The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#33820 - 12/14/05 11:51 PM Depression at Christmas
ladybug Offline

It's the time of year that get many people down especially those with depression.

If you know of anyone that suffers from depression please remember to call them or stop over to see them with a plate of cookies or whatever you can offer.

Sometimes a kind voice and just the idea that someone is thinking of them can work wonders.

If you know they'll be alone on Christmas Eve or Christmas day invite them over. It's hard to be all alone so don't forget these special folks who need our love.

#33821 - 12/15/05 12:28 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Ladybug, what a great reminder. I have bipolar, and depression is something I struggle against a lot.

We don't want to get caught up in a viscious circle of "nobody wants to be around me because I'm depressed and I'm depressed because no one wants to be around me."

Try to be gentle with those who are depressed; don't force them against their will, don't berate them. They'll respond much better with thoughtful nudges.

#33822 - 12/15/05 12:37 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
ladybug Offline

Vicki, I told this person ahead of time that I want him at our Christmas table. I'll be calling him again soon to remind him. I was thinking of this person when I wrote this and of course anyone who suffers from depression. I can't believe that anyone would berate a person who suffers from depression. Do you find this happening a lot?

I think depression is much more common than we realize. This is a hard time for anyone to be alone especially someone with depression.

[ December 14, 2005, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#33823 - 12/15/05 12:41 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Great topic. Thanks for the reminder.

Vicki, your comment reminded me of something a depressed woman friend once said, "I don't want to be around happy people." SHe was so sad that she couldn't bring herself to be around those who could cheer her up. That's when it may be time to see someone professionally. DOn't you think?

#33824 - 12/15/05 12:49 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
When I was severely depressed, I didn't want to be around ANY people. That was when I knew I needed professional help. You can't force someone who's depressed to snap out of it just because everyone else is celebrating. I only wish that was always the case.

#33825 - 12/15/05 01:41 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Depression is not something you just "get over". I've seen people who say, "Oh, I was depressed, but then I just told myself to snap out of it." That person wasn't depressed. They were a little sad for awhile. Depression is a serious illness that takes a hold of a person and turns their life upside down.

I've seen people who used to tell me, "just get over it, all it takes is a little willpower."

Those kind of people who berate you, aren't doing you any favors by trying to "force" you to lose your depression. Sometimes people don't even notice that they're depressed for a long time.

It takes a while to discover that you're depressed. But, eventually the realization comes that "hey, it's been a long time since I've smiled, or had a happy thought."

Sometimes, you can't tell a person is depressed because they hide it. I used to hide my depression because I thought people wouldn't want to be around me if they knew I was depressed. I faked having fun. I went out, I had a social life, and I pretended to enjoy myself. But, the depression was still there.

People who are depressed need to seek professional help. It's a serious illness that requires a sensitive, caring medical provider who can help the person understand that it's not their fault they're depressed and there are therapies to help overcome it.

#33826 - 12/15/05 01:52 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Sometimes people are misdiagnosed as depressed when they are simply lonely. And they can be lonely in a crowd. Maybe it's the lonely people who can be helped by being included in our celebrations.

Just a thought.

This is a joyous time and also a hard time for so many people.

smile

#33827 - 12/15/05 01:53 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Sometimes people are misdiagnosed as depressed when they are simply lonely. And they can be lonely in a crowd. Maybe it's the lonely people who can be helped by being included in our celebrations.

Just a thought.

This is a joyous time and also a hard time for so many people.

smile

#33828 - 12/15/05 01:57 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Smile, you make a good point.

Lonely people need others to help them celebrate Christmas too.

#33829 - 12/15/05 02:40 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
ladybug Offline

This man I am talking about takes medication and has been depressed for many years. He's divorced, his parents are gone and his older brother passed away several years ago. His only remaining family are two nephews who refuse to have anything to do with him. He's also retired on disability from open heart surgery.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved