The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#33477 - 10/24/05 09:40 AM Re: effexor
Doctor Karen Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Hi Brenda, Ask your therapist to recommend a psychiatrist to do your meds (instead of your GP). My experience (as a therapist for 36 years) is that folks who have trouble with side effects and getting an adequate response, do need to combine therapy with meds. Plus if your health plan offers any behavioral education classes on depression and/or anxiety, go take them. There are also many good books on the cognitive/behavioral treatment of depression and anxiety. The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Bourne is one of them. Or David Burn's Feeling Good for depression. It's not so important to determine where the anxiety is coming from. Just focus on the activities that provide some relief. And WALK...every day...whether you "feel" like it or not. That is the best help outside of finding the right meds.

#33478 - 10/24/05 04:33 PM Re: effexor
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Ah, exercise. Excellent recommendation. Thanks for piping in for Brenda!

#33479 - 10/24/05 08:18 PM Re: effexor
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Right now I'm taking the lopressor, nifedipine, zocor, aspirin, aciphex, and nitro if needed.

Last time I saw the GP he looked over my blood pressure journal, (top numbers are high in the morning or when I'm anxious or stressed).
We talked of lack of sleep, maybe 4-5 hours a night. He's going through his medical book and comes up with clonazepam 0.5mg, woke up with the worst Charlie horses at night, jumping up trying to walk them out.
He did prescribe xanax with one of the antidepressants, so occasionally I will take one if anxiety is severe or I've gone to many days without sleep, (you can always tell by the dark circles).
Actually I was just wondering if I could take Tylenol pm or something like that. No one has ever told me what I can or cannot take with my med's...I look everything up. Or, go and talk to the local pharmacist. Even found out the calcium channel blocker and beta blocker I take are not suppose to be used together....geez! Pharmacist says some doctors do any way.
GP said if the top BP numbers didn't go down to just call and he would prescribe a diuretic, no need to come in. He didn't need to see me for another 6 months. Sounds like the cardiologist, at my 2 week final check-up, he had 10 minutes available for me...I drove an hour and a half to get there.
I've got questions..I feel like I'm getting the bum's rush. Dislike being treated like a hypochondriac, or nut basket by these doctors who can't seem to find the time to listen.
Bottom line is I do not trust my doctors. Working on insurance through hubby's work place, depends on the cost.

Main reason I called for the appointment with a therapist, wanted someone to look at the whole situation and respond with medicine if needed and therapy.
About a month ago I called and made an appointment with a woman psychiatrist. Thinking (stupid me) she might be able to relate, she was actually snickering over her note book, thinking this all had to do with menopause, (believe it's a factor but, not the whole story). Maybe, if she was sitting in this body she would know.
One appointment was it...

What my health plan offers is certain mental health providers for 8 sessions, if added sessions are needed you need a referral.
We are retired military, seen at a military clinic. Takes 3 weeks or more to get an appointment, or 3 days to talk to you GP over the phone.
Maybe, the therapist I see will have info on behavioral, depression, or anxiety classes.

Went to Amazon, and picked up the books that were recommended. Also, picked up: Hope and Help for Your Nerves"
by Claire Weekes.

Husband and I walk everyday... some days it's a real push.
Diet has been changed drastically...low sodium for me. No more cokes, 1/2 cup coffee at the most, took Eagle's suggestion awhile back about the white's, breads, noodles, sugars, etc.
Sugar is pretty much non-existent except for the occasional sugar free Nips, then a bite of chocolate here and there.

I'm not looking for pity, just help getting to a place where I can function. Looking at all options, and putting to use what works for me.

Thanks, for your suggestions...they are appreciated.

Brenda

#33480 - 10/25/05 01:39 PM Re: effexor
Junebug Offline

Loc: 10 yrs in OH now, 47 yrs in Tx
Brenda,
When wanting to know about drug interactions your pharmasist (msp) is the best person to ask. They are more familiar whith the meds and hear more about their interactions. Doctors don't have the time or want to to keep up with all of this. When taking a new med, I always ask my pharamist if it or and over the counter med will have bad interactions with what I am taking. We do mail order, but the pharmacist we used to trade with always helps me. Beside, I just call and do not give a name, just the meds. LOL

Someone said paxil was hard to get off. I have heard that, but they say I will have to stay on it for yrs. It couldn't be any harder than effexor to get off of and I am taking 20mg of paxil and was taking 75mg of effexor. I have had much worse being overdosed on seizure meds and halucinating so bad; I will deal if it happens.

Panic attacks also can be caused by allergies. I cannot go through the laundry isle in a grocery store, because of all the smells and I guess stuff in the air. I get panic attacks, and panic and anxiety attacks are real. They are triggered in a certain part of your brain, I can't remember now, by many different things. Like I said, until I got off effexor, I had never had a panic or anxiety attack. I had no idea what was happening to me at first. TG my neurologist did.

I think they can happen for a multiple of reason and unknown reasons, we are all different, by what my neurologist and family practitioner say.
Like migraines, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, etc. They really do not know the cause for of these yet! Mostly speculations and theories.

#33481 - 10/25/05 06:01 PM Re: effexor
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I didn't realize how much Paxil altered my brain until I tried going off of it. Electrical shocks running down my arms, chest and then my head. I thought I was having a seizure or something and I felt very ill. We had company at the time and I'm afraid I wasn't a very good hostess.

When I smoked my doctor gave me Zyban, which was supposed to lessen the cravings. One afternoon I was sitting on the sofa and it was time to feed my dogs and this thought suddenly sprung into my head, "I can't feed the dogs because I have to kill myself!" It terrified me! I went off the Zyban immediately.

#33482 - 10/25/05 08:28 PM Re: effexor
yepthatsme2 Offline

Let me start off saying...I changed my signature. Do believe everyone thought, I was Speaker Mom at times.

Yes, I'm sure that poor pharmacist isn't getting paid enough money... he gets more face time, from me than his wife. LOL

Just so frustrating at times, trying to keep up...and really wanting to throw a tantrum fit (like young children often do). You know...throw yourself on the floor, scream and cry, kick your feet, hold your breath, jump up down, then carry on feeling much better. [Eek!]
So adult of me!

Thanks, for all the suggestions and advice....I value each and every thought.
Appointment, is tomorrow at noon... pray it is the light of a new season in my life.

#33483 - 11/04/05 08:25 AM Re: effexor
Doctor Karen Offline

Hi Brenda, Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Good for you for following up with finding books. Claire Weekes is very good. I think most anywhere one has to wait for appointments and there are limitations of visits. You mentioned taking Xanax. It is NOT an anti-depressant. It is a tranquilzer or anti-anxiety agent to be taken as needed. It is very addictive, so don't overdo. Yes, some folks have trouble withdrawing from Paxil but not because it is addictive. Withdrawing very slowly is the answer...even down 5 mg. for a week at a time. The three most common thing the psychiatrists at my clinic recommend as sleep aids (over the counter) are Tylenol PM, benadryl, and melatonin (the natural sleep aid). It's hard when your MD won't give you the time. But it is VERY common for women our age to be dismissed with the menopause schtick when there are mutiple problems that could be going on. Hope your appt with your therapist helped. Keep posting.

#33484 - 11/03/05 09:18 PM Re: effexor
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I take Paxil CR & Xanax .25 mg if needed for major panic/anxiety attacks.
I had been taking xanax to sleep at night & didn't like the side effects. I couldn't time it right & would be a zombie in the mornings. I cut it down to a half a pill & now I am not taking it to sleep at all.
I have been warned by the pharmacist on many refills that I shouldn't stop taking my paxil cold turkey. My doctor told me that I would have to be weaned off of it when the time came to do so.
When I first began paxil, I felt drunk. And also had the light headed, funky feelings. I had to take regular 40 mg paxil when they were having problems with the CR & it was on back order everywhere. I could feel the difference--cried all the time.
I really have no side effects of the CR--except having little emotion most of the time. But my mental state is better....mostly!!! ( I am having problems with the fear of dying alone lately.)
I am lucky that I have a good doctor that listens. And knows the family history. Even the nurses/receptionists! If only everyone could have a positive experience with their doctors.

#33485 - 11/03/05 09:41 PM Re: effexor
yepthatsme2 Offline

Doctor Karen,

Thanks, for the reply...went for my appointment with the therapist (social worker) on Oct. 26. Was really hoping a physiatrist would be on board to check the med's and write a rx. Not so.
Therapist did recommend a physiatrist in Richmond, (60 miles away) someone she use to work with. Sixty miles away, on I-95 is not my idea of a fun time. But, I did call...not taking any patients until after the first of the year, plus doesn't accept my insurance. So, that's out.

She did inform me the physiatrist I saw a couple of months ago has a reputation for laughing over notebooks and such, not the first complaint she has heard. Felt better hearing that...
She could not recommend any one in town.

Yesterday, I went for another appointment, she looked a bit upset when I told her the doctor in Richmond would not be able to help.
Just not getting the warm fuzzy feeling.... I'm doing a lot of talking, she's listening but...I don't feel it's headed anywhere. Maybe, more time is needed.

Anyways....
Have been doing some research on the different anti-depressants and leaning toward Zoloft, it has been used in heart patients, plus helps with anxiety and panic. Finding the anxiety and panic not happening as often.
Taking a look at my blood pressure readings, the numbers are only higher in the mornings. Only take 1/2 of lopressor at night, so maybe I need just a bit more at night. So, I will call the GP this week and see if he will write the prescription, for Zoloft before adding more BP medicine.
Not taking the clonazepam he prescribed, took it twice and leg cramps were unbelievable. Xanax only rarely. Have been taking benadryl, that seems to work best.

Feel like I'm in a circle, and traveling around and around. Hopefully, one of these laps will lead me in the right direction.

That's my prayer.

#33486 - 11/04/05 03:04 AM Re: effexor
Doctor Karen Offline

Brenda, Good for you for keeping up the effort. That alone may help you get better. At least you're doing some "exposure" therapy with those calls and doctor visits. Getting out there and staying out there is half the battle. I'm sorry that I don't know of any resources for you but did find this list of psychiatrists in VA. Check it against your health plan's list of approved providers.
https://connect.inova.com/physician/mddb.ipc_search_results.ipc_query

This may not help since they may not be close enough or approved for your health plan. But it's worth a try.

The nearest Kaiser facility to you (where I work here in CA) is in Woodbridge, VA. Their number is 703-490-8400. You might find whether they have any appropriate Health Education classes.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved