The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 106 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5690 - 01/17/04 08:52 AM Service industry needs to listen more
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Is anyone having problems in the service area--such as maintenance of cars, physicians and nurses, groceries and fast-food places?

I've noticed in the last several years that the service in many areas nationwide is going very bad. What scares me is the often rude, uncaring and unprofessional attitudes and service --and that's often from Drs., nurses and the health industry, an area that should keep the customers--first!

I'm figuring it's management because when the employees see the manager not caring, giving mediocre service, then they feel they can too.
Just recently my husband and I went to the Drs., feeling really bad and the nurse and the Dr. overlooked important procedures. If we hadn't been together, we could have ended up sicker than when we came in!

Also, I realize that the health care industry is hurting for people and that many nurses and Drs. are leaving the profession due to high malpractice insurance.

Anymore, if I don't get decent service, I go to the manager, write a letter or write an email to the company or health provider. This usually works and I feel better doing something about it. When I want to get to the heart of the problem quicker, I go directly to the source.

Just wanted to sound off a bit and see how the rest of you felt. It's an issue that's growing, daily and it is a real concern.

Ann

#5691 - 01/17/04 03:24 AM Re: Service industry needs to listen more
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
When I was in chemo, I went through 4 oncologists because I "fired" the ones I didn't like. Onc#2 was so incompetant a sent a 3-page letter to 3 different departments in my HMO. The Dr. got put on probation with a mark on her record, a "3 strikes you're out" condition, and for whatever reason is no longer there.

Not only do I feel better after complaining to the proper source, but maybe I'll save the next person from going through that garbage.

#5692 - 01/17/04 04:15 PM Re: Service industry needs to listen more
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
My husband is a famous letter writer. You don't want to be on the receiving end when he's unhappy. He's diplomatic, but it's sometimes even worse than just being all out there with it. It's an art!

He also writes letters when he's pleased with service. No that's the one you want! usst might get you a promotion.

There was an article in the paper about a year ago about the local McDonalds. They have the hardest time getting help because nobody wants to work for minimum wage, and the kids in the area don't want to work for them because they're McDonalds. [Eek!] It's like they're too good for that job. There help mailnly arrives by bus from the city.

Often times people are late, don't show up, quit, leaving the customers waiting. It was interesting to hear another perspective.

I guess it's the same for most minimum wage jobs, but that's no excuse for all the professional jobs we're talking about. [Confused]

#5693 - 01/17/04 11:19 PM Re: Service industry needs to listen more
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Less than a month ago my husband and I were driving home from out of town on Christmas Day. We decided to stop for something to drink. Absolutely everything was closed except one deserted looking McDonalds where we drove through for a coke.

A nice older guy who seemed to be the only one working took our order. When he brought our drinks to the window, my husband made a point of telling him how much we appreciated a place to stop and he thanked him for coming out to work on Christmas day. He handed him the money and told him to keep the change.

The man looked astounded. Almost in tears he leaned out the window and shook my husband's hand. He said it was the only time that anyone had ever said anything like that to him.

We drove on home. All three of us feeling the blessing of my husband's small, but important kindness.

smile

smile

#5694 - 01/18/04 07:02 PM Re: Service industry needs to listen more
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Smile, I can't wait to go through a drive-thru! What a sweetie of a husband. [Wink]

#5695 - 01/19/04 08:01 AM Re: Service industry needs to listen more
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Absolutely. That is one of the best stories I've heard lately. Thank you so much for sharing. If I were there, I'd tell him what a specical person he must be! Tell him for me, won't you?

#5696 - 01/19/04 08:56 AM Re: Service industry needs to listen more
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I told him and gave him a hug too. He said, "Well, it was cold and it was Christmas."

smile

#5697 - 01/19/04 08:59 AM Re: Service industry needs to listen more
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Sounds like a humble man to me! [Wink]

#5698 - 01/19/04 03:34 PM Re: Service industry needs to listen more
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
What a wonderful story! This just goes to show that there are some beautiful people out there. Gives one hope and warms the heart!

#5699 - 01/19/04 07:07 PM Re: Service industry needs to listen more
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I love him. Does he have a brother....

what?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved