The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 51 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#33618 - 08/21/05 06:32 PM Re: OCD
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Thanks. I saw a psychologist for it and I just didn't like him so I stopped going. I was on Paxil at the time, which didn't help at all. I decided I'd rather count than sit in his office again. [Razz] I've been going through a lot of stress lately so I'm sure it contributes to the counting. It's sad when you drive yourself nuts instead of someone else doing it!

Typing with your fingers. Never heard of it but if it brings comfort to you, why not?

#33619 - 08/22/05 05:56 PM Re: OCD
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Doctor Karen, thanks for jumping in with professional help. I'm always in favor of reading self-help books that are recommended by friends. Often we have to get through a couple before we find the perfect one. Again, thanks!

Dianne, you are in my thoughts and prayers. So is your daughter.

#33620 - 08/23/05 01:29 AM Re: OCD
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
I've never read the book you mentioned, but I will. One of my favorites is quite old now I suppose, but it's "The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing" by Dr. Judith Rapoport. It's the first one I read after I was diagnosed.

You know, when you said it's typical for sufferers of OCD not to bring up certain things when they finally do seek help unless directly asked, you are so right. I was misdiagnosed time and time again and believe it or not, had never once been asked the "right" questions. I find that amazing.

I have to be very careful when I discuss my OCD with people because I have a tendency to seem almost angry about it and I never want to come off that way.

Let me explain. OCD is a very real part of who I am. It has been my life long tormentor, my faithful companion and everything in between. For a long, long time, OCD and I were locked in a full scale war as to who would own my brain and I'm not ashamed to tell you now that more than once, the OCD nearly won. Suicide seemed like a reasonable option.

So, when I am approached by someone who wants to know about OCD and then seems to dismiss it as nothing more than being a neat freak, or a germaphobe or someone that tries never to step on a crack in the sidewalk, I want to scream. After all I've suffered and all that those that love me have suffered, I guess I want the world to know that OCD is a big, big deal and fully capable of taking the life of someone who just can't fight the battle any longer.

By the way, please, please don't anyone misunderstand and think I'm adressing any of you. That's not the case at all as you have not been at all insensitive. On the contrary.

But it seems that there are so many I meet who just don't get it and think I should be able to simply "stop it" and even have the audacity to tell me that because they straighten their shelves constantly, they have OCD and "it's really not a problem".

You'll forgive my diatribe, ladies. The subject of this disorder understandably leaves me emotional sometimes. I tell people it's like having a siamese twin...who never shuts up.

#33621 - 08/23/05 01:29 AM Re: OCD
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Thanks Dotsie. Things are going much better now...finally. We have to find a way to reduce these horrible PMS symptoms. She's on two meds and it just doesn't seem to be helping. She's like a crazy woman and then, I feel like a crazy woman trying to live with her.

The drinking is getting better too. Thank the good lord.

#33622 - 09/07/05 11:00 AM Re: OCD
Doctor Karen Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Sher, Full blown OCD IS TERRIBLE. It is VERY difficult to treat (with medication or therapy) and it takes a lot of courage for the sufferer just to face they have it. The lesser forms are, as you say, just bothersome. But just one thought...I've had a lot of patients where I'm the third or fourth one they've tried and they find it helpful. Or maybe I was the first one they didn't like and went on to find someone they clicked with. Like all professions, I think the right combination is more important than the skills of the therapist per so. And medications are an experiment always...we never know ahead of time what mediation will work for which patient. It absolutely in NOT a matter of simply telling yourself to STOP (and that is not the gist of Foa's book...the title's a bit misleading). I'll think a lot of good thoughts for you...different ones!! Karen

#33623 - 09/08/05 07:48 AM Re: OCD
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
When I was a child, I counted everything, typed on invisible typewriters in high school, and still wake up sometimes with a song running through my head I can't get rid of. I think those early problems were just a preamble to the emotional problems I've had as an adult. I'm on medication for panic/anxiety disorder and depression, I also have a wonderful therapist.

This is fall, the first of September always hits me and SAD begins to creep into my life. Stress level affects all of the above in my life, and right now due to loss of Dr, no prescriptions can be refilled, grandkids, well, there's a list right now. I'm just trying to get through each one as they come. I will probably call and make another appointment with my therapist.

Can a medical Dr office throw you out of the practice because of a bill that I thought was taken care of, and got sent to collections, (less than $25) ? That happened almost 3 years ago and now they're refusing to see me because of that. I owe them absolutely nothing, haven't for all that time, took care of the collections thing as soon as I found it out, and they've been treating me all this time. Suddenly, I call for my husband and they say it was his bill and because he's my husband they won't see me anymore either. This has nearly freaked me out. Especially since prescriptions were all cancelled and I only have enough for 3 weeks.

Sorry, monopolizing the thread again, I'm sorry.

Sherri

#33624 - 09/08/05 05:28 AM Re: OCD
Doctor Karen Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Sherri, Contact your county medical association and report the situation you described to see if anything can be done. There are ethical issues about patient abandonment in almost all professions. They should at a minimum refill your prescriptions until you have had an opportunity to get another doctor. If they are part of a health plan, then contact the health plan and inform them of what has happened. Good luck, Karen

#33625 - 09/09/05 07:56 AM Re: OCD
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Thanks Karen,

I was notified by the drugstore that my prescriptions had been renewed. That was after I had taken a letter over and asked my Dr's PA to give it to him personally. I still haven't heard if I'm still a patient or not. I will find out and if not, I will call the people you mentioned. My sister is a Supervisor for the company that carries our insurance. I'll check and see what she has to say too.

Good news, my prescriptions were refilled for a year. I quit having panic attacks trying to come on when I found that out. Relieved a lot of stress.

#33626 - 09/20/05 08:43 PM Re: OCD
Jule Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I just found this site today after reading an article in the Denver Post. For those of you living with OCD yourself, or with OCD in family members, I want you to know that there is great support available. Someone posted the OC Foundation website: www.ocfoundation.org. They give links to online support groups. ocdandparenting (yahoogroups.com)was a lifesaver for me (still is) when my son was diagnosed at 9 with OCD and comorbid depression. I attend the national conference almost yearly and get together with the wonderful women who became my lifelines. I also am a conference presenter on ocd and school issues, parent-clinician and parent-parent panels. If anyone wants more info they can email me directly. Please know there is successful treatment for OCD, even though it is really hard to find a therapist trained in this specific mental illness. I have a list of books, websites, and other resources. Mental illness is treated more succesfully than heart disease. If only people knew.

#33627 - 09/20/05 11:08 PM Re: OCD
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Welcome Julie,

I'm in the denver area - what article did you read?

Thanks for sharing all of that great info!

Danita

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved