The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#34177 - 05/30/06 06:43 PM Re: Relaxing?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I'm usually asleep by 10; not much of a party animal, huh?

I think we stop giving the kids chores as they get older because they're gone at school all day and then have homework and activities in the afternoon/evening.

When I can afford it, I have someone come in to clean, and I straighten for her too. The kids just don't get that part, but I'm with you - she's there to clean not figure out where to put all our junk that's laying around.

I don't stop chores at any certain time. I'm usually up by 5:30 weekdays, and by 7 weekends. I try to do the basic straightening and throw a load of laundry in, then get to work at my computer. (It's hard for me to concentrate on work if the house is a disaster)

I love to keep busy too, and actually feel like I haven't accomplished anything if there's nothing visible to show for it. (My day must be productive!) I've recently spent hours online and researching things for the Rick and June series - yet there's nothing tangible to show for it. That kind of makes me feel like it's a waste of time, even though I know it's something that needs to be done.

We used to play cards with friends; spades, hearts, rummy... haven't done that in awhile -seems everyone is too busy.

#34178 - 05/31/06 02:14 PM Re: Relaxing?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kathy, we have so much in common. Have you always stayed home with the kids?

Maybe if you print some of your research you will have something to show for it. You will never be sorry for the time you are spending researching. I spent about a year researching and planning the BWS site before launching it, but it was time well spent.

What types of things are you researching? Perhaps some of us can help.

#34179 - 05/31/06 06:48 PM Re: Relaxing?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

I worked full time until I was 29, and then I had my first son. At that time, I used my connections from my previous work to set up some part-time work that I could do at home for a real estate agency.

Then I worked part time for a local newspaper, and my mother-in-law took care of Sean for about 15 hours a week. Just enough to keep me sane and bring in a little money.

When my second son was born (I was 34) I decided to stay home and not work at all. Well, one year later I was so ready to use my brain again. Not that you don't use your brain with babies, but playing legos and reading stories all day were not completely fulfilling!

I loved being able to be around when my kids were young; I feel very fortunate.

We moved to Hawaii in 1995 for my husband's work, and I didn't work over there at all. So I got involved with the Community Center and did storytime with crafts for the kids (Ryan was 3 by then) and I set up a toy lending library, etc. Like I said, I have to keep busy.

While we were there, I decided I wanted to continue to work from home when we returned, so I invested in some software and taught myself how to use photoshop, Quark (page layout program), and then eventually Dreamweaver (website program).

My business idea I came back with didn't pan out, but everything I'd learned came to the rescue when my neighbor needed a CD made. Back then, that was tricky stuff! Once I made that for his company, I had leads for more and more work. I've been doing graphics and building websites since we returned in 1997.

Wow, I don't know if you wanted this much info or not! It's amazing how much we share when we're online, huh?

I'll use the next message for my research on Rick and June....

Kathy

#34180 - 05/31/06 06:53 PM Re: Relaxing?
Dancing Dolphin Offline

What have I been researching?

1. Do I stay as a sole proprietor or do I incorporate? ($800 min annual fee in CA)

2. If I incorporate, how do I structure the company to get the best tax benefits?

3. Trademark searches and filings (got this figured out)

4. Gift shows and trade shows: how does the wholesale gift trade work? what do I need to do to prepare for a large gift show?

5. Unique ways to market my gift book series

6. Other designs for the cover; I want to jazz it up somewhat, while still keeping the old Dick and Jane feel

7. New printers (not happy with my old one), waiting for quote from someone I met at BEA now

8. How to generate buzz and get the most press

9. Related products for each book. (like I've got the Wicking Sleepwear for the Hot Flash book, etc)

10. Insurance - how much do I need? Liability, inventory, etc

11. Displays for my series

And the list goes on.... And yes, I've printed lots of it out - I have a stack on my desk about six inches high with printouts, catalogs, ideas pulled from magazines, etc.

Phew! Bet you're sorry you asked!!

#34181 - 06/01/06 07:57 AM Re: Relaxing?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Kathy,
Don't forget to take advantage of your membership with NABBW and ask legal questions of our resident lawyer...plus there may be other associates there who can help provide answers to some of your questions!

JJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved