The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 128 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#33900 - 01/03/06 03:38 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Does sound quite promising however Karen. Better not to get our hopes up and just take things as they come, one event at a time....I find that mindset better all the way around in life in general.

#33901 - 01/04/06 03:30 AM Re: Depression at Christmas
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Susiq,
You are the first person I have ever heard who understands that issue and how destructive it can be.

My daughter's mother in law has done that to her children and now she is doing it to our grandchildren. It makes me crazy, but it is impossible to talk to her about it.

She insists those 'pie in the sky' expectations are 'possible' and certainly anything is possible, but stardom is the result of years of effort and a lot of luck. I think it is cruel to plant those expectations in a child. And it sets them up for failure from the first.

I generally try not attempt to change people, but it breaks my heart to see how this woman has damaged her children and is now doing the same thing to our grandchildren. Otherwise, she is a nice person. I just wish I could convince her to stop destroying her children and our grandchildren?

Do you or anyone else have any ideas how I might talk to this woman about this? I have tried being direct, but she just implies that I am a negative person and don't believe in our grandchildren's potential. I was beginning to believe her.

smile

[ January 03, 2006, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#33902 - 01/04/06 11:03 PM Re: Depression at Christmas
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Suzie,
Maybe that's it. The woman I spoke of seems disappointed in the achievements in her own life. Maybe her parents did that over expectations thing to her. I wonder.

Either way, I feel I should try to stop what seems destrucive to our grandchildren, but I simply cannot think of a way. My daughter sees the problem, but is helpless also. Sometimes my son in law tries so bring the kids back to reality and winds up talking them out of even trying.
I've tried to use the approach of success being in the trying, but when someone is out there setting them up with almost impossible aspirations, it's hard.

I just don't know how to handle this.
smile

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved