The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#33548 - 09/16/06 12:22 PM Re: effexor [Re: ]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Anne, sometimes the side effects are worse than the original symptoms.

Do you ever hear those commercials on TV for drugs? It seems like the list of possible side effects takes more time than the promotion for the drug.

#33549 - 09/17/06 02:11 AM Re: effexor
von62653 Offline
stranger

Loc: South Florida
Quote:

Anne, sometimes the side effects are worse than the original symptoms.

Do you ever hear those commercials on TV for drugs? It seems like the list of possible side effects takes more time than the promotion for the drug.

I agree with you on that one, Dotsie. I had a thought today while I was getting a massage (I've been getting them once a month), massages are therapeutic in so many ways, maybe it would help depression. I know I feel great when I leave. Has anybody ever heard of massage therapy being good for depression?

#33550 - 09/26/06 02:48 AM Re: effexor [Re: von62653]
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Von, I've never searched for studies indicating that massage alleviates depression, but who needs a study to let you know what makes you feel better? I successfully made the transition from Celexa to Cymbalta. I had no "withdrawal" symptoms, and so far no side effects from Cymbalta. I am better able to get out of bed in the morning without feeling weepy and/or worthless. It's not all about meds. I did get feedback that helped to boost my mental health.

#33551 - 09/26/06 11:27 AM Re: effexor [Re: Princess Lenora]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Von, I don't know how I missed your post - blame it on living between two households these days!

When I went through my last breakdown/depression, my doctor did send me to massage therapy. While it was soothing, I would not have said it was doing anything for my depression. But early one morning I went in for an hour-long back massage. Just minutes into it, I started crying. He kept massaging, I kept sobbing. I was somewhat embarrassed, but the therapist was ecstatic - told me, "it's working, it's working". Well, I sobbed for the entire hour, non-stop, and when I got up from the table, he asked me if I knew where the tears had come from. As we delved a little further, I realized for the first time that morning that that particular day was the fifth anniversary of my Dad's death. Up until that morning, I had been suffering unrelenting grief over my Dad's sudden death, but since that massage, I haven't experienced that profoundly overwhelming sadness again - I think it's safe to say that I was healed of that pain.

I never went back for another massage, though I probably should have, to let him work on the grief over my Mom's death! But I haven't felt the need for a massage since that morning. I'll know when it's time to go back.

(Maya Angelou)

#33552 - 09/26/06 05:00 PM Re: effexor [Re: Eagle Heart]
Princess Lenora Offline

Wow, Eagle, what an experience. I have friends who are massage therapists and they say that an experience such as yours may often happen. As you know, our muscles hold memory, and you had quite the release. Since I was a victim of DV and CSA, it took an awful lot for me to go to massage because touch was a trigger for me, especially in vulnerable half-naked positions. But my chiropractor had offered it to me in adjunct therapy to neck pain and migraines. At first, I was too tense and hyper-vigilent to enjoy the massage. I've since learned to relax, and to distinguish the sensations of good, therapeutic touch. I try to go once a month now. I had regular massage during cancer because my body was so poked and prodded and I needed a balance of good touch. The massage therapist was so in tune to being gentle. I was so grateful that I had let go of my old muscle memory of bad touch in order to experience the good. Massage has turned out to be so beneficial as a healing method for whatever ails!

#33553 - 09/26/06 05:43 PM Re: effexor [Re: Princess Lenora]
Eagle Heart Offline

Lynnie, I can understand your reluctance to get a massage - I've never been abused but was always too "hyper-vigilent" and nervous about being inappropriately touched to enjoy going for massage therapy before. Even after such an enjoyable massage experience with this particular therapist, I still tend to be cautious.

But I've been trying to convince my brother to go. He's torn. He would definitely enjoy a gentle soothing massage, but not a rough one - even if it was meant to be therapeutic. I think he just doesn't want to take the chance right now. Maybe after a few more chemo treatments!

(Maya Angelou)

#33554 - 09/26/06 08:03 PM Re: effexor [Re: Eagle Heart]
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I like a gentle massage but no matter how plainly I tell them I want their gentle touch, they find knots in my back and start digging. It just frustrates me so much! If they would be soft, I might relax and the knots would go away but noooooooo...they have to work them out! I felt like I had been beat up after the last one.

We were at a resort and I was in need of a massage but they only had a male available so I reluctantly said okay. His name was Pat and he was from Russia. You know how your face fits in that little hole when you're on your stomach? Well, his sneakers smelled so bad and I couldn't get away from the stench while he was working on that part of my body. What an experience!

Boomer Queen of Shoes

#33555 - 09/28/06 02:15 AM Re: effexor [Re: Dianne]
Princess Lenora Offline

Wow, Dianne, what an awful stinky experience! Massage should not hurt. If you feel like you've been beat, never go back. I can't/won't get a massage from a male. That's just the way it is and will be. Eagle, have you asked around your brother's area for a massage therapist? What is he doing for himself that can help him feel in control of his body when the whole world seemingly has their hands on it with needles & syringes?

#33556 - 09/28/06 01:28 PM Re: effexor [Re: Princess Lenora]
Eagle Heart Offline

Lynnie, my brother is still too weak to do much more than sleep/rest all day. It's very difficult for him to even cook for himself, much less get out to a massage therapist right now. I guess the thing he does these days to help himself feel some control is "nothing", because that's what gives him the most pleasure right now - a "best" day for him is one where he doesn't have to go anywhere, doesn't have to take a shower, doesn't have to get dressed and can just stay home in bed/on the couch all day. We can see the toll that any activity takes on him, so are increasing the amount of time we spend with him. I'm living at his place 4-5 days a week now. We can see the difference it makes in his morale.

So I don't think he'll be going for a massage anytime soon - but I hope to convince him to go eventually. I massage his feet now and then at home, and during his chemo treatment...he loves that, and it helps the circulation flow too - so I always tell him how much nicer it would be if his BACK were getting massaged like that too!

(Maya Angelou)

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved