The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#56437 - 09/01/05 10:41 PM Re: Hurricane Coming
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
Please don't forget the pets that have been left behind. The Humane Society have people in the area who are rescuing the abandoned animals. You can donate on their website.

Eagle Heart, you are a good American. If I didn't have to work, I'd be there also. And I'm jealous of your handyman.

Daisygirl

#56438 - 09/01/05 10:43 PM Re: Hurricane Coming
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
This may sound selfish but I think it's time to call in our own- bring home the National Guard and save our citizens- we are a vast and wealthy country that is just stretched too thin- it's time to protect our people

#56439 - 09/01/05 10:43 PM Re: Hurricane Coming
Daisygirl Offline

Eagle Heart, I just noticed you are Canadian - that makes your desire to help all the more special! Thank you.....

Daisygirl

#56440 - 09/01/05 11:01 PM Re: Hurricane Coming
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Rescue workers are getting shot at. FEMA has stopped working because it's unsafe for their people. Why? Why would people who need help shoot at those who are trying to rescue them?

The red cross is getting record donations. More help is needed. If you can, give to the red cross so that they can provide the appropriate help needed for these poor people.

#56441 - 09/01/05 11:10 PM Re: Hurricane Coming
KAY B Offline

Loc: Long Island, New York
I haven't been able to sleep well for days now.
I am having 9/11 panic attacks all over again.

My most favorite place in the entire world IS New Orleans. I had to be born there in another lifetime! I almost moved there when I was 19--but my father talked me out of it.

I keep saying I will not watch another news story on the hurricane. But I find myself glued to the tv. And when I see all the destruction--and the people who simply couldn't get out of NO due to many reasons--it breaks my heart. I think of all those people suffering---all those people who may not have made it out alive.

I have been having panic attacks again. I keep going back to 9/11 & the hopeless feeling we all had. Only this time we have seen the suffering--and the mayhem that has followed.

The looting makes me sick. Now I heard they are moving into more populated areas to do the same. To think of how many more people we may loose because the police & National Guard have to watch over these inhumane beings.

Thank God our one friend is ok. I am hoping another I have lost touch with is also ok. We are waiting on another friend who has family in Mississippi.

I plan to make a donation of cash to one of the reputable charities. I know the school children will be having fund raisers,etc in the weeks to come once school starts. I will also help them.

Here in NY everyone is talking about how we need to repay those who helped all of us in our time of need. That should go without saying.

I can still close my eyes & feel that awful feeling on that September morning. Hoping all those people knew someone was thinking about them as the first tower fell. That they weren't alone.

I can't imagine yet the full destruction of Louisiana. When I close my eyes I see my fave spot in the French Quarter---sitting on that hill with the sunlight hitting me.

I paid $2.99 a gallon this morning for 1/4 of a tank. I didn't complain. I thought of what I needed to do--and how I could do it in one trip.

I feel guilty washing the dishes--and seeing all the water wasted. I lay in bed & know thousands are sleeping on the ground. I eat with guilt. Instead of feeling grateful for what I have---I feel guilty instead.

I hope every single one of you who may have a loved one--a friend--a friend of a friend--that they are ok. I know too many people who lost a loved one on 9/11. This hurricane has effected me in the same manner that day did. New Orleans is my 2nd home. I knew & loved it better than NYC.
It just feels like another piece has been ripped from my soul.

Whew. And I didn't think I could put this into words.

#56442 - 09/01/05 11:24 PM Re: Hurricane Coming
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Kay, Devastation of this magnitude hits at the heart of all of us. I've never been to New Orleans but grieve its loss as if it was my own hometown. I had trouble sleeping last night, worried that the tail end of this hurricane would flood out my two young nieces living outside of Toronto. Thankfully, that didn't happen, but for that entire night I had nightmares of them being stuck on their roof with nobody to rescue them.

So that gives me a taste of the agony that so many others are going through whose worst nightmares DID come true.

One of the dangers for those of us who have to watch and wait and don't know what we can do to help is slowly succumbing to a sense of futility. That the problem is too immense and overwhelming, that our little light won't make any difference at all. But that's never true. Every little dime and nickel helps. Every prayer helps. Every caring thought expressed in any way wherever you are ripples right on down the line. We can only start where and how we can and trust that it's just as vital and valuable as the bigger stuff.

#56443 - 09/02/05 12:45 AM Re: Hurricane Coming
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Germany is the only one besides the Canadians that have jumpen in with both feet to assist us any way they can. It is appauling how our own government has dropped the ball here and left our own citizens without food, water and medicine for what 5 days nows??? Prayer is great but you can't eat prayer, nor wear it nor take it for a medical condition...There are definitely to many cooks in the kitchen and none can agree how to take care of this, everyone wants to be the boss and little is getting done. I know it will 'ALL' be taken care of eventually but I would hate to be one of those poor people waiting all this time with hope dwindling. We are suppose to be the greatest country in the world and this has been handled like a third world country handles things and there is NO excuse for it...DISCUSTING!!!Oh and another thing, those service stations gouging our citizens $6.00 for a gallon of gas should be prosecutred to the fullest extent of the law when this is over. They are worse than terrorists to do something like this. Adding to the misery instead of helping...

[ September 01, 2005, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#56444 - 09/02/05 01:04 AM Re: Hurricane Coming
Fiftyandfine Offline

Loc: FL
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but somebody had mentioned bringing guys home from Iraq to help in NO. Well, my brother is due home Saturday (he was anyway)and my SIL just told me they're figuring on him being immediately deployed to Louisiana. That's one more helicopter, folks, and I'm sure his unit will be with him. I don't know what that total would be.
I have to tell you it would KILL ME to have my brother arrive safely home from Iraq only to be killed by looters. If these a--holes end up taking anybody's life, I swear that I will start pushing for the death penalty--something I've never really done in my life. Sorry, I am just mortified at the situation!!!

#56445 - 09/02/05 02:33 AM Re: Hurricane Coming
Daisygirl Offline

I've heard that crime was a big problem in NO and has been for a long time. These thugs that are doing the looting and shooting are in gangs, are into drugs and the such.

I think the locals don't have their act together and the feds need direction from them, because they know their city the best. They are not getting it and need to take over.

I hope our military takes all the weaponry they need to get the job done there. They need grenades and the big stuff and to treat their attacks the same as if they are attacking the country - because they are. They better not make them fight the politically correct way.

Daisygirl

#56446 - 09/02/05 04:44 AM Re: Hurricane Coming
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Although it is hard to see many still without assistance, due to the enormity of this calamity, I am thankful for all the efforts to rescue and help our felllow americans.

But it must be a nightmare to be without water for so long, and people are dying. I continue to pray for all involved, rescuers included. I'm also glad there are many churches and organizations uniting their efforts to serve the needy. We can do so much better that way!

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved