The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 202 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#43224 - 09/10/05 06:42 PM Friends Heal Strangers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I thought it might be a good idea to post some of the awesome stories evolving from Katrina. One noght while watching the news I saw a young couple appear at the Astrodome who were willing to adopt a whole family. They offered to take the family in, clothe and feed them. They also ofered to help the parents find jobs and get the kids placed in schools. [Big Grin]

#43225 - 09/10/05 06:56 PM Re: Friends Heal Strangers
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Five or six year old boy and his 6 month baby brother rescued from families roof top. Helicopter only had room for the two.
Dropped off with 4 other children younger than the six year old to high ground.
Six year old had his baby brother in his arms, while leading the other children, when the rescue worker came upon them.
Six year old gave his name and the name of his family. They both are now united with their family.
Miracle from heaven above.....thank-you.

Brenda

#43226 - 09/15/05 01:09 AM Re: Friends Heal Strangers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

A dear friend of mine is currently unemployed. She took off today for Montgomery, Alabama with The Red Cross for three weeks. She is uncertain about where, or what she will do. All she knows is that she will somehow be involved with caring for the victims of Katrina. My measly job is to try to get a few home cooked meals in her son while she is away. She's afraid they'll eat nothing but fast food without her.

I am so proud of her.

And guess what? She's keeping a journal while she's away and is considering posting it at BWS> Pretty cool, huh?

Please pray for her and her family while they are apart.

#43227 - 09/15/05 02:09 AM Re: Friends Heal Strangers
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Montgomery is where my son lives. His neighborhood was OK but tornados passed all around him.

#43228 - 09/15/05 06:18 PM Re: Friends Heal Strangers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sherri, I'm glad he's okay. That was her destination spot. They are being dispersed from there. I should here where she is today.

#43229 - 09/15/05 10:39 PM Re: Friends Heal Strangers
renegadeartist Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Last night on the local news here in Colorado, I saw a man from New Orleans and re-established in Denver, reunited with his two dogs. The poor guy completely broke down.
The Humane Society in Denver brought in 130 animals. They will keep them for five weeks to try and find the owners. Then the pets get new homes.
I know it is horrible about people suffering in this, but many pets are suffering too.

#43230 - 09/15/05 10:54 PM Re: Friends Heal Strangers
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Yes but when the animals suffer, the owners suffer also, and it's really sad that people who had to lose everything, even their jobs, have the additional pain of not knowing what happened to their beloved pet. I was so relieved to see the animal rescuers go in. Recently I got on Petfinder.com to see what was happening and they have a thread where people are actually directing the rescuers to specific homes where a dog or cat could be. Sometimes they see one on a newscast and they inform the rescuers. The animal lovers have really pulled together to save as many as possible.

#43231 - 09/15/05 11:16 PM Re: Friends Heal Strangers
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about the animals. It has been heartbraking to see the animals wandering in the streets lost.

Our pets are sooooo precious!

Danita

#43232 - 09/16/05 12:12 AM Re: Friends Heal Strangers
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Danita, I would never put an animal's welfare above a human's life either, but I still would not leave my dog if humanly possible.

#43233 - 09/16/05 03:37 AM Re: Friends Heal Strangers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
We have had dozens of lost confused animals arriving at the airport to be housed here in safety until they can be reunited with their familys or until we can find new homes for them. One of our local firemen that just came back from NO said it was horrible, when the water went down enough, they found countless dogs closed up in pens or at the end of their chains drowned with no chance of escape. He said in his team of 8 men all were in tears as they discovered more and more dead animals. They saved dozens and said the National Guardsmen refused to shot any unless they were totally unable to save them. Maybe you will think me insane but my dogs are my children as much as my sons are. I believe that no one or nothing could make me abandon them but I have never been faced with the choice either and God help me if I ever am....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved