The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 130 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#52508 - 03/10/06 07:17 PM spending money on the grandkids
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Do you spend more money on your grandchildren than your parents spent on your kids?

Boomers are spenders. Now we have another generation spend our money on.

Do you buy your grandchildren mcuh? If so, what do you take pleasure in buying them?

#52509 - 03/11/06 08:39 AM Re: spending money on the grandkids
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Actually, I don't. For several reasons. I try to give her others things like my devoted time, crafts, playing outside. My niece opened my eyes to "grandmother" gifts. She told my sister NOT to buy her two girls much for Christmas because they were trying really hard to teach them the value of gift-giving, and of having TOO much... I thought, you know...I could do that NOW with Lea. So, I do buy her things on occasion, but not ALL the time, like would be my inclination.

You know what? She's still excited to see me when I walk in the door without gifts.

Now, when I do buy her things out of the norm, I try to make them either educational, or durable. That girl could tear up the Empire State Building.

JJ

#52510 - 03/11/06 01:43 AM Re: spending money on the grandkids
sami Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec. Canada.
I agree with you JJ. I think the greatest gift you can give granchildren is time. Especially these days when more mothers are working full time.

I think I do spend more money though than my parents did on my children.

I bought my 2 year old grandaughter a stroller and a baby doll for Christmas which she loved, she kept running everybody over with it at the Christmas party, and kept saying goodbye, because she was taking baby for a walk.

Someone else bought her a tea set with a coffe pot, and this is one baby doll that drinks imaginary coffee.

[ March 11, 2006, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: sami ]

#52511 - 03/11/06 01:46 AM Re: spending money on the grandkids
sami Offline

Whoops! there's a typo in my last post. It should read grandaughter, not daughter.

#52512 - 03/11/06 05:23 AM Re: spending money on the grandkids
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
My parents were much better off than we are so my kids got a lot more than we're able to spend on our grandbeauty.

But to Belle -- having "mom" and "dad" (her names for us - mommy and daddy are her parents) take her to McDonalds for a chocolate shake seems to make up for all of that ;-)

I also agree that quality is so much more important than quantity when it comes to kids. Values and morals and learning rights from wrongs are things grandparents have the maturity and time to teach -- and dont forget family history !!

#52513 - 03/11/06 01:51 PM Re: spending money on the grandkids
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I do spend at will on my 7 grandkids, but I don't overdo it. Except at Xmas lol!

#52514 - 03/11/06 09:01 PM Re: spending money on the grandkids
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
My little grandaughter who lives with me just loves to pull up her stool and help me cook dinner. She thoroughly enjoys hand washing the dishes, spraying and wiping anything, and working with me in the yard. She is my shadow whenever I'm at home.

Her favorite treat and I try to have it with me every time I pick her up from school is a Slim Jim and Bug Juice, which she calls a beef stick and Bug Goose.

I'm crazy about her and her brother who is my best friend. We understand each other and he just makes me smile from the inside out like the sun rising on a dreary morning.

My grandson, Joseph, loves his silly Grammy who buys he and his brother things like Billy Bob teeth and wears them herself on occasion..... [Embarrassed]

I love to make them laugh. My grandaughter, Alyssa looks like Uma Thurman and has a great sense of humor. Her sister, Jessica, is so intelligent and aggressive (they're trying to curb her enthusiasm..). I sent both a trunk of 'princess' clothes, shoes and jewelry for Christmas which their mom says they try on everyday. My youngest grandson is a little man with a big smile. He wrinkles up his little nose when he doesn't agree with you.

I love them all so much and am so thankful for each of them and their parents. They are my life's greatest blessing.

#52515 - 03/12/06 04:54 AM Re: spending money on the grandkids
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Sami and anyone new, if you make a typo or anything you want to change in a post merely look at the four little pictures above each post and click on the pad and pencil one, your original post pops up and you can change it and then re-file it and whalla, all correct...

#52516 - 03/12/06 06:06 AM Re: spending money on the grandkids
sami Offline

Thanks Chatty, Have taken note. I never looked at those buttons. I have added the missing word.

#52517 - 03/13/06 03:00 AM Re: spending money on the grandkids
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Its safe to say Dotsie site leasves little to be desired and has all the bells and whistles in place....

#52518 - 03/14/06 07:48 PM Re: spending money on the grandkids
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty, you are kind to say that. It's really the software, not me. [Big Grin]

By the grace of God, I listened to the couple who designed this site. They are the ones who suggested this forum format. ALl I did was say yes and I've never looked back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved