The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#33759 - 11/30/05 07:39 PM Re: Sleep Disorders
ladybug Offline

Maybe something you're not aware of is that with most antidepressants sleeplessness is a problem after you've been on them for awhile.

You might want to read the books by Doctor Peter Breggin about antidepressants. His work is a real eye-opener.

#33760 - 11/30/05 09:45 PM Re: Sleep Disorders
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Hi all, I lit some aroma candles, turned out the lights, played nature music and took a long hot bath last night. This was around 9:00 I went to bed at 2:00, 5 freakin hrs after I took my "sleeping pill" and my bath!
I did sleep like a baby and woke refreshed at 7:30.
I don't like the sleeping pill because, I feel it affects my driver reaction time. I ran 3 way stop sign (one I always use) 2 days after I was on the pill. If anything was coming, it would have been lights out for someone. It was at night,I usually don't drive at night.Yesterday, I (who always stays 3 - 4 car lenghts behind, thank God) had to hit my brakes and my car kind of skidded/jumped to a stop. I am staying close to home until my appointment on the 22nd. I was thinking it was a menopausal thing but I think it's the pill trazadone. I want to go off the trazadone but don't know how. I am not supposed to quit cold turkey...
It makes me lose my balance during the day also. Not too bad,just an extra side step here and there. Still, too much for me to handle. I despise pills so when I get off this crap, I'm going "healthy ways" and nothing else.

chick

#33761 - 11/30/05 09:47 PM Re: Sleep Disorders
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Unless someone has walked in the persons shoes who has depression or anxiety, they have no way of even comprehending how devastating it can be.
If, talk therapy alone works for some, that's great. But, that is not always the case.
At this point in time, I believe depression and anxiety tend to run in my family. During the teenage years my son had severe depression, and out of control behavior, and no regard to authority.
He was making bombs in his room and threatened suicide daily. He spent more than a year and a half in the hospital. Without medication, I'm not so sure he would be here now. Did I want him to take drugs that changed his body chemistry? No...but, he no longer threatened suicide, and the bomb making stopped. Today he is drug free...he still has a hard time staying with a job longer than 3 months at a time.
My dad committed suicide, by placing a gun in his mouth and pulling the trigger. Not sure this man was ever happy with his life upon this earth. Too sad. His uncle committed suicide in the same fashion years earlier.
My mom...I'm really not sure how she put up with all she did without some sort of help. Between the abuse & drinking and failing health she endured through out her years here.
My brother has faced depression for a long period of time...suffering through without any medicine or counseling.
His 17 year old son, collapsed about a month ago due to stress and anxiety.
If, counseling alone works, I'm all for it. But, if you need medication to round the next corner, or move ahead then so be it.
Today I started Zoloft, the depression and anxiety are more than I can handle... I pray for the dark clouds to lift soon.
Took Prozac for years, until it no longer worked for me, my sleep was restful, my mood was free of anxiety and depression. Hopefully, the new medicine will work just as well.
There are plenty of us who would like nothing better than not to have to take a pill.
I even fought taking my heart medicine for awhile...
But, it's not always an option.

#33762 - 11/30/05 10:07 PM Re: Sleep Disorders
ladybug Offline

No one should ever just go off any medication as these drugs can have serious withdrawal effects.

Chickadee have you told your doctor how this drug affects you? Maybe he can prescribe something else or the dose is too high. If you do go off of it I'm sure your doctor will tell you how to do it gradually. Never attempt to do this yourself.

#33763 - 11/30/05 10:08 PM Re: Sleep Disorders
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Lynnie...I'm so glad to hear you have found an aid that helps you to get the eight hours of sleep you need. When I first started taking a new antidepressant (after the vaso-spasms in June), the doctor prescribed a small dose of xanax, for 2 weeks only.
Hopefully, after the zoloft kicks in, my sleep will improve.
Counseling seems to be helping some also.
Menopause isn't a big help right now...but, I expect all to fall into place in time.
Wishing you much peace and endless love in your life...I know it's been a long road for you.

#33764 - 11/30/05 11:48 PM Re: Sleep Disorders
ladybug Offline

When my husband had his stroke in March I thought my "perfect world" had come crashing in on me.

I suffered with depression. My doctor prescribed Lexapro. He also gave me a "starter pack." The unfilled prescription and un-opened pills are still in the bottom of my armoire.

In my own case I had to realize that these pills were not going to restore the part of the brain that my husband lost. I had a few good shoulders to cry on and a lot of bitterness to work through. Without those shoulders, mainly our son's. I probably would've needed that medication for the mental anguish I was going through. I felt in my own case, that I needed to be as clear-headed as possible for our son and daughter. It was my own feeling that by taking the pills it would only postpone my own healing process.

What I am saying is that how each of your deal with depression is your own choice. As yepthatsme said, and correctly so, what works for some may not work for others and medication then becomes necessary. You've got to do what works for you. Do not feel that you are weak or cave in to what others tell you if you decide you need medication. It's there to help you if you do need it.

#33765 - 11/30/05 11:49 PM Re: Sleep Disorders
ladybug Offline

And yes, menopause adds to the problems of depression as well.

#33766 - 12/01/05 02:15 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Interestingly enough, I actually decreased my depression meds while my husband was so sick last year. I was still going to a therapist until last spring, but stopped because we both thought I was strong enough to go it alone. So far, so good.

It's wonderful knowing how much stronger I am now than I was a few years ago. But I probably will never be off my meds completely. As somebady said, we all need to do what works for us. And what works can change over time.

#33768 - 12/01/05 05:16 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Chromium can be very dangerous to those with heart problems, especially to those who may have heart problems and not know it. Ladybug, I can't imagine what you must go through in terms of grief. Sometimes the medications such as Lexapro keep us clear headed, but help us cope. I'm glad you were able to turn to other family members for support. You must have a close family. How are you doing now? NH, as you say, I will probably never be off meds completely. I will take Celexa to a desert island with me. If I am stuck on a desert island, I want Celexa (an anti-depressant) to help me cope. I do plan to curtail the Xanax once I get settled in our new house. My nightmares have nearly vanished completely. NH, I am so glad to hear that you can notice your own improvement in strength!

#33769 - 12/01/05 05:24 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Chick, it sounds like you went through an awful lot of trouble to get to what most people take for granted: sleep! Wow, it also sounds like the med is too much for you. Why wait until the 22nd? Can you call the doc and ask to lessen the dose? This could get dangerous! Ladybug, are Breggin's books pro or con anti depressants? Yep, I am so sorry that you and your family have had to endure so much despair. I don't often hear of talk therapy alone working; it usually is helpful in conjunction with other. Talk therapy alone did not work for me in the 70s. That must be horrible for you to have to deal with a father and a son who is suicidal. My father committed suicide via hand gun, and I had a brother who jumped off a bridge. Obviously, there is a genetic component. Prozac left me mindless. Zoloft worked much better for me. I hope it is good for you. You need some relief from sadness, grief, and worry. I guess pills can help one cope, but other modes of self care can help too, like journal writing. Wishing you all lots of love and light, Lynn

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved