The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 184 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#33770 - 12/01/05 06:23 PM Re: Sleep Disorders
ladybug Offline

Breggins books are con for the most part. He is a doctor himself and has been lobbying congress to get some of the antidepressants off the market. He's also written a few books on Ritalin and other drugs similar to it. These drugs are also on his list as needing to be eliminated because of their danger.

I think it's important to read up on a drug your doctor plans on giving you just to know all the facts. It never hurts to be an educated consumer.

#33771 - 12/02/05 08:41 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I hope no one thought I was being flip by offering the simple suggestion to take a warm bath.

I went through a period of depression years ago and sleepless nights were a part of it. My doctor prescribed a mild sleeping pill and told me to use it religiously. He said it's the only way they work. The mind/body needs to be retrained. It needs to set the healthy pattern again of sleeping through the night. It made sense to me, and it worked!

#33772 - 12/01/05 09:53 PM Re: Sleep Disorders
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Dotsie,

I didn't think you were being flip at all. Sometimes that's all I need to relax me too. Sleeping pills have never worked for me because I'm too stubborn to take them regularly. I can generally sleep through the night as long as I make sure I'm tired enough when I go to bed. After 10 minutes of being awake, I get up and do something quiet. I know my sleep pattern isn't completely healthy, but it's the best I can do for now.

#33773 - 12/02/05 12:34 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
ladybug Offline

Dotsie, I didn't think you were being flip either. Some of my menopause books also advise a hot bath before bed as a good way to relax.

In fact, I love a hot bath almost every night after I take my walk.

#33774 - 12/02/05 02:38 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
ladybug Offline

Lynnie, I am much better now thank you. You see I was always good at hiding hurt and disappointment. My kids once asked me how come I am always so happy? They had no idea and they are amazed now at how well I covered up my grief.

The strongest support I had was from our 20 year old son. My husband's stroke occurred on his 20th birthday. We spent it in the hospital not knowing whether he was going to live or die or what the outcome would be.

I knew I had to be strong and get on with our lives as best as I could because they were looking to me for that strength. It did bring my son down. He had terrible chest pains for awhile. A check-up showed he was just fine but suffering from the stress of it all.

[ December 01, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#33775 - 12/02/05 04:05 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Dotsie...no way did I think you were being flip.
Really appreciate all the ideas I can get right now. Only wish a warm bath would do the trick.
Started the new antidepressant and it doesn't do thing one to help with sleep. Every night my eyes fly open at 3a.m., don't even have to look at the clock anymore. [Mad]

Maybe, that will change in a week or so.

#33776 - 12/02/05 06:40 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
ladybug Offline

yepthatsme2, give it time, you say you just started it? That's probably why it hasn't kicked in yet.

Yikes, I know what you mean about waking up in the early morning and it's not even close to the time you have to get up yet. I hate that too!!!!!!!! [Mad]

#33777 - 12/02/05 09:18 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
Lynnie mentioned 'night terrors', there must be a variety of reasons for them to happen, i would just like to share that they also afflict men.. My husband used to frequently have terrible 'nightmares', which he always said he 'couln't remember', he would suddenly move violently about, shout, swear, get out of bed, do strange things, for example, once he had all the rifles off the wall in bed beside us, once opened the windows and looking all around outside searching for something, another time holding up the wall with all his might rifles beside him, this went on until his fifties. Then he found out that we found out, he as a boy had been abused by a pedophile and that was something to come to terms with. I dont think it is a coincident that he has never had a 'night terror' or 'night mare' since.

#33778 - 12/02/05 09:41 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
it is good to hear that antidepressants can also have positive effects . My mom was on antidepressants from her early forties, until she died at 84, but it seemed she was always still 'down', never angry, (and she had reasons at times to be angry), but so few, few times happy, never joyful, or excited, or curious....just flat. We have pictures of her in her thirties, and it is strange, like who was this woman with the broad wonderful smile ? We dont have a picture of her smiling in any years after her mid thirties.

#33779 - 12/02/05 10:36 AM Re: Sleep Disorders
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Lynnie, I am callin in the morning or going over there to ask Doc how to wean off the sleeping/antidepressant. Thanks for suggesting it. I am having nightmares.
Dotsie,I knew you weren't being flip. You have mentioned a hot bath on occasion. I started a few nights ago and have had a bath every night since. I am glad you mentioned it and I 'finally' listened. BTW do you remember the sleeping pill that you were prescribed?
Yepthatsme, I was the same way, Eyes just flew open around 3:00. I read about your Dad. I am so sorry.

Norma, I am also saddened by your story of your Mom. I appreciate you posting it here. ((Hugs))

A peaceful night to all...

chick

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved