The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 98 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#54843 - 01/29/06 03:23 AM Re: Fair Tax Movement
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I've always said TERM LIMITS on ALL jobs political as such should be levied and enforced then perhaps these so called public servants and the like would be better at what they do, would care more and could be held accountable by not being re-elected. Heck we limit the Presidents term so why not the rest of them? Ane NO MORE salary until their deaths either, once you're out of office/job then you go on SS like the rest of us peons....whats fair is fair.

#54844 - 01/29/06 04:39 AM Re: Fair Tax Movement
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
For sure.

That's something else about government by telephone. We would get to decide how much to pay the people to run the government. Tht would put a stop to the way the congress raises their salaries and expects us to pay for it. And they might get a retirement bonus if they did a really great job, but it would be up to us. They should all have to try to live on the SS that the rest of us have to look forward to only if it has not been squandered by irresponsible politicians

Politics was never intended to be a career. It was originally designed to be a service.

smile

#54845 - 01/30/06 01:03 AM Re: Fair Tax Movement
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
We have records of how our Congressmen and Senators vote. We do have the opportunity to vote in a different one if we're not satisfied with their voting record. It's not a lifetime job unless we keep voting them back in office.

A friend just got a new job with a company that sells subscriptions to a service that keeps track of all the bills and who votes and how. It is supposedly non-partisan.

I believe they do read our letters and at least keep track of how many are for and against a bill. One Democrat senator is refusing to go along with the rest in the Alito hearings because he said he is doing what his constituents have asked him to do. That's how it should be.

Daisygirl

#54846 - 01/30/06 01:30 AM Re: Fair Tax Movement
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Constituents are only one of many forces tugging at our elected representatives. Most of the others have more direct impact. There's the party, lobbyists, corporate campaign finance, the media, and pollsters, all with more immediate access which gives them greater influence. It is far too easy for the wishes of the constituent to get lost in the fray.

I wish I felt more positive about our elected representatives. I'm sure not all are corrupt, but it seems that far too many get power drunk and change for the worst once elected. Term limits might help, but it could also result in replacing bad with worse.

My government by telephone idea is really sort of tongue in cheek, but it would certainly give us more authority over our own destiny. Of course with authority comes responsibility and I'm not sure everyone is willing to tak that on. It is easier to blame the politicians for poor judgement than to make our own decisions.

But even as a threat, it might frighten some career politicans into compliance with the wishes of their consitiuents. It's time they understand they work for US.

I should write a play about that. ??

smile

[ January 29, 2006, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#54847 - 01/30/06 04:10 PM Re: Fair Tax Movement
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
It probably won't happen, but if the majority of Americans went to the polls and voted for a Ralph Nader, for instance instead of the two candidates forced upon us by the two predominate parties, what a message THAT would send...
I lived in Texas during the "reign" of ...sorry, having a senior moment...independent who ran and actually had some followers for a while...what was his name?? I knew what he was all about, and just couldn't vote for him. However, Ralph Nader had some viable points and seemed to know just what it would take to get the job done. (he did look way too much like Mr. Rodgers though).
I have a whimsical idea...do you think we could put a sack over the heads of the candidates until they are elected? I'm sorry, but I couldn't have stood 4 years of having to look at Kerry or Nader in the press every day. Clinton and Bush are bad enough and 4 yrs. of Hillary would be impossible! LOL
Case in point of how we are so molded by the media and how someone is presented to us. The press can make or break a candidate. Just as in the real estate business where curb appeal can make or break a sale.
Just look at magazines like the Enquirer or People or US. Take one look at Britney Spears cottage cheese thighs and she's not the diva anymore. Read about Chelsea Clinton's abortion or tragic love affair and desperation in private life, and the parenthood of the CLinton's is gravely questioned. Some of us wonder, if they can't successfully parent their only child, how can they run a country with compassion and wisdom.
We are greatly impacted by the media even to who we will vote for. If a third party candidate got as much air time or as biased press as one or both predominate parties, we might be swayed to vote for them.

#54848 - 01/30/06 06:33 PM Re: Fair Tax Movement
ladybug Offline

In fairness to parents everywhere, should the Clintons quality of parenting be questioned when their adult daughter living on her own makes some bad choices? Can a parent be held responsbile for everything their child does when they move out and are on their own?

Sorry, I know it's off the topic entirely.

#54849 - 01/31/06 01:18 AM Re: Fair Tax Movement
NewLeaf Offline

Loc: Deland, Florida
Absolutely not! Thank goodness! But her troubles started well before she moved out on her own. Because of the troubles I have experienced with my own daughter, I have followed the children of the presidential families and the governors' families.
Even in our own state, our governor Bush and his wife have had problems with their daughter taking Xanax and getting it fraudulently without a prescription.
These things do happen, but when they begin while still under parental influence it calls to attention, at least in me, the ability of the parents to rule and govern the larger population.
I think politicians aren't exempt from the same exemplary lifestyle that is expected from others in positions of power and influence such as entertainers and ministers/priests.

#54850 - 01/31/06 02:19 AM Re: Fair Tax Movement
ladybug Offline

I'm cool with that Number5.

#54851 - 01/31/06 03:23 AM Re: Fair Tax Movement
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I think perhaps we are forgetting something here. The children of famous people, political or otherwise also see what their parents do and hear alot about them in the media. I believe some behave as their peers while others like many of our own children do as they please. Kids are kids no matter who the parents are BUT it is ALL parents responsibily to lead by example, good example, no matter who they are.

#54852 - 01/31/06 05:05 AM Re: Fair Tax Movement
ladybug Offline

I totally agree with you Chatty but we are talking about a young woman who is an adult and not a child living at home.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved