The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#43384 - 07/27/05 11:38 PM Re: Breaking records!
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Seakling or seekling, never heard of it! Hm, I seek ways to be strong, but that is not in conjunction with whether I am a country girl or city slicker. I like country living with city conveniences! What does that make me? A country slicker? It makes me sad to see the number of abandoned farms/ranches with collapsing barns in CO. I sure hope these farmers got a lot of money for their land. In Missouri, there were many older men and women returning to college. They had inherited farms from their families. The farming community was no longer producing, so these people, some in their sixties and seventies, who had only known farming, could not retire. They had to go back to school to learn a trade to take into thier old-old years. LLL

#43385 - 07/28/05 01:28 AM Re: Breaking records!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Lynn, it is considered vry bad luck to tear down an old barn and that's why you see so many barely standing.

#43386 - 07/28/05 07:39 AM Re: Breaking records!
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Really? Wow, I wonder how that superstition started. I would love to trespass and feel the history. LLL

#43387 - 07/28/05 06:44 PM Re: Breaking records!
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
quote:
Originally posted by Dianne:
Lynn, it is considered vry bad luck to tear down an old barn and that's why you see so many barely standing.

Could you tell us more about that, Dianne?

I've never heard that; but I agree that many barns are left til they fall of their own accord. I thought it was just because they were so *big*! that it would be difficult to tear them down without a lot of *help*. (and dangerous)

#43388 - 07/29/05 07:03 AM Re: Breaking records!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Who knows how these superstitions get started. Maybe some guy tore down his barn in 1902 and had bad luck afterward so the community decided it must have been the barn. [Roll Eyes] Personally, if I had an old barn on my property I'd tear it down, piece by piece. Eyesores!

#43389 - 08/02/05 07:12 AM Re: Breaking records!
Terri Offline

Loc: Cedar Key, Florida
Chatty...what a nice thing to do for those seniors! Having grown up in the frigid New England winters, although I hate humidity, I'll take the heat over cold. With a/c, one can manage to stay cool...but even with layers of clothes, that East wind off the Atlantic was never pleasant.
Everyone stay cool!

#43390 - 08/02/05 04:37 PM Re: Breaking records!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Terri, have you experienced any hurricanes wher you live yet?

#43391 - 08/06/05 05:26 PM Re: Breaking records!
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I wonder if it is bad luck to tear down a barn(stable) because that is where Jesus was born?
I'd like to research to find out. Anyone have an older relative that might know?
chick

#43392 - 08/06/05 06:39 PM Re: Breaking records!
Terri Offline

Loc: Cedar Key, Florida
Dotsie....Florida experienced four hurricanes last year, as I'm sure you know. Here on the island, they had some minor water damage, but nothing serious.
Cedar Key hasn't had a major hurricane since Hurricane Easy (they weren't naming them back then) in 1950. There was quite a lot of devastation here on the island.
When Dennis slid by a few weeks ago, we did have some flooding here on the island.....but it was all cleared up within a week. Fortunately (and a buying feature) my home sits up on a bit of a rise at 22 ft. elevation, not even requiring flood insurance. The new roof going on my house and writers studio is metal, rather than shingle. I'm told it would take a Cat 5 to budge it.
I know anything's possible, but the way I see it...to live here surrounded by all this beauty and wildlife, I'll take a chance on hurricanes. Needless to say, if a big one was headed this way, we'd evacuate the island and just pray our home was still standing when we returned. For me, it's just an example of living each day to the fullest and enjoying the moments rather than worrying about what "might be."

#43393 - 08/08/05 07:17 AM Re: Breaking records!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What an outlook to have. Live it up! Soak in that beauty.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved