The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12
Topic Options
#56497 - 09/07/05 06:35 AM Re: Hurricane Coming
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Ah, the city of New Orleans. It was so charming...the archictecture alone was unique, not to mention the people, the talk, the food, the music...
Having lived in Europe for 20 years coming back to the south was well, shall I say, not quite what I was used to. When I visited NO for the first time I was excited because it was the closest thing to being in Europe there was around here. I loved sitting in Jackson square watching the Jazz performers...man, you cannot sit still when they are going to town on the instruments. The artists selling their paintings, the fortune tellers, the street performers, and amazingly the mime's who could stand forever in one place...most fascinating. New Orleans will rise again out of the personal tradegy and it will be better than ever. Chatty Lady I think you're right...the powers that be will have to do things differently to protect the city...will it ever be 100% protected? I doubt it, but they'll come as close as they possibly can, I believe.

#56498 - 09/07/05 06:55 PM Re: Hurricane Coming
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks for the reminders. They make me smile. I have been to New Orleans twice. One time my husband and I met friends there for a conference. Most recently our family went for my niece's wedding.

My sister who is still in Florida was interviewed for one of the local papers becasue she evacuated. Her quote closed the article with the following. I am so proud of her!

"I cry for this city," Wood said between sobs. "It's not the same city we danced in last weekend." Every Saturday they close the streets and musicians play and people walk by. "I am going back there and I'll tell you right now, I will work my job every day, and I'll go into that city and help rebuild it."

#56499 - 09/08/05 07:24 AM Re: Hurricane Coming
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Dotsie, what a wonderful quote. Thanks for sharing.

#56500 - 09/08/05 07:52 AM Re: Hurricane Coming
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Dotsie,

I've heard it said many times this past week that the New Orleanians have a lot of heart and perseverence and that's why we will see the city rebuilt. I hope so.

Daisygirl

#56501 - 09/07/05 09:01 PM Re: Hurricane Coming
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
The first time I went to Louisiana, I felt as tho I belonged there my entire life. I was THISCLOSE to moving down south because of that.

My friends from Baton Rouge made sure I had the full experience. I did all the tourist things--from BR to NO. But they also taught me the history & showed me the different backgrounds of the people.

It was such an learning experience. I come from Long Island, NY. We are about a half hour from NYC. I rarely went into NYC--and life is/was just so rushed & nasty at times.

When I went down south, the people were so welcoming. They accepted you with open arms--& it was such a nice feeling from what I had known.

There were so many things that facinated me. I couldn't imagine living so differently. It opened my mind to another world. A world I am once again regretting I didn't join when I had the chance. I often wonder how my life would have turned out if I had moved to Baton Rouge.

I am learning that most everyone that I know who lived in NO/Metarie/Slidell have lost everything.
They are all safe, thank God.

I was just at the store & spoke with yet another person about the hurricane. Everyone can not imagine what it would be like to lose everything you have--your home--your family--your life.

Every other person has said that we have to do what little we can to help--for we do not know how it feels.

I am not relgious. But I have said a prayer every night thanking God for what I have--and to give those without the strength to survive.

I hope you are all well. Everyone is in my thoughts.

#56502 - 09/08/05 01:05 AM Re: Hurricane Coming
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
There is no answers for the things done wrong, too slow or whatever other terminology will be given to this terrible disaster. Mother Nature dealt those people the kind of blow never before seen or felt in this country. It let us all know how vulnerable we are. Hopefully we will all learn from this and improve our personal preparedness for any future disasters. We have also shown other nations we are NOT the strongest nation we once thought we were. Our enemies will get ideas from this. This is the time to pull together, one and all, man, woman and child. There shouldn't be any sex, color or nationality barrier in this wonderful proud nation of ours. The people of New Orleans are the best example of that we could ever learn from, they ALL get along living side by side and working together hand in hand and thats one of the things New Orleans has always been famous for, they would be appauld to see others playing up a situation that doesn't even exist there. Nowonder they all want to go back home again. I was in Church today finishing up some boxes going out this afternoon to the Astrodome and went into the little side chapel to say a prayer and cried to think anyone would try and make this situation they're Political soap box agenda. Dam those people, they are not true Americans. Then it dawned on me, how we Boomers can be an example right here all of us together, we can stand strong as a group so when anyone slips in to read these posts (and many do) they can feel the love, friendship and comraderie we share and hopefully realize that if this large of a group of women can stand strong, hand in hand united with one another, so can they. God bless us all....Remember, united we stand...

[ September 07, 2005, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#56503 - 09/08/05 06:40 AM Re: Hurricane Coming
Dee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Dear K,
Your email is touching and I'm glad you were able to experience New Orleans. If I know New Orleans it will be back better than ever. There's a spirit there that no hurricane can wash away...Maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think that NO will come back stronger and better than ever. I loved going to that city and will miss it...I'm still trying to deal with Gulfport, Biloxi, Long Beach, Pass Christian, Bay St. Louis and Waveland being hit so hard...up until about 2 years ago those were the areas I knew...visited, shopped there, had friends there, lived there...I'm lucky I wasn't living there when this thing hit...friends I have there are still having a hard time dealing with the loss even though it's right in front of them. I'll keep praying for everyone who has been affected by this disaster. God Bless you K.

Page 12 of 12 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved