The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#53962 - 04/28/06 04:16 AM Re: Gas Prices
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Did anyone read what I posted above???? What are your feelings or are we Americans too spoiled to take a little less at a time and maybe have to gas up more often????? JJ some of the residents of the resort I live in are riding bicycles, more and more each day. Those scooters are really nice by the way...

#53963 - 04/28/06 04:40 AM Re: Gas Prices
Dancing Dolphin Offline

Loc: Southern California
I live about 10 miles from the nearest gas station, and at $3.20 per gallon I can't afford to only put in $10 a day as you suggest, Chatty. It cost me nearly $50 to fill up my van the last time I went, and I try not to drive down there very often.

That's a good idea for some though. Although I almost feel like I should fill up every chance I get so I won't get hit for awhile with the next price jump.

Speakermom, it does get me so upset when I read about the salaries and bonuses of these oil company executives - just outrageous when we're all scrimping so we can get the kids to band practice!

#53964 - 04/28/06 05:08 AM Re: Gas Prices
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Annually, we have a bike to work day here, so I've already gotten my bike out to start building stamina -- once! LOL! I work part time in a small resort town and it is hurting. A soccer mom her is putting $76 a week in her mini-van tank -- and of course, she can't unload it now.

It's a thought about the $10 fill-up. I just hate getting gas so much, though. Waiting around with people who still don't know enough to turn off their engines....!!!

I'm really glad I traded in my mini-van six years ago! :-))

#53965 - 04/28/06 06:56 PM Re: Gas Prices
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
In addition to rising gas prices, Baltimore is about to be hit with a 72% increase in gas and electric! Can you imagine what that is going to do to the prices of everything?

Government officials are scampering to find ways to off-set the increase over a period of years, but no one's come up with a solution yet.

This is getting scary!

#53966 - 04/28/06 08:23 PM Re: Gas Prices
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
To me, there are a few things we can do. Some we do ourselves, some we make sure our elected officials take care of (or don't re-elect them!).

We know about conservation. Lower the thermostat, follow the $10 suggestion, carpool, walk, cover our windows with plastic or invest in new windows, get a blanket, etc. What one thing can you do today to conserve energy?

Second, get the fox out of the henhouse. Oil and gas companies shouldn't be creating energy policy. It's a conflict of interest. Neither should the alternative energy companies. Same problem. We've known for decades that oil and gas are finite resources, yet the fuel-efficiency standards for cars, trucks, etc. are substantially the same that they were in the mid-1970s. Why?

There's really not much we can do that's going to change pump prices or heating prices right now. If we get smarter and start thinking long-term, we may get some relief.

What do our hearts tell us? What kind of world do we want? Do we want to leave a land of strip-mining and extinct animals for our children? Do we want older folks to die because they can't get adequate heat? Do we want the gap between rich and poor to continue to increase? Who are we?

Not simple questions and they won't produce quick responses, but if we really think these things through and live our values, even if it might pinch us a little, we will be better off.

My two cents -- take what you like and leave the rest!

#53968 - 04/29/06 04:04 AM Re: Gas Prices
chatty lady Offline
Writer

The electric company just had a rate hike too and my bill jumped $9.81 cents per month. I am on a budgeted plan so I pay the same every month. Now its higher, yuk!!! Now yesterday the gas company asked for a rate hike....You're so right Dotsie it is getting s scary. Where I live water is included in the space rent but my son pays a $50.00 a month water bill beside gas and electric...One of the local pawn shop owners was on TV news here and said his business has been doubling with people selling jewelry etc. to pay for gasoline. Alot of the familys here have 3 cars and this is not a place you can get around easily without a car....or magic carpet!!! [Wink]

[ April 28, 2006, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#53969 - 04/30/06 07:37 AM Re: Gas Prices
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My son is coming home from college between his finals and and mini-mester. It will cost him $160.00 in gas to drive home and back. We're considering flying him.

Now I'm waiting for the air fares to sky rocket.

#53970 - 04/30/06 01:20 AM Re: Gas Prices
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Well the planes use tons of fuel too so I wouldn't be surprised.

#53971 - 04/30/06 05:56 AM Re: Gas Prices
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Gasline, like electricity, only costs when we use it. I've always tended to lump errands together when going to town but now Dave and I do errands together. I really feel for elderly folks on a *very* fixed income.

#53972 - 04/30/06 06:15 AM Re: Gas Prices
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
One side effect of these high gas prices is conservation of our resources. And the less gasoline we burn the better for the environment too.

Maybe we needed to combine trips and travel fewer miles all along. It's a shame gasoline prices had to reach $3 per gallon before we got inspired.

smile

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved