The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 109 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >
Topic Options
#33983 - 01/24/06 09:31 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
kidogo Offline

Loc: New York
Friend of mine sent me this via email a while back. I saved it and thought it was too cute not to share with the group.

Dear Lord,
So far today, I am doing all right.
I have not gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, nasty, selfish, or self-indulgent. I have not whined, complained, cursed, or eaten any chocolate. I have not charged on my credit card.
But I will be getting out of bed in a minute, and I think I will really need your help then.

#33984 - 01/24/06 06:47 PM Re: 12 Step for anyone
ladybug Offline

Good one kidogo and thanks for being here.

SuzieQ, I'm glad you do find this particular forum a good place to be. How are you today?

I've signed up on Stigmabusters and ready to do battle for all the wonderful people who suffer not only the pain of depression but the ignorance of insensitive people as well. I think it can be hard to recover and heal from depression when many around you seem to sabotage your efforts at helping yourself.

SuzieQ, I can see from what you are telling us that you've made a tremendous amount of progress towards your goal of feeling well again. I must admit that out of many people I know with depression you're putting a good deal of effort into healing yourself. You really do know what it takes to get better. I admire you for it. You are not simply putting your healing in the hands of others but taking an active part in making it happen for yourself. I think you will succeed and go on to helping others recover as well. No one does this better than one who has been there herself. This is true in any situation.

#33985 - 01/24/06 10:51 PM Re: 12 Step for anyone
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I was recently contacted via email by a cousin I haven't seen since I was nine years old. She too suffered from parental and spousal abuse and her sister is a librarian and ran across my book in the library and put two and two together and figured out it was their cousin (yours truly!).

As we've been emailing, I realize there was much more abuse and mental illness in my family. This is four cousins that have contacted me after reading my book and as we all share our horror stories, it's just so depressing.

I think my father's sisters were worse than the boys. Horrible and vile treatment of their children, drug abuse and they were/are Pentecostal fanatics. Maybe they looked for a cure through their religion?

There have been so many times that I've feared I'd end up in a state mental hospital, in a corner and drooling on myself because my father always told me I was mentally ill. Today, I think he was transfering his own disease onto me.

I grieve for those who suffer from something society either doesn't understand or doesn't want to understand because it makes them uncomfortable.

[ January 24, 2006, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Dianne ]

#33986 - 01/24/06 10:51 PM Re: 12 Step for anyone
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Suzieq, that's wonderful news about how you worked through your differences with your psychologist. I'm so glad she saw the error of her ways and is going to work with you in a positive way to help support your recovery.

Good for you for following your instincts and confronting her. Way to go. You rock!

#33987 - 01/25/06 01:33 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
kidogo Offline

Loc: New York
If you share a friend's burden, both of you will walk a little straighter. You are my friends. We share many of the same burdens. Thank you for sharing.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

I wrote a poem about chocolate. I'll try and find it for you SuzieQ. I think you'll like it.

#33988 - 01/25/06 02:08 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Kidogo...now if I could only say that prayer before getting into bed. It is really cute.
Also enjoyed, "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself".

Suzieq...what wonderful news about your psychologist, it's so nice when your more than positive they are listening. Sounds like she really listened to you, and realigned herself in a more positive direction. I never thought about AA when I was in therapy...put it does sound like a positive reinforcement.
You are becoming stronger everyday...I see it within your posts. Me too! Isn't it great???

Dianne...I believe my dad also tried to transfer his disease. Now, I can see how it has affected my brother's life also.
I pray we are the last generation to be effected.

#33989 - 01/25/06 04:18 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
ladybug Offline

This is what I love to see, all these positive stories and reinforcement. We don't need any negativism here.

SuzieQ I'm really glad that you were honest with your doctor. She was probably ashamed of her treatment of you. But, she would never have known unless you were up front with her, so all the credit goes to you.

So often people do want to transfer their disease on to another person. Ever hear that old saying, misery loves company?

That's what a person must do, walk away with your head held high when the ignorant comments come spewing forth out of the mouths of idiots.

I have seen the discomfort of others when faced with something they know nothing about. Their ignorance is plainly seen. These are the people society needs to pity.

[ January 24, 2006, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]

#33990 - 01/25/06 04:25 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
ladybug Offline

Oh yes, and parents love to say, "you're just like me." Sometimes I cringe when I hear that because I am my own person. No one makes my decisions or speaks for me. I am strong and not a branch to be bent to the will of others. I want people to respect me even if they may not like me. I donot want their stupid "labels" and their put downs. Truthfully, I just ignore their dumb comments and to my friends here...you all should too. Demand that respect from others.

#33991 - 01/25/06 07:41 PM Re: 12 Step for anyone
XBWS Offline

Loc: Guilford, CT
Dianne, I'm sorry to hear about your cousins. The good news is they are reaching out to you. That is the first step in healing. They couldn’t have a finer, most loving relative to turn to. Sure it may be depressing, but knowing you can help someone is one of the biggest highs you can get. God has put you here for a purpose.

And oh yes, I know all about parents passing down their problems. I went through years of it with a mother who was undiagnosed bp as well. I finally as an adult read the book "Making Peace With Your Parents". I came to realize that she was doing the best she could, as a result of her upbringing. I talked to people and learned what a rough time she had as a child, trying to live up to two highly successful parents; her father involved with state politics, her mother one of the first female pharmacists. She was sent off to private finishing schools and had a miserable relationship with her parents. I forgave her and we made peace. Thank God, because she died 6 years later.

That book was some of the best therapy I ever had. The author, a doctor, even wrote back to me which further inspirer me. I'd recommend it to anyone.

As for the fools who harass and belittle, who judge, rant and rave or try to control those around them; they have their own problems and lack of self esteem. Why else would they be so eager to try to tear everyone else's down. Let's forgive them and prayer for their recovery.

#33992 - 01/26/06 08:41 AM Re: 12 Step for anyone
ladybug Offline

suzieQ hello and how are you today?

You've hit the nail on the head with your comments about fools. I do agree, I do agree.

Page 7 of 12 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved