranger that I don't know anymore. So to those who are trying to deal with a family member who is bi-polar, my heart goes out to you.

Just wanted to add my thoughts. Thanks for listening.

#33236 - 06/17/05 04:52 PM Re: Husband has Bipolar
wordcharmer Offline

I have spent the last hour, reading different posts on different topics. I know I don't come here often, and I don't post often, but when I do post something, it seems like that thread ends up stopping. As someone with bi-polar, looking for friends and some encouragement, it it a little disheartening when no one responds.

I do love this place though. So many wonderful women with many fantastic stories to share. Blessings to you all.

#33237 - 06/17/05 05:41 PM Re: Husband has Bipolar
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Oh Charmer, please don't feel that way. I think what happens "sometimes" is that some of us read all the post, but maybe feel inadequate to respond. I know I read some post and think, "I wish I knew how to respond to that, but I just don't" and so I'll move on. Another factor is time. We all run out of it. There are days when I can post, post, post...then other days when I'm lucky to even find a moment to come here and read. Believe me, you are soooo welcome in this group, very much a part of it, and your words are taken to heart. Remember, even though a post may end with your comments, you never know when that very comment may be the one that helps another boomer. Maybe you have said it better than anyone else and there's simply no need for further comments. KEEP POSTING! I for one am very glad you are a family member here. Sure am.

JJ

#33238 - 06/18/05 07:00 AM Re: Husband has Bipolar
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I don't answer because I'm clueless about bi-polar. I'd just end up asking questions that seemed ignorant.

I'm sorry if you were hurt from the lack of response. I know I would never hurt you for any reason. Like JJ, sometimes I just read and don't answer but please know that we care about you and that you are loved.

#33239 - 06/18/05 07:08 AM Re: Husband has Bipolar
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
wordcharmer, I wish there was something I could do to make sure every post gets a reply. Sorry, but I haven't come up with an answer to that because I want the replies to be from the heart.

Also know that their are MANY lurkers in these forums who take the seeds that are planted and run with them. You have planted many of those seeds. Find peace in knowing you are helping another just by your presence. I pray you feel uplifted by sharing and receiving information at BWS.

Also, I can't tell you the number of my posts that don't get responses. You are not the only one! [Wink] It happens to all of us.

#33240 - 06/18/05 04:04 AM Re: Husband has Bipolar
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hi wordcharmer, love your name.....I have brought several women into this forum and they dropped out because they felt they were being ignored...heck I have felt that way as well. I have even complained to a couple women that I felt I jinxed their posts by replying BUT alas it's not true and what JawJaw said is an accurate response. I probably post more than most #1 cause I work from home and am at the computer. #2 I am an opinionated person. I even go back and pull up old posts where only maybe one person or no-one replied to give it another chance. In the long run we all do what we can. Hang in there, keep posting we need many different takes on a subject... [Cool]

#33241 - 06/18/05 04:18 AM Re: Husband has Bipolar
wordcharmer Offline

First let me explain about my bi-polar at this stage in my life. I do not take medication. When I did, I almost died from a suicide attempt. I now try to control it with prayer and meditation and my writing. Most times it works, but sometimes it doesn't. This morning was just one of those bad times. I think I have been working too hard. That doesn't help. When I'm manic, I go 100 MPH until I crash, then I am so tired, I get depressed. I am just going to have to try slowing down when I get like that.

JawJaw, Diane, Dotsie and Chatty lady, thank you all for your kind words. Sometimes, just a reply that you are listening helps.

And Diane, there are no ignorant questions.

I'll try to join in more when I can. Please know that I think you are all a great bunch of women! Thank you all.

#33242 - 06/18/05 09:27 AM Re: Husband has Bipolar
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Wordcharmer, I'm sorry about your post not getting any responses. I just found this post today. I wonder if it got buried. I appreciate that you shared about being bi-polar. I have some understanding of the illness. I was diagnosed depression/anxiety, which is of course not the same, but as I was studying D & A I also studied bi-polar. I'm so sorry to hear that you too attempted suicide. It's a sad state of affairs. And I feel badly about your son as a stranger to you, so much so that you have to hear about his whereabouts through the grapevine. Love and Light, Lynn

#33243 - 06/18/05 05:23 PM Re: Husband has Bipolar
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hi wordcharmer, Like many of us here, I probably don't miss reading a post. I am guilty of not answering some posts because either I don't know how to approach the subject, or I move on to read the rest and don't get back to reply.

Sometimes I reply and before I hit the "add reply" I change my mind and delete it. Other times I reply and the previous poster doesn't reply back.

What I liked about your post was your honesty to say what was on your mind and let it be known. Some just go on their way never to be heard from again.

Just like in the real world of meeting people, there will be aquaintances who come and go. Then there'll friends that will last a lifetime. I think that same principle works here.

I cannot comment on your bi-polar but I have a deep interest in learning all about it. Just know...I will be listening.

Dotsie, I don't know if there is such a thing as a "Please reply", "Don't need reply" box that could be inserted where we could check it off to indicate. I think it would take away the genuinity(?) of replys but it is just a thought...maybe someone else has a good idea.

I try very hard to post back to prayer requests and new members welcome. Today I have to go to work so I cannot reply to any others. I had to reply to yours so you would know, Yes, you are important to me .

luv
chick

[ June 18, 2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#33244 - 06/19/05 03:57 AM Re: Husband has Bipolar
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chick, I don't know of a way to do that. I've done some research and the only way to be certain every post gets a reply is to have moderators of every forum. I feel funny asking women to moderate forums because I can't pay them to do so. I know it takes time, something many of us don't have.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved