The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 158 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#35467 - 09/14/04 10:09 AM Read any good books lately?
stephy Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, California
I've been trying to find a good book to read lately. I just finished reading the extreamly contravrsial "the da vinci code". Trust me, you have to have a really open mind for that. So, now I'm looking for another good book to read. Any suggestions?

#35468 - 09/14/04 04:51 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Stephy,
Do you like mysteries? If so, you might enjoy reading ANYTHING by Stuart Woods. I think (but I'm not sure) that New York Dead is one of his first ones. I've read them all and enjoyed every single book. He has two characters and the inside credits can tell you which character you will be reading about when you choose one of his books. Both characters are private investigators.

One is Stone Barringer (misspelled?)
the other is a woman and right now I can remember her name...Holly??? Can't remember. It's been a while since I've read any of his work but the books are alllllllll good!

JJ

#35469 - 09/14/04 05:20 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Stephy, did you like that book? My duaghter had to read the book he wrote prior to that, Angels and Demons. She really liked it. It depends on the type of books you like to read.

#35470 - 09/15/04 10:00 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
stephy Offline

Well, I really like intellectual book. I do love mysteries and things that have to do with the F.B.I and things like that but that's mainly because I grew up around police officer and because I know Bernard Parks the ex L.A.P.D. chief (spell check). Last years i used to watch alot of things that had to do with the police force. I also read alot of mysterie books. This summer actually I'm going to try to get a job at the West Covina police department. It's mainly voluntary work and things like that. So mysteries are nice but I also like, I dunno how to explain it, I like books that you can have an intellectual conversation about and debates. Mainly because I like to argue with my cousin.

#35471 - 09/17/04 10:12 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
lalapaloosa Offline

Loc: Winters, California
How about C.S. Lewis's "The Great Divorce" or Frank Peretti's "Piercing the Darkness" or "This Present Darkness"? They are really great books. I like C.S.Lewis's sci fi trilogy as well "Out of the Silent Planet" "Perelandra" and "That Hideous Strength". C.S. Lewis's stuff is pretty intellectual and interesting.

#35472 - 09/18/04 04:10 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
My favorite book of all time is, "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings", by Maya Angelou. I can't get enough of it.

I am not a fan of fiction usually, but I have read nearly all Patricia Cornwell's books. You might like her... crime, FBI, morgues... they have it all!

#35473 - 09/24/04 05:23 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I just finished reading The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks. Loved it. I love everything he has written. [Smile]

Any Anita Shreve fans??

Louisa

#35474 - 09/28/04 06:30 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
Lala, I loved Peretti's books, too! They among my list of top favorites, for sure.

Steph, have you read A Beautiful Mind. I haven't finished it yet, but that was really holding my attention.

Right now I'm almost done with Knee Deep in Paradise, the autobiography of Brett Butler, the comedienne. I favor biographies. I also am working on and deeply enjoying Savage Beauty about Edna St. Vincent Milay, one of my all-time favorite poets.

The Brett Butler book keeps me thinking of you, JawJaw, as she was raised in Georgia and is intelligent and witty like yourself.

Others I've read recently include In Lieu of Heaven (very interesting); a book about a young girl's life in a mid-west Japanese-American interment camp during WWII (I think it's called The Broken Thread but I'd have to go check); and Sue Silverman's riveting autobiography, Because I Remember Terror, Father, I Remember You.

I'd also recommend The Rise of the Phoenix by Dawn Rivers Baker, if you like romantic speculative fiction.

Up next on my agenda are the recent purchases of Seabiscuit and In the Absence of Angels by Elizabeth Glaser, who died of AIDS. She was married to the actor Paul Michael Glaser (Starsky & Hutch) and contracted the disease via a blood transfusion following an episode of placenta previa during her first pregnancy. She passed the disease onto their daughter via breast milk, then gave their second child the disease in utero before she ever found out she'd been given tainted blood.

Tragic three ways to China and back again.

She started the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation (EGPAF) which you can support by making purchases through greatergood.com

Their daughter died at age 7. Their son, 20, is still alive.

Oh -- and I want to finish A Beautiful Mind and Savage Beauty. Yup, that oughta hold me for a while between homeschooling, dancing, and finishing my own third novel!! Ha!

PS: for anyone who's thinkin', "Who is this person?" I've been around a while, but lately just hangin' in the diet forums. I guess y'all could say my plate is full in more ways than one!

[ September 27, 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: garrie keyman ]

#35475 - 09/30/04 03:49 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I am just finishing WHISPERS AT MIDNIGHT by Karen Robards, a chilling mystery. And if you want some real writing "how to" info that will have you wetting your bloomers you'll be laughing so hard, [Big Grin] check out:
DAMM! WHY DIDN'T I WRITE THAT? by Marc McCutcheon honest to God this is a hilarious and yet helpful book... [Razz]

#35476 - 10/05/04 02:43 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
I will read anything by Elizabeth Berg. Not very intellectual but very down home. She writes as if she is speaking to you or better, with you.

Can't remember the book, but one of my favorite lines was "If I had known it was the last time he would curl up on my lap, I would have hung on a little bit longer". She was speaking of her 10 year old son who no longer curls up on her lap and we all know that snuggly comfort.

Lynn

#35477 - 10/05/04 05:35 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
Ted Dekker's books are all great. Can't get enough of his writing. Great website, too, too interact with other readers.

Mystery Series:
Dana Stabenow's Kate Shugak Series - Alaskan PI with a pet wolf.

Lee Child's Jack Reacher Series - Very action packed story of an ex Military Policeman who drifts around the world.

Robert Crais's Elvis Cole & Joe Kidd Series - LA Private Detectives with a conscious, except for Joe, who hardly speaks.

Janet Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum books will have you laughing out loud. It's like Lucy and Ethel turn Bounty Hunter.

David Baldacci is another favorite, though for some reason, his last book I couldn't get through.

Just finished Cornwell's "Trace" and thought it was great up until the last chapter. Felt let down, it read like she got bored and tied everything up really fast.

Nevada Barr does a series with Park Ranger Anna Pigeon solving little mysteries. Neat way to learn about the parks.

Christian Fiction Series:
Jan Karon's Mitford series makes me want to move to Blowing Rock. I have read, and re-read this series so many times - anytime I need a pick-me-up.

Perretti's books are great.

Dekker's books fall here, though most read like a thriller.

Left Behind Series - Glorious Appearing was so neat.

Dee Henderson's True series, like True Valor, True Courage - I think these might be a little better than the O'Malley family series, but maybe not.

For true stories, some of the very best are by Torey Hayden, a former special education teacher. One Child, Tiger's Child, Just Another Kid, etc.

Probably would have been easier just to send you to my website: Dian's Favorite Authors

I think I have a reading addiction [Eek!] I just realized. I have over 600 books, and three years ago I gave 300 to the library. Yesterday, I went to the library and bought 10 more books ($3.00 was all, though. Can't pass up a bargain. [Big Grin]

Is there a support group for this? [Confused]

#35478 - 10/05/04 05:34 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Hey Chatty! Did you happen to notice that Marc mentions me in his book three times? [Big Grin] He worked as an agent for a while and was the one who got me published. He stopped doing that because he got a five book deal from his publisher. He's a nice man.

#35479 - 10/05/04 06:03 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dian, I share that addiciton. So many books, so little time...

I'm always trying to figure out when I can squeeze in a few minutes here and there to read. [Wink]

#35480 - 10/06/04 12:41 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Saturday, Iwent to a book sale at a local library. I was just plucking those books off the shelf so fast. I was all excited over the fact that I found Flirting With Pete in hardcover for $1. After carrying it around for a while, I realized I already had it at home. I read it a while ago. [Roll Eyes]
Louisa

#35481 - 10/06/04 01:06 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
chickadee Offline

The computer age has definitely put a dent in my book reading.

If I could go online,buy my book, read it on screen,and "book mark" it to read when I wanted to,I would do that.

The time will come I'm sure.

I spend a lot of time researching things that I am curious about.I like the instant results the internet gives.

I still find time to read books, just not as much as I used to.

Real life poetry,stories,people who made major "changes in life" are my favorites.

#35482 - 10/06/04 08:15 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
I read Angels and Demons, and the Divinchy Code. Both were spellbinding and hard to put down. Don't know if I believe it all, but it was a great read. Read Angels and Demons first tho. Hope he will write another.

#35483 - 10/06/04 09:59 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dian Offline

Chickadee: Microsoft Reader (free software) lets you download books (cheap), read, highlight, and it keeps your place for you. The books are usually less than $6.00.

You can buy the eBooks from Amazon and other popular sites.

Microsoft Reader click the link to get the reader, then visit the bookstores. There are even some $1.00 reads, and a few for free.

#35484 - 10/11/04 04:07 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Swimbo, my daughter read Angels and Demons for school this summer. SHe liked it too. The book is in the house so I should read it, but I have a list of other books to hit first.

I just finished Watercolor Bedroom: Creating a Soulful Midlife, by Daphne Stevens, Ph.D. She's in our forums. I highly recommend it and will post about it separately.

I'm also finishing a study of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. Great book and study for women who do too much and need to take tome to center with God.

Let's see, what else? I started Networking Magic and so far, so good. Tends to be a quick read packed with excellent information.I'll post about that too.

I began Midlife Clarity, another book by one of our local boomers. Lots of stories about women defining themselves at mid-life. Very inspirational. Never too late to follow your dreams!

I'm starting The Notebook this week For our BWS Book Club.

So many books, so little time.

#35485 - 10/13/04 06:45 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I just started THE SURVIVORS CLUB by Lisa Gardner. Looks pretty good but will reserve judgement until I've read more of it. [Smile]

#35486 - 10/16/04 07:44 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I just finished a book by Elizabeth Berg, "What We Keep" (I think that was the name of it??? And have started Everyday Grace by Marianne Williamson. I'm also reading The Well-Fed Writer, Back Again...

Oh and just found out today that Rick Bragg is gonna be in my hometown (about 10 minutes away from my house) on Oct 29th. It will be a luncheon/talk thingy and a girlfriend and I are going. Yahoooo....I'm taking "All Over But the Shoutin'" in hopes of getting it autographed.

JJ

#35487 - 10/16/04 04:59 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Georgia, give him a hug from the boomers.

I'd love to see him and tell him to stop doubting his past. For gosh sakes, it's his history that shaped him into the person he is today, and he's one awesome person! His writing is so touching. You can tell how much love he has in him by the way he captures the people he writes about.

Hey queen, he's still single, isn't he? Hmmm....Matchmaker, matchmaker... [Razz] [Eek!]

#35488 - 10/17/04 01:11 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dianne, no I didn't notice but its right here on my desk and now that I know you, I'll read it over again to see where. I am reading a book my dinner guest brought for me today called:
Susanne's Diary for Nicholasit's by James Patterson a best selling Author many times over. The title is not impressive but its a love story you can't put down.... [Smile]

#35489 - 10/18/04 12:33 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
stephy Offline

I'm reading Macbeth right now and Business law but that's more for school than for fun. But it actually is fun.

#35490 - 10/22/04 10:34 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Ellie Offline

Loc: Towson
Reading Sams Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson - can't put it down - easy short and a neat story!! Nothing like all his other books except one other one not sure of title something about Nicholas.

#35491 - 10/26/04 11:04 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Elsielc Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
I'm reading "The Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy. Much deeper and more dark than the movie.

Baldacci is also one of my favorites. Ann Rule with her true-life crimes, and Ann Rice with the vampires. Anita Shreve too.

Read a lot of biographies, particularly political or business. Am trying to collect a biography on each of the Presidents and the First Ladies.

I like to read the entire collection of an author at one time. You can get the rythm (how do you spell that word??) of their writing and many seem to have reoccurring characters. My next author is Anne Tyler.

#35492 - 10/27/04 01:15 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Elsielc,
I love to read Ann Rule...Talk about an author who puts you there...she does!

JJ

#35493 - 10/27/04 01:53 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Elsie,Jj,
I love, Ann Rule, biographies and have read most of the first ladies since Jackie Kennedy. Its been interesting to see their view. Also love Ann Shreve's books.
Maggie

#35494 - 10/28/04 02:35 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Anything by Alexandra Stoddard -Things I Want My Daughters to Know-, Jan Karon, -the Mitford series-, or Jeanine McMullen who wrote Wind in the Ash Trees and My Small Country Living.

Every year I re-read at least one of each woman's books. They are simply delightful and charming. I read them and believe all is right with the world.

#35495 - 11/02/04 11:04 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I'm savouring the collected short stories of Carol Shields. Highly recommended.

#35496 - 11/02/04 01:37 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
I'm a big fan of Jonathan and Faye Kellerman...talk about books you can't put down! Also am reading Prill's WONDERFUL book "Defying Gravity". SO MANY BOOKS - NEVER ENOUGH TIME!

#35497 - 11/03/04 08:09 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Pam, I finished Prill's book. It was wonderful. What an inspiration.

I think her next book needs more of HER in it. She was so real! Enjoy it...

#35498 - 11/03/04 08:34 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Queen Me Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
Prill's "Defying Gravity"

I loved it.

#35499 - 11/05/04 06:45 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

You have to read Prill's book if you're a mid-life and considering what you're going to do with the rest of your life. The women in her book will inspire you to go for your dream! [Big Grin]

#35500 - 11/06/04 02:41 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Pam Kimmell Offline

I loved ALL the stories in "Defying Gravity", but my favorite was Maureen's. I just find stories of successful people uplifting and inspiring - PERIOD. It's easy to just sit in the boat of life and allow the current to pull you along; but grabbing hold of an oar and trying to head upstream against the current - now THAT'S really living! [Wink] [Wink]

#35501 - 11/06/04 06:55 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Very well said, Pam!

#35502 - 11/11/04 03:51 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Misfire Offline

Has anybody read Eats Shoots, and Leaves ?

I heard so much about it and couldn't wait to get my hands on it. What a disappointment! Every once and awhile I laugh at something in the book but most of the time I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open.

#35503 - 11/14/04 07:02 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I was t a writer's conference yesterday and an editor from Gotham/ Penguin was there. He metioned this book as being Gotham's big hit. I'm going to look for it and learn more next time I'm at BN. Did you get through it? Did it get any better?

#35504 - 11/15/04 08:59 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Pam Kimmell Offline

I just finished reading P.M. Terrell's "Kickback". Lots of great suspense and for a first book, this was REALLY well written. I met Patricia at the book-signing I went to in October - in fact we shared a table. She had a LOT of "fans" come by who had read her books. She was selling both "Kickback" and "The China Conspiracy" (which I have but haven't read yet). I recommend "Kickback" though!

Also finished reading a collection of Southern short stories by another good friend, Janet Brice Parker, who self-published her book - it's called "The Ivy Stays Green". I found her stories poignant and well crafted.

Both P.M. Terrell's and Janet Parker's are available through links on my "Buy Books" page on my website.

#35505 - 11/27/04 11:09 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I finished reading Lisa Gardner's THE KILLING HOUR. What a story. It's a suspense/police procedural. Lot's of FBI working in it. I've never read her before and she's hooked me. I'll keep her books on my wish list.

I read Patricia Cornwell's BLOW FLY a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't up to her usual greatness. I hope it was just a one time thing. I'll read TRACE when it comes out in paperback.

Another new author I'm going to try is Cait London. Anyone ever read anything of hers? Not the romance stuff, but the mystery/suspense?

And, of course I've been reading Carolyn Howard-Johnson's THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER. She's our featured author this month. What a great reference book full of helpful information about promoting your book.

#35506 - 11/28/04 12:33 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dian Offline

Oooh, I got to read Killing Hour - sounds good! I have Carolyn's book on my wish-list.

Just finished all the Lee Child books featuring an ex-MP Jack Reacher.

Last week, I read a couple Kathy Reichs books (she is an anthropologist and works in both Canada and North Carolina like her heroine, studying bones to solve crimes).

And two books I received to review were good - Vanished by Ward Tanneburg and Firestorm by Jeanette Windle. They are both thrillers and 2nd in series. They are considered Christian fiction, but I think anyone would enjoy them who likes thrillers. The characters are Christians in the midst of dealing with terrorists, DEA, and more. Very well done.

#35507 - 11/28/04 02:00 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I support new writers by buying and reading them. I read Christine Colliers The Writers Club, it was great and now she has 2 or 3 more all can be found on Amazon, check by her name. Its a Mystery series and really good...Right now I am almost done with another really great book called The Mystery of Davids Bridge, sound familiar? It should it's written by our very own Pamela June Kimmell. This lady can write!!! Read these two Authors when time allows, you'll be glad you did. I write reviews for one of the toughest no nonsense schools of writing out there and I know good when I see it. Plus I [Big Grin] have always been an avid reader my entire life....

#35508 - 11/28/04 03:51 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Misfire Offline

Dotsie,

I did finish reading Eats Shoots, and Leaves. It was worth reading but I'm glad that I didn't buy it.

BTW, I "traveled" to the Towson Curves on Friday because the Cockeysville one was closed. I saw the Towson Times article up on the bulletin board. So, you're a Curves lady too. [Razz]

Misfire

#35509 - 11/28/04 04:17 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Misfire, you were at the Towson Curves? We must plan a meeting. I'm there 3-4 times a week. It's a life-line! [Big Grin] I see newhope there some mornings. [Big Grin]

The gal who owns that one is a dear. Her business is doing so well because she hires all the right women. How did it compare to the Cockeysville Curves?

This is exciting...

#35510 - 11/28/04 06:02 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thanks for the comment on "Mystery of David's Bridge" Chatty. Can't tell you how happy I am that you are enjoying the book. Coming from someone who's an avid reader and involved in the "reviewing" world, it means a lot to hear that you think I'm on the right track! [Wink] [Wink]

I finished "The China Conspiracy" last night. P.M. Terrell's second novel. Very interesting plotline.....

There are soooooooooooooo many good books out there. I find myself torn between writing my OWN novel and reading everyone else's!!

#35511 - 11/29/04 03:48 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Pam my advice is to write, Write, WRite, WRIte, WRITe and then WRITE somemore....You are so talented!! [Razz] [Wink] [Big Grin]

#35512 - 11/29/04 02:16 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Aw shucks! All this encouragement just might get me over my current bout of Writers Block! Thanks again Chatty....YOU DA BOMB. It's nice to have fans like you. [Wink] [Wink] [Cool]

#35513 - 11/29/04 05:23 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Isn't it amazing what a little encouragement can do. And Chatty is the champion of it. Furthermore, she's RIGHT!
smile

#35514 - 11/30/04 12:14 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thank you Smile! I feel the creative juices flowing already with this encouragement from you ladies. [Razz]

#35515 - 11/30/04 06:55 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
angelsmuse Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Pam,
Where can I get my hands on your book? I belong to a local book club and have to give my selection for next year, sometime next week. I like to chose books by writers that I know and would like to use yours if you don't mind.

Also I have read all four of Christine Collier's books and enjoyed all of them immensely. I would highly recommend them if anyone is looking for a fast easy read with some mystery and romance thrown in. They are the best for curling up under a quilt by a fire place with your choice of hot beverage and reading.

Chris(angel) [Big Grin]

#35516 - 11/30/04 02:05 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Chris! My book is available online at all bookstore websites like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, BooksAMillion, etc. OR, if you prefer, you can go to your nearest bookseller and give them the ISBN # and ask them to order it for you. ISBN is 1591330629

I'm writing a series with the same characters in each book so this first book sets the stage for the sequel which I'm writing now.

I'd be honored if your book club chose to read my book! Thanks for thinking of it as a possibility.

[Wink]

#35517 - 12/04/04 03:51 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Maybe this is a late reply, but I am reading lots of books , but my favorite is "Margot Fonteyn ", by Meredith Daneman. Many years ago I saw her dance her in Baltimore at one the the theater . It was a wonderful privlage to see her dance . At the time I was studying Ballet also.

I have lots of books and love to read also.

Just some thoughts.

Nancy

#35518 - 12/20/04 05:43 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Cagedbird Offline

Loc: usa
I enjoyed, "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham. I read it in a day. A good short read [Cool]
Nancy, received my poetry book she ordered from me, "Enter Eve's Poetic Paradise." Hopefully she can give us a review! It is SOLD OUT now.
No more book signings the rest of the year, whew!

#35519 - 12/21/04 02:56 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I have all of Christine Colliers books too and loved them and ladies they are all about women writers, funny and scary and very entertaining as well. Look for them. Of course I have a signed copy of Pams book and I am recommending it to my writers group for a next good read and discussion. Four of my favorite series books were written by Mary Freeman my teacher at The Long Ridge Writers chool they are Garden mysteries and fantastic reads. I make it a point to buy and read books by new author and especially ones I know trying to get started. I hope others will do that for me one day. [Wink]

#35520 - 01/03/05 05:41 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
jenniemouse Offline

Loc: California
I always like to have a book close at hand, and have a LARGE pile of books to be read!

The one I'm reading right now is "Destined to Witness" by Hans J. Massaquoi, the true story of his childhood and adolescence in Nazi Germany. What makes Massaquoi's story different is that he had a German mother and a Liberian father (his father left Germany soon after he was born), and faced prejudice and legal sanctions because of his obvious non-Aryan appearance. It's a remarkable story of survival. I'm two-thirds finished with the book.

#35521 - 02/03/05 11:28 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Sigrid Macdonald Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Hello, I'm reading A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews and it's excellent - funny, poignant and compelling. Also reading Time Traveler's Wife. I had trouble getting into it but I like it a lot now. Sigrid, fiction fan :-)

#35522 - 02/04/05 08:43 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
If you want a relaxing and funny read, any of Catherine Todd's books are wonderful. She's a riot.

#35523 - 02/03/05 09:06 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I love seeing what others are reading. Thanks for sharing.

I'm reading Lynn's book, After The Tears. It's quite a read. It's listed on the Boomer Books page of this site. She shares intimately from the heart about her abusive childhood and passage through healing. What an admirable woman full of courage and determination. I'm half way through and can't wait to get back to it. I've been taking in by her writing style. I feel like I'm present with her. I'm just loving getting to know her better. It's so much fun reading books written by friends!

#35524 - 02/06/05 05:00 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
unique Offline

Books, books, beautiful books!!
Just finished Flashpoint - Suzanne Brockmann. I love a chick who can write that awesome action adventure. Also appreciated her comment in the acknowledgement section, " When I write fiction, I can't read fiction....because I'm one of those readers who, when I start a good book, can't put the darn thing down until I reach the end." well, she sure nailed that one!
Just started Vein of Gold - Julia Cameron. This book may be of interest to a lot of us here in the forum. Note the following excerpts: "The Vein of Gold is a book of healing and rehabilitation. 'I've found you, but you've been beaten, battered, starved, malnourished, neglected, discounted, and disowned. I must restore you to health so we can have our adventures...' and 'Creative recovery is not an intellectual process. Our adult self merely "understands" a wound. Our creative artist, that inner creative child, must actually heal it.'" She is speaking of our creative processes as writers, artists, or craftsmen.
Also rereading Behind the Stories-Dian Eble. I love to read how the faith of these authors helped them in their writing careers.
I also started All I Did Was Ask- Terry Gross. Terry is the host of Fresh Air on Public Radio. This is a collection of some of her interviews with writers, artists, actors, and musicians.
[Smile] I wish I had a nickel for every book I've read. I'd be a Quad*zillion*aire !! [Wink]

#35525 - 02/06/05 07:25 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Looking Up Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I just finished reading Your Best Life Now by Joel Osteen. A great book! I highly recommend it.

#35526 - 02/07/05 05:21 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Sadie Offline

I love Evelyn Halls Poem book . I read a poem at night before I go to bed and they relax me a lot . It is a must buy. I highly recommend her book. Please buy .

thank you Evelyn Hall and write more poems for all of us. to enjoy! Please!

#35527 - 02/07/05 06:55 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Cagedbird Offline

Thanks, Nancy. I had a reading & signing near Macon this weekend. It was great! I am invited back for National Poetry Month, in April.

I read most of the poems you have in your collector's copy.:)Since it is, Black History Month, they loved the poem, "SO MUCH HATE" (last page in your book) If anyone would like a copy of this poem, e-mail me and I will send it to them.)
They put my picture & the poem in their newspaper and gave me a copy of it.

I did a question & anwer, and had a lot of small prizes that I used for my drawings.
I ALWAYS GIVE OUT A POEM, 2 everyone in attendance, with my e-mail and website addr. on them. (Trying 2 share pointers) The ladies are great about sharing over here, thanks, EVERYONE!
We had punch and finger foods.
The funny part, when I checked in the hotel, the staff gave me a copy of the newspaer I was in, and I sold 5 books b4 I even got to the poetry event! I was soooooo happy, I went to Bible services in that city b4 I headed back 2 Atlanta.
I will try 2 send Dotsie the flyer.
I have a big reading & signing this weekend at the "Goodwill Book Sale" the biggest Book Sale Event in Atlanta! I was HAPPY 2 be invited!
They usually book BIG names like, Pearl Cleage.
Also, I saw Pam, JJ & Prill's pictures over at BOOKEMS with mone. LOVELY BOOMER WOMEN, oh my!!!
Check US out, if you haven't already.
Nancy, YOU help ME to keep sharing over here;-)
You gotta order my children's poetry book, NOW b4 it sells out!!!!
Look 4ward to meeting you ladies, OUT!

#35528 - 02/07/05 11:14 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Caged, you must work non-stop at promotion. Maybe your next book should be about book promotion. You have more book signings than anyone I know.

#35529 - 02/08/05 01:41 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Cagedbird Offline

Dotsie, you are absolutely right!
I make sure I invite other author's along with me. I met this one new author online and invited her to come with me. It was her 1st book signing.
She couldn't believe I asked her, without knowing her. We clicked just fine. She could be my daughter.
We traded books and she sold 4 books.
She couldn't believe that I sold so many books, but I have more than just one book:)
I can ONLY write about what I love, DONTAY, my grandbaby! Thanks again 4 this forum, Dotsie.
They invited her back in April.

#35530 - 02/12/05 01:14 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dannye Offline

Loc: Prophetstown, IL
quote:
Originally posted by stephy:
I've been trying to find a good book to read lately.... Any suggestions?"

I went on a book reading binge the last month. Among them was a second book by Darian North called Bone Deep. His first book was Criminal Seduction. They were both excellent mysteries. Complex plots, but I like complex.
Dannye

#35531 - 04/08/05 02:26 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dannye Offline

I have been reading a series of books by Diana Gabaldon. The first in the series is titled "Outlander". It crosses genres,[bless her courage!] I have great respect for her writing ability. I do not usually read romantic fiction, but this crosses the genres of historical fiction and science fiction as well.

It has been a long time since I have run across anyone who has the ability to develop all the characters as well as she does, especially when the stories take place over a long period of time, and the character changes due to aging and experience. Her attention to historical detail as she weaves the story is incredible because it is never boring. I say this as a reader who bores easily when a writer spends too much time filling in the background rather than making it come alive as part of the story the characters are living.

I am on the fourth in the series, and I am still interested in every page.

#35532 - 04/08/05 06:32 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Katrinka Offline

Loc: Central Pennsylvania
quote:
Originally posted by lynn:
I will read anything by Elizabeth Berg. Not very intellectual but very down home. She writes as if she is speaking to you or better, with you.

Lynn

Lynn, I love her books. I usually favor thicker books, but her books are still wonderful. Hope you can remember the name of the book.

Marie

#35533 - 04/09/05 02:17 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dannye Offline

Marie,
I'm not familiar with Eliz. Berg, but if you like thick books, you would like GAbaldon. Her books are anywhere from 600 to 1000 pages!
Dannye

#35534 - 04/09/05 08:57 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Nora Roberts' "Three Sisters Trilogy"; A. Manette Ansay, "Vinegar Hill"; and Philip Yancey, "Where Is God When It Hurts?": Enjoyed these books! [Razz]

#35535 - 04/10/05 03:28 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
unique Offline

Three Sisters was great, wasn't it? Have you read any of Nora Roberts 'sci-fi' type 'in the future books'? I think she writes them under a different name...they're pretty good, too.

#35536 - 04/11/05 06:16 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I read like a crazy woman. I usually have a few going at once. I like to read about spirituality, women's issues, teens, and writing. I also throw in a fun fiction book every now and then.

Anyone read Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons? I am going to sneak that one in amidst all the books I'm reading for future featured authors.

#35537 - 04/12/05 02:14 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

LIGHT IN SHADOW by Jayne Ann Krentz is a very good read. Jane is called on of the hottest romance writers today by USA Today and master of her craft by The Seattle Times, saying shes back with her most imagnative, fast paced story yet.. This is a tricky tale of secret identies, double crosses, and passion between two people who in a perfect world, would never have met.... [Cool]

#35538 - 04/13/05 04:11 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Beyond the Tears: A True Survivor's Story by Lynn C. Tolson is a MUST read! See more on the Featured Author forum. (shameless, shameless, shameless, and obnoxious)

#35539 - 04/13/05 04:23 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Go Lynnnnn, Go Lynnnn...I'm all for you rooting you on! In fact, I'll second the MUST READ part, although my copy still isn't here yet. I can't wait to read Beyond the Tears, but will have to contain myself for another week.

In the meantime I'm reading "The Secret Life of Bees", by Sue Monk Kid. It's kind of timely, seeing that I'm working on that 4-years-belated-memorial for my Mom and missing her terribly as we get closer to Mother's Day.

#35540 - 04/13/05 11:10 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, I absolutely loved that book. Wow, I felt the bonds between the women as I turned the pages. Her characters were unique, and very wise!

I also felt for the young boy and gal who were different races. Wasn't that sad?

#35541 - 04/14/05 12:02 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Princess Lenora Offline

Dear Eagle, I'm sorry you are missing your mother so terribly. You know, Mother's Day is conflicting for many of us. It sounds like you are doing a good thing with the memorial. Love and Light, Lynn

#35542 - 06/05/05 04:18 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
unique Offline

Hiya Ladies! A new member asked about this thread....so what's on our kitchen tables, night stands, coffee tables, ...., for our summer reading? I'm reading Laurie King's - The Game.
Sherlock Holmes and his wife in the late 1800's - early 1900's in India and Tibet. Intrigue, who done it, and a good dose of history. (The 'gee, I didn't know that!' kind.) HAPPY READING!!!

#35543 - 06/05/05 06:43 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I always have a few books going at once. I'm reading:
Jesus and Nonviolence
Book Marketing from A-Z
Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
Write Publish and Market Your Book
The Bible, book of Matthew

Do you buy books online or at the book stores? Do you use your local library?

#35544 - 06/07/05 04:20 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'm reading Jawjaw's new book, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne; and Cosmic Brownies, edited by Pam Kimmell.

#35545 - 06/07/05 04:26 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Eagle Heart Offline

I just finished reading Lynn Tolson's awesome book "Beyond the Tears" and Pamela Kimmell's "Mystery of David's Bridge", which left me eagerly awaiting her next "Bailey" installment.

I'm now on the first page of "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger, but I'll probably switch to JJ's "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Throne", since it just arrived in my mailbox today.

#35546 - 05/11/08 08:26 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Eagle Heart]
Cookie Offline

Loc: USA
Right now I am reading "The last Time I was Me" by Cathy Lamb. She also wrote "Julia's Chocolates", which I enjoyed. Last week I read "Olive Kitteridge", by Elizabeth Strout. I waiting for the current Savannah Reid Mysteries by G.A.McKevett to arrive at my door. I find the Savannah Reid Mysteries an amusing and fun read. Also, I'm looking forward to read the latest book by Rick Bragg, "The Prince of Frog Town".

#35547 - 05/11/08 10:44 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Cookie]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Loc: Sanford, Florida
Just finished Jodi Picoult's "Change of Heart" -- very thought provoking book. I've read all her books.

Now I'm starting Stephen King's "Cell". Haven't read any of his books for a long time, but a friend gave me this one so I thought I'd read it - something a little different (for me) for a change.

#35548 - 05/11/08 11:25 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Cookie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Eagle, look when you wrote that post about TEARS! It's been nearly 2 years. Cookie brought this thread forward again. Cookie, what kind of books are these, esp. the ones by Cathy Lamb?

#35549 - 05/12/08 01:10 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Sadie Offline

Yes, I am reading "The Last Lecture" By Randy Pausch and very sad , but inpiring book . If anyone has seen his story or about his life . He has cancer and not much longer to live . This book is not about dieing but how to live a better life . It is about 205 page book and a must read .

Some more thoughts ,

Renee

#35550 - 05/12/08 03:24 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Sadie]
gims Offline

I'm currently finishing up 'Faking It' by Miller. Difficult read, but am so enjoying.

I'm not starting any others until my daughter and I get through the one she wants us to read together.

#35551 - 05/12/08 08:08 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: gims]
Mountain Ash Offline

So many book that I have loved but may I add this.
Fanny Flag..
Welcome to the world baby girl

This book interested me..left me saddened by the race discrimination which was a shocking testimony of bad old days.
I would like to see the book made into a film but is the world ready for this?
Mountain ash

#35552 - 05/12/08 12:14 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Cookie Offline

PL, all the books that I mentioned are fiction. But I think Rick Bragg's book is the third book of his memoir(non-fiction). I love books!

#35553 - 05/12/08 12:58 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Cookie]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

CrosstitchQ, did you read My Sister's Keeper, Jodi Picoult? I enjoyed that one.

Dierdre Purcell, who wrote Tell Me Your Secrets, is another writer I have enjoyed.

I've read all of Rick Bragg's books except this last one. I enjoy them, but he isn't one of my fav's.

Fannie Flagg is great. Such talent. I'm so jealous of her gift for writing!

#35554 - 05/12/08 01:24 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

Well, I don't know how intellectual they are, but I read
Marley and Me; Eat, Pray and Love; A Memorir of the Craft;
Reduce Me to Love; Stolen Innocence; Vinegar Hill; The Trip Beyond; A Touch of His Peace; Living History; Angela's Ashes;'Tis; Mother of Pearl; and Where Is God When It Hurts.

Edited by jabber (05/12/08 01:25 PM)

#35555 - 05/12/08 02:58 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: jabber]
Eagle Heart Offline

I just finished "The Alchemist" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I'm reading "When the Heart Waits" by Sue Monk Kidd, and Mitch Albom's "Tuesdays with Morrie".

Now that the new Narnia movie "Prince Caspian" is coming out, I'll probably read the entire series again. That's the good thing about a bad memory, even though I've read the Narnia books upteen times, when I read them again, it's as new and exciting as the first time!

Lynn, how quickly time flies. I still think your book is awesome and a must-read. And I still miss my Mom terribly. But I never did finish that other book, "The Time Traveler".

(Maya Angelou)

#35556 - 05/12/08 03:02 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Eagle Heart]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Jabber, who says it has to be intellectual? I think one should read what one enjoys. Truly! I even have friends who read that Sc-fi junk! LOL!

Eagle, do you absolutely LOVE Tuesdays with Morrie or what? What a great book. I've been disappointed in Sue Monk Kidd but everyone else seems to love her. So it's probably me.

Mom suggested a book, The Prisoner of Birth, by Jeffrey Archer but the library has a 28-day waiting list for that one...so it must be good.

I tried to get the No More Mondays someone suggested but there is a 14-day waiting list for that one! Wow...

#35557 - 05/12/08 09:20 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: jawjaw]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Eagle, as you know, I've read those same three books you mentioned. I recommend all of them.

JJ, this book of Sue's is non-fiction. It has been life-changing for many midlife women. I read it a few years ago with my prayer group, then read it again in a class I took at The Well last month. Liked it just as much the second time around.

#35558 - 05/13/08 12:45 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
Princess Lenora Offline

Wow, I will never need to wonder what to read again. I am reading a memoir (what else is new?) "Driving with Dead People" by Monica Holloway. There is plenty of fiction I like. "A Thousand Acres" by Jane Smiley. "Black and Blue" by Anna Quinlan. I need to read some of your suggestions! Thanks girls!

#35559 - 05/13/08 01:39 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Reading Lake Wobegon by Garrison Keillor.

#35560 - 05/15/08 01:37 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: jawjaw]
jabber Offline

JJ,
Stephy mentioned "intellectual" way back at the beginning of this thread: That's why the reference. Since, the only smart thing I ever did in my life, was to marry my 2nd husband, I wasn't sure I should respond in discussion on books. I should've said, "I enjoy reading Nora Roberts' work."

#35561 - 05/15/08 03:11 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: jabber]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh I know...but it doesn't have to be. I love Nora Roberts, too...If you want a cute and fun book to read, try Savannah Breeze. It is a fun book and so funny.

Also, I cannot recommend "My Favorite Midlife Crisis, Yet" by Toby Devens, enough. I loved this book! She has another one coming out soon and I can't wait. I could relate to the main character so much, maybe that is why I loved it so much? Nah...she's a good writer...

#35562 - 05/15/08 09:00 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: jawjaw]
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I have no time to read and really miss it too. I am hoping that when the book TORY'S SECRETS arrives in the book stores, you will all read it. I think it would be a marvelous read for the BWS book club. In all my many years of reading and writing this is the best book, bar none, I have ever seen or been a part of.

Edited by chatty lady (05/15/08 09:01 PM)

http://charleen-micheles.blogspot.com/

#35563 - 05/27/08 02:38 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: chatty lady]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loved My Favorite Midlife Crisis Yet. I recommended it for the BWS book club. Maybe next time. Many of us could relate to many of the story lines in that book.

#35564 - 05/27/08 10:15 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

It is one of my favorites as well, Dots. I too recommended it...it is a fun book to read.

#35565 - 05/28/08 01:54 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: jawjaw]
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I just finished reading "The Informant." They were filming the movie with Matt Damon here and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. They were filming a street scene a block from my house, went down to watch and it was a hoot! No Matt Damon tho.
www.christianstoryteller.com

#35566 - 05/28/08 06:30 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Sherri]
humlan Offline

Loc: Sweden
What a great thread!!!! Love my books!!!! Love to read!! I haven´t read thru the entire thread..so I am not sure that these authors were mentioned..but I love them anyway..Elisabeth George; Stephen Booth: Harlan Coben; and Jeffrey Deaver..all detective story or mystery writers. Then there´s Martha Cole and her absolutely GREAT stories of an Irish family with a STRONG woman at it´s head. Cole has written quite a few thick books about this family..and I am jealous of anyone that hasn´t read her yet..you have the great joy of reading them in your future!!!

#35567 - 06/02/08 10:55 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: humlan]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I just finished a good book that was written by my neighbor. It's called Bringing Home Vincent. It's about a woman whose son was burned in Viet Nam and how she, her family, and son live through the trial. It includes lots of nostalgia about the changing times of the 60s. It was a great, quick read. The author is actually coming to our book club meeting when we discuss it. I can't wait.

#35568 - 06/02/08 08:41 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: humlan]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Does anyone read Jodi Picoult?

Her book, THE TENTH CIRCLE has been made into a movie and is going to be on Lifetime, Saturday, June 28th at 9 pm
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#35569 - 06/03/08 02:10 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I haven't read any of her books, but only because I just haven't gotten around to it.

#35570 - 06/04/08 09:26 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Vicki, I've read two of her books (Jodi Picoult) and loved them. She is an amazing writer, if you ask me.

#35571 - 06/04/08 10:43 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: jawjaw]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

I've read all of Jodi Picoult's books. I'll be looking for her next one! Two of my friends are big Picoult fans too and we share. I enjoyed some more than others but they are all guaranteed to make you think.

Speaking of books, I'm really bummed. We've been buying and selling books back to a great used book store in our area, and it just closed up with no warning. I discovered this when I had a box full of books to trade in, in the trunk of my car! Am now researching other similar stores in the area, but this place was the best -- it was always like going to see an old friend.

Right now I'm reading Bungalow 2 by Danielle Steel. Over the years I've read all her books.........I like them when I don't want to read anything really heavy. I'm recovering from knee surgery right now and didn't want to get into anything I'd really have to concentrate on.

#35572 - 06/04/08 12:49 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Oh girl! I didn't know you had surgery. Bless your heart! I hope you are doing well? God's speed on your recovery. I'll mention another writer, Deirdre Purcell, an Irish writer. The one I read was Tell Me Your Secrets. I really enjoyed it.

#35573 - 06/06/08 06:25 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: jawjaw]
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Anyone read Jane Porter? Flirting with Forty, Odd Mom Out?
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog

#35574 - 06/06/08 09:33 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Vicki M. Taylor]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Never heard of them...can you recommend them?

#35575 - 06/07/08 02:29 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: jawjaw]
Dee Offline

For Mother's day my son, Ray, bought me an ipod and sent me two memory sticks that held all 7 Harry Potter audio book. Ray and I are huge Harry Potter fans. Now when I'm quilting or gardening or doing housework, I just pop in my headphones and listen to the books. I enjoy that so much. Has anyone else found themselves listening to book instead of reading them? I find I get sleep when I read and this is a way of keep my attention longer. What will they think of next?

#35576 - 07/03/08 07:05 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: chickadee]
gims Offline

Finished Snow Flower and The Secret Fan today, while waiting to have my care inspected. It is by the author Anno recommended, Lisa See, and this title was the only one of her books that our library has. I found myself written into the storyline in several places. One of the only fiction books I've ever made notes in... I might try another of her books, sometime.

#35577 - 07/03/08 07:53 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: gims]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

gims, speaking of findign yoruself written into the sotryline, I recently read a book that was so reminiscent of Mom in the 60s. Bringing Vincent Home took me back to the good old days. One of the main characters reminded me so much of my mom and her dedication to her family, I had a hard time putting it down. The writer took me back to my old neighborhood like it was yesterday. I just love it when they can do that.

I hope you're speaking of ahveing your car inspected and not your care. Scared me for a minute.

Here's a link to the book gims was talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Snow-Flower-Secret...5730&sr=8-1

And here's a link to the one I was talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Bringing-Vincent-H...5806&sr=8-1

#35578 - 07/05/08 12:38 AM Re: Read any good books lately?
gims Offline

I'm gonna see if our library has that one... it does sound good. I think I could grow to like reading memoirs.

#35579 - 07/05/08 07:00 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: gims]
Sandpiper Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
I just finished reading "The Mermaid Chair" and it was so great. I absolutely loved it. I was, though, somewhat not in love with the ending. She didn't seem to be much better in her life with hubby after all she went through.

I liked that she rather found herself through all of this and put herself first.

Well put together book and story that kept ny interest.
www.tidedancer.com

#35580 - 07/05/08 10:23 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Sandpiper]
Cookie Offline

Have any of you read Eckhart Tolle's Book, A New Earth? I am reading it for the second time. I also have downloaded the live discussions from the Oprah website and have listened to them too. I have found both to be food for thought.

Someone mentioned reading the "Memory Keeper's Daughter". I have read that also, and thought it was very good book! Sandpiper, I liked the "Mermaid Chair too", but I didn't like her (Sue Monk's) other book, "Secret Life of Bees". Next on my list is Lisa Wingate's latest book, "A Month Of Summer" and Christina Schwarz's book, "So Long at the Fair"

#35581 - 07/05/08 10:28 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Cookie]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

cookie, I'm reading A New Earth right now. It's not a light read. It's taking me some time to get through it, but I'm enjoying it and thinking lots while reading along. A lot to take in.

I love Secret Life of Bees. What didn't you like about it? Just wondering...

#35582 - 07/05/08 10:55 PM Re: Read any good books lately?
Cookie Offline

Dotsie, it has been along time since I have read Secret Life With Bee's, but I remember that I couldn't get into the book for whatever reason. I read it in between other books just so I could finish it.

#35583 - 07/06/08 01:11 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: gims]
Princess Lenora Offline

I am popping in here to say hi. I picked a thread at random! It seems like I need to make a list. How are you all doing? I can't wait to catch up with you all. Been thinking about you everyday. Dotsie, I love the fresh look of the home page! I'll be back, L, PL

#35584 - 07/25/08 02:30 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Princess Lenora Offline

Hey, what happened here. Did I kill the thread, or what?
I am reading Song of Saigon, about a woman who was a girl during the Vietnam War, and what it was like for her and her family to escape. I never even gave that a thought. But I am learning a lot about the culture, and the hardships for the very citizens of that country during war. I am also reading Today's Parallel Bible in 4 versions. Very new to me. And I'm reading somebody elses' manuscript. Oh, and I'm still reading Eat, Pray, Love. How about you all?

#35585 - 07/25/08 11:33 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Princess Lenora]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

I just finished Jodi Picoult's "Perfect Match" the other day (I thought I had read every one of her books, but discovered somehow I'd missed this one). I started Robin Pilcher's "Starburst" yesterday. I always liked his mom's books (Rosamunde Pilcher) and am finding I like his books, also.

#35586 - 07/25/08 11:42 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I'm almost finished with The Grizzly Maze by Nick Jans. It's an account of Timothy Treadwell's live (short one) where he lived among the grizzly bears and ultimately, was eaten by them. Good Lord...that man was crazy.

#35587 - 07/25/08 11:43 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Anno Offline

Loc: Minneapolis Minnesota
I am on a book respite for a few weeks. I just placed an order on Amazon, tho, intending to purchase only one or two books, and ending up spending enough to purchase groceries for at least a week.

On my list, Like Water for Elephants, the latest Kingsolver book having to do with food (can't remember the name), and my 2nd copy of Three Cups of Tea.

CSQ, I love your new avitar. It took me a few minutes to figure out who you were!

PL, thanks for bringing this back up. How are you?

http://www.multiplesystematrophyandshy-drager.blogspot.com

#35588 - 07/25/08 12:19 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Anno]
CrosstitchQueen Offline

Hey Anno -- thanks for he compliment on the avatar. Been wanting to post one for a while, but I don't have any pics of me that I like (who does?!?) Put that one together on photobucket and I've gotta tell ya........it looks so much like the real me, it's scary!!

#35589 - 07/25/08 10:26 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: CrosstitchQueen]
Princess Lenora Offline

Hi Anno, I am fine, really. I just got lost in a self-imposed withdrawal from my social companions, virtual and otherwise. I don't know why I do that. Maybe I get sick of the sound of my own voice, be it actual verbal or keyboard. But I resurrected myself to rejoin my friends. That's the thing, I can pick up where I left off, and no one here chastises me. Problem is, though, I lose track of THEIR (your) lives and fail to contribute. But I'm back on track. Based on the recommendations here, I borrowed "My Sister's Keeper." A friend sent me "The Last Lecture." I heard that the author died yesterday, 7/24/08. Anno, that's a long web site blog link you have. I'll check it out soon. L, PL

#35590 - 07/27/08 12:14 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Sadie Offline

Hello Princess ,

I have missed you . Oh, I read Randy Paugh book "The Last Lecture" and I read that he died yesterday , made me said he was only here for a short time . His life and legecy is in that book . I am reading now among many others is - Jane Austen's book "Mansfield Park" . Very good reading I do say . Princess do you think that the Poetry book by Elizabeth Barrett Brown is around somewhere ? I would love to purchase it . I ran across Emily Dicksen , but didn't care for her poems at all.

Best,
Renee

#35591 - 07/27/08 05:11 PM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Sadie]
Princess Lenora Offline

Hello Renee, how nice to see you here. You're into some heavy reading. I will start the Last Lecture today because there will be a profile on him this week on Prime Time or one of those shows. Sure, you can find the poetry of Brown. One of my favorite poets who is still in book stores is Sharon Oldes.

#35592 - 07/28/08 12:38 AM Re: Read any good books lately? [Re: Princess Lenora]
Sadie Offline

Hello Princess ,

I hope I can find Elizabeth Barrett Browning and her poems on B&N or Borders book store on their web site . I will check out Sharon Oldes poems too. Thanks for the info. I want to see that tribute to Randy Paush son Prime time this week and I think it is on Tuesday night , but not sure . Let me know . Thanks .

Later,
Renee

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved