The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 82 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#33332 - 05/17/05 03:24 AM Re: Scary situation!
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
Anti-psychotic meds make people start feeling better -- they think they are "cured" and since the side effects are so TERRIBLE -- they figure they can go off them -- of course as soon as they do -- their brain starts malfunctioning again and then they stop thinking straight. They feel its everyone else that's wrong and they're right.

It's a vicious circle. We went thru it a few times with Robert -- instead of arguing with him I would tell him that I really didnt think he should but I respected his wishes to try going off the meds -- I explained that we simply couldnt take the chance of having the illness take control of him again if he went off the meds at home so he would have to respect our fear of the illness and go back to the crisis center for the first two weeks. It was always enough to keep him from trying it. Usually within the hour he would come back to me and thank me for not letting his stop.

Everything we think or do or feel gets routed through our brain. How terrifying it must be to have no control of those functions !!!

#33333 - 05/17/05 06:41 PM Re: Scary situation!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
What are the side effects?

#33334 - 05/18/05 07:02 AM Re: Scary situation!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dianne, I don't think it's part of the mental illness necessarily. Patients begin feeling better and think they can live without the meds.

I became clinically depressed after a car accident. I took an antidepressant. I began feeling my self in no time. After the first bottle ran out I didn't refill it because I felt so good. My doctor told me I needed to stay on the meds for the same period of time I had felt down. I needed to relearn healthy positive behaviors. Anyway, within a few days without the medication the blues returned. I IMMEDIATELY filled the prescription.

Mental illness is tricky to say the least. Fortunately, there are more doctors who are becoming proficient in treatment. I think the key is finding one of those doctors!

#33335 - 05/17/05 09:16 PM Re: Scary situation!
lionspaaw Offline

I agree with Dotsie -- the key is finding a GOOD doctor that really understands the illness -- whatever it may be.

Side effects of anti-psychotics -- like any meds will differ with the person -- Robert had horrible stomach/bowel problems. He also hated having blood work done to monitor his liver. They can weaken the heart -- all sorts of stuff. Figure anything stong enough to put the brain on the right track has to cause havoc to other organs.

#33336 - 05/18/05 05:35 PM Re: Scary situation!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

No wonder he didn't want to take them. The lesser of two evils.

My nephew told my sister that he didn't want to open that can of worms, having her committed against her will. I guess it's his can of worms and he's gonna do what he wants to do. Geesh. [Mad]

#33337 - 05/19/05 03:28 PM Re: Scary situation!
lionspaaw Offline

If she is committed and nothing comes of it -- the worst that happens is they argue over it -- I gather they're doing alot of that now.

If she ISNT committed and she has something as serious as bi polar or schizophrenia -- the worst that can happen is she hurts someone or herself.

Maybe things arent as bad as your nephew is giving the impression it is ????? I sure hope he just doesnt "let it slide" because it's the easy thing to do !!

All your sister can do is try to keep up on whats going on and support your nephew. If she feels she has to step in though ---- I sure hope she will.

Keep us posted !!

#33338 - 05/19/05 04:45 PM Re: Scary situation!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Lion's concern and your sister's worries are certainly understandable. But your nephew's caution about committing his wife might be wise.
I've read of similar cases that resulted in apparently good parents losing their children to Child Protective Services.

Of course the safety of the children should come first, but commitment is a serious step that should not be taken lightly.
smile

#33339 - 05/19/05 05:44 PM Re: Scary situation!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

The only thing they argue about is her insistance that he go to church with her, which he refuses to do. She's become very fanatical and even my sister had to ask her to stop preaching to her because it was ruining their relationship. She's really gone overboard and especially believing her dad has put a curse on her.

#33340 - 05/19/05 06:49 PM Re: Scary situation!
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I can't say enough about proper medications in the appropriate doses. I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones with Bipolar who recognized that I had an illness and needed medical attention. I've been on medications now for over two years and I'm a much better person for it.

I recognize the symptoms in me and know how to handle them. I really feel for those who are out of control and let the illness run their lives rather than controlling the illness themselves.

Some people without going to the doctor seem to "Self Medicate" by using drugs or alcohol. This is a very poor way of trying to control their illness. It only leads to disaster.

All I can say is have her loved ones watch her and be there for her when she crashes. It will happen. She may attempt to hurt herself or someone else, unknowingly. She's a ticking timebomb.

#33341 - 05/19/05 10:27 PM Re: Scary situation!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Vicki, would you mind sharing the symptoms you experience? Okay if you don't want to. I understand. I appreciate your openness on this.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved