The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 61 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#58330 - 02/14/06 04:59 AM The journeys begun...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
This morning early our dear Dianne, her special guy David and the pets, Sammie the bird and Diz the dog started their move across the frozen tundra (so to speak) they are going from Tennessee to Minnesota with bad weather most of the way. Keep your fingers crossed and a prayer in your heart for them all.... [Wink]

#58331 - 02/14/06 05:45 AM Re: The journeys begun...
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Praying they all have a safe trip...I'm sure it will not be a boring ride...with Sammie in the car. What a bird! [Big Grin]
Wonder if Sammi has asked...
"Are we there yet"? [Razz]

#58332 - 02/14/06 09:38 PM Re: The journeys begun...
NHJackie Offline

Loc: Merrimack, NH
Sammi probably started asking "are we there yet?" five minutes into the trip! [Big Grin]

I'm wishing them a safe trip and an easy transition to their new home.

#58333 - 02/14/06 10:03 PM Re: The journeys begun...
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Chatty, did Dianne say how long she expected it to take to arrive there? I am praying for them, thanks for the reminder.

When we used to go on trips as a kid (never far) and would ask that question, my father would always say the same thing, no matter how long we'd been driving..."We're halfway there". Now we say it to our kids!!
How I miss that man.

#58334 - 02/14/06 10:43 PM Re: The journeys begun...
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
We just returned from our 1st visit back to TN (moved back to MI 2 years ago.) I cannot speak for Dianne - but I'd give my right arm to be back in TN. Winter there is over in a blink of an eye - we sit here in doom and gloom for 5 months. And the geography is sooo beautiful. MI has it's bright spots, but unfortunately - none where I live.

We had an interesting move back. Our belongings were on a truck and we both were driving our vehicles. I stuck DH with the dog for the entire 10 hour trip (we drove straight thru.) We had walkie/talkies with us and they were a blast. Constant comments about our fellow travellers around us. Oh yeah, I had to stay right behind DH because he was towing his motorcycle trailer with expired plates. Never a dull moment.

I don't envy her - I think I might have about one more move in me - it is such a drain, physically and mentally - no matter how you prepare. Just finding a new beautician is stress enough.....

#58335 - 02/14/06 10:53 PM Re: The journeys begun...
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
I may have one more move in me too, but it will be to someplace where winter is over in a blink of an eye. I'm kind of thinking of near Savannah. I did a freelance job on Savannah and fell in love with the area!

Sherri

#58336 - 02/15/06 02:59 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Bluebird Offline

In Dec. of 2004, we moved our entire family from NY to CO. There were twelve of us in 3 vehicles and we had walkie talkies, too! It was so much fun. We didn't have to rush since the pods with all our stuff weren't going to get there for a week. One of my sons had just gotten his license and he was sick with fever and swollen tonsils. He drove one of the vehicles because our other son had a suspended license. We took 6 days to get here and stayed in a different state each day. We were like a well-oiled machine, packing up and moving out each day. The older ones helped with the younger ones. I don't know if I've ever been that proud of my kids...
Good times.

[ February 14, 2006, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]

#58337 - 02/15/06 03:03 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Bluebird Offline

Sherri, what the heck is that SMELL in Savannah??? Every time we've ever driven through Georgia, we would hit this weird smell as we approached the city. It's kind of like hot dogs and sauerkraut. Do you know what I mean?

#58338 - 02/15/06 07:05 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Bluebird,
Its Paula Deens resturant that you smell .You know from the food channel on TV. Haa.....

Just joking I love Savannah GA and had a wonderful time there.

[ February 14, 2006, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Renee ]

#58339 - 02/15/06 12:35 PM Re: The journeys begun...
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I hope that they have a safe trip as well.

#58340 - 02/15/06 06:35 PM Re: The journeys begun...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I give Dianne so much credit for making this move. I pray this is "eggzackly" what she hopes it will be!

#58341 - 02/15/06 09:33 PM Re: The journeys begun...
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Blessings for your journey Dianne. Go in peace.

smile

#58342 - 02/16/06 03:10 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Hay gals...thanks so much!

The trip was a pain. One more day on the road and I would have lost it. Diz too. Sammie...she just sat in her travel cage and learned new cell phone sounds. Kept us laughing. Even when she'd hear a cell phone on the radio, she'd start her routine. She's now settled into her acrylic bird condo and taking her afternoon nap.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the double digits below zero. Must be my welcome to MN. Just for me.

I too love TN. I think it's one of the most beautiful states and the southern hospitality can't be beat. I'll miss that southern comfort food too.

They have been showing our house a lot. I'm glad I'm not there to deal with it. We have a close friend who is staying there until it sells.

So, I'm slowly unpacking and getting organized. At least the trip is over and out of the way. Thanks for the prayers of safety. They worked as we only saw a little snow outside of WI.

#58343 - 02/16/06 05:55 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hello Dianne in her new sky loft in wintry MN! I'm glad to hear you arrived with pets in tow safe and sound. Double digits below zero? Yikes? Best keep Sammie cozy. LL, L

#58344 - 02/17/06 09:10 PM Re: The journeys begun...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dianne, have your oufnd your acting class yet? Met any people? Tell us about your neighborhood...

#58345 - 02/17/06 09:48 PM Re: The journeys begun...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

It's hard to describe the neighborhood. It's partly commercial and residential mixed in. We're sandwiched between busy freeways and that's why I haven't ventured out yet. I'll never find my way back! Still kind of busy getting settled in and dealing with my high maintenance dog.

Here is the link to our new home. You can see some of the neighborhood.

http://www.cloud9skyflats.com/main.cfm

So no, haven't even thought of finding a class yet. Diz freaks every time I try to go out the door.

The high today is zero. Good grief, Louise.

I've met a few of my neighbors. One had this tiny puppy in the elevator. I think a lot of younger couples live in the building. I'm going to start researching some dv networks in town and meet women that way.

#58346 - 02/18/06 01:59 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Princess Lenora Offline

What! The high today is zero? I'd never go out. How do you take the dog out? Up and down the elevator? Or did you hire a dog walker? I'd shop for shoes via catalogue. Or, if I were you Dianne, just ask your sister to send some shoes from Europe. L, L

#58347 - 02/18/06 02:09 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I like that idea! Actually, she and her husband are on an around the world trip until March.

Diz is trained to go on a pee pad. I put it on the laundry room floor. She would never go out in cold weather. Doesn't have much hair or body fat. I'm the opposite. [Frown] I wouldn't go out either. It's seriously cold out there. David looked like a snow bunny when he left for work this morning.

#58348 - 02/18/06 05:14 AM Re: The journeys begun...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Dianne, Last night I was watching House Hunters and they highlighted Minnesota, the City and two sisters searching for a home. Saw quite a bit of it and its a busy city but filled with quite a theater community as well as some really excellent looking restaurants and of ourse surrounded by water of one kind or another. I immediately thought of you and your new acting career....
Dotsie the second half hour highlighted Towson, Maryland and a couple moving from Nashville up North. Towson is gorgeous, so old and quaint. They bought a huge home that was built in the 1800's. The Harbor looked beaufitul and so many wonderful seafood establishments. I was interested in all the antique places too but only got a brief looksee....

#58349 - 02/18/06 05:16 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

There really is a lot of culture here. My acting career? That's a hoot.

Oh girls...today the wind chill factor was -34. Tomorrow is supposed to be the coldest weather in a decade. Man oh man.

#58350 - 02/18/06 05:23 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Princess Lenora Offline

Diane, it is 5 pm here. The temperature reading is 0 ZERO degrees F. With wind it is MINUS 22 degrees! My goodness girlfriend what have we done to ourselves moving to these cold climates! My view is of Pikes Peak from the front of the house (over the top of the houses of the subdivision) and of the CO prairie (a natural habitat for the Prebble Mouse) from the back of my house. (the side views are blocked by homes, so close together.) We are having a slow steady snow, about 2 inches so far. The best part? I put the Lands End coats on my little white Westies, let them out the deck door, and they go in the yard, which is fenced. How come you got to move the year that it's the coldest in a decade? L, L

#58351 - 02/18/06 05:38 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Dianne,
I love Minnesota . My father has family out that way in St Paul it is the land of the thousand lakes . They have such lovely blue lakes in Minnasota . The ice fishing and all the ice carnivals in St Paul and Minnapolis the lovely twin citys . I was out there many years ago. Those midwestern people are so nice.

Chatty, I watch that show and love it House Hunters I must have missed it last night . They show Towson. Wow I did miss that show , Towson is pretty place to live.

[ February 17, 2006, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Renee ]

#58352 - 02/18/06 05:42 AM Re: The journeys begun...
smilinize Offline

Dianne,
I assume you are in or near Minneapolis. There is an abundance of excellent theaters in Minneapolis/St Paul. The Guthrie Theater of course is world famous and there are so many other theaters there. I've met so many playwrights from that area. I believe thay have an exceptional apprecaition for original work.

It's been a few years since I was there, but Minneapolis is the only airport I've ever been in (including New York) where all the posters on the walls were advertising plays.

Your sky condo is almost exactly like the one where I lived in Milwaukee except the view was of Lake Michigan. We were on the ninth floor less than 100 feet from the banks of the lake. It was beautiful to watch the sailboats and tankers go by and to see the skaters when it froze over in winter.

However, as a sunshine girl, I hated the cold weather and couldn't wait to get home where the sun shines. I love being able to drive around with the top down on Christmas Eve. But today winter finally came and it has been cold all day. Yuk!

smile

#58353 - 02/18/06 07:53 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
You know, I didn't know there was an odor in Savannah, I haven't ever been there. We live in the soybean capital of the world, and there's nothing worse than burnt soybeans!

SHerri

#58354 - 02/18/06 09:36 AM Re: The journeys begun...
flipperjo Offline

Loc: ND
Dianne, you are in God's country!!! I grew up in Minnesota - most of my family are still there, many rellies in Minneapolis area including 2 sisters.

You mentioned your acting career - smile is right, there is a wonderful theatre community there. My cousin is in the development department of the Ordway Theater in St Paul. Call there and ask for Amy Anderson and tell her that cousin Jo from ND told you to call and I'm sure she will do her best to connect you with information on the theatre scene.

Mpls./St Paul is a great urban area. Theatre, restaurants, shopping, major hub airport, and the list goes on and on and on. You are also in a hotspot for quality medical care should you need it with the U of M hospitals and Mayo clinic nearby in Rochester. My brother-in-law is listed as one of the top internists in the twin city area - he is Dr. Richard Beck at the Park-Nicollet Clinic - Golden Valley. Here is a link to info about him - http://www.parknicollet.com/Methodist/Doctors/Find_a_doctor/provider_detail/provider_detail.cfm?ID=487

Looks like you have a place to live so don't need to refer you to my cousin the realtor!

The winter can be cold but the summer is well worth the wait! The lakes are absolutely beautiful and abundant. If you have time in the summer be sure to visit the Fergus Falls area (go I94 north a couple of hours). Ottertail County where Fergus is located has the highest concentration of lakes in the state and is totally gorgeous in the summer. If you get that far, let me know and I'll tell you the best places to go. And when you decide to buy a lake home I'll put you in touch with that realtor cousin!

My sisters are chanpion shoppers so if you need to know where to get anything, I can find out where to get it for you. I have so many connections there so if there is anything you need to know or find, send me a PM and I'll get the answers for you.

Also have a nephew who is a fantastic financial advisor. When he was laid off because of company restructuring he had his pick of other jobs because of his previous work. Was offered a position overseeing three Wells Fargo banks but turned it down to stay in the individual advisory field.

Well, hope you get settled in my beloved Minnesota quickly and find many new friends and activities to enjoy, too!!!

#58355 - 02/18/06 12:59 PM Re: The journeys begun...
diamond50 Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Love your new condo, Diane. I also live in one
in the middle of "everything."

Let us know how everything goes.

#58356 - 02/18/06 07:26 PM Re: The journeys begun...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Wow! I think flipperjo should work for the MN chamber of commerce. Thank you so much for all the info. That was really nice of all of you to give me your input.

I'm not an actor. I was taking acting classes in TN because it was something I always wanted to do and loved it. I'm not sure I actually want to act. Just want to learn the trade right now.

#58357 - 02/19/06 09:05 PM Re: The journeys begun...
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Dianne, flipper's description of the lakes make me want to visit. I hope you take time to visit them this summer. Sounds like a nice get-a-way.

#58358 - 02/20/06 05:21 AM Re: The journeys begun...
flipperjo Offline

yes, Dianne, i do believe i missed my calling. much as i love my adopted state, a piece of my heart will always be in minnesota!

#58359 - 02/20/06 07:30 PM Re: The journeys begun...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Smile, the airport posters in Nashville are country stars! Recorded messages from them play, welcoming visitors to Music City. I always thought that was cool.

Flipperjo, I've been to Wyzeta (is that right?). I was really impressed with it.

#58360 - 02/20/06 11:36 PM Re: The journeys begun...
smilinize Offline

How cool Dianne. I have been to Nashville many times, but I always drove. I've never been to the Nashville airport. Next time I'll have at least visit it.

smile

#58361 - 02/21/06 12:56 AM Re: The journeys begun...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

You have to go down by the gates to see the pics. They do have one by the escalator. It's a small airport but nice.

#58362 - 02/21/06 03:22 AM Re: The journeys begun...
browser57 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Not to mention - you never know who you will see. I stood next to Michael McDonald (remember to Doobie Brothers??) as we waited for our luggage one night. He was really friendly.

They also have the quickest system of baggage pick up that I have ever seen. Here in Detroit, you have time to get a manicure while you wait for Pete's sake.... :-)

#58363 - 02/21/06 07:55 AM Re: The journeys begun...
chatty lady Offline
Writer

I have good friends that live in Orr, MN. just 50 miles west of International Falls and they have a home right on Pelican Lake so when there I can fish off the pier or the boat and we catch Walleye (my favorite fish) and then we cook them on the grill and if that ain't heaven I don't know what is....all except for the State bird, the mosquito, LOL

[ February 20, 2006, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#58364 - 02/21/06 09:55 AM Re: The journeys begun...
flipperjo Offline

Dianne, you have found one of the best areas of the twin cities - it is pronounced like you spelled it - Wyzeta, but spelled Wayzata. Guess spelling isn't a strong point there! There is a restaurant right on the water in Wayzata on Lake Minnetonka that I went to with my sis and her dh one time. They have a gorgeous Sunday brunch but i can't think of the name of the place - I'll email sis and find out. We also went antiquing there once, we were in an area that was full of fun boutiques and antique shops - sis is a talented decorator and seems to know where all the best shops are.

We have two family weddings down there this year. One in April, the other in Sept. so I get to come down there soon. I always love to get there but never seem to have enough time.

Have you found Albertville? There is a huge outlet mall there. It is a burb to the NW of where you are. Hop onto 494N and 94W till you get to Albertville.

By the way, I checked out your condo site - beautiful home! I love the scandinavian influence. If you really like the scandi style furnishings, there is a store down there called Nordic Textiles and Furnishings with absolutely beautiful furniture, handmade designer rugs and other decor items. The furniture ranges from antique reproduction to wonderful contemporary flaming birch pieces, all made in Norway. They are located in Mpls. and their web site is at http://www.nordic-home.com/store/

Guess that's enough of a tour for tonight. Keep me posted on your explorations - it is always interesting to hear other people's impressions of places one is so familiar with.

[ February 21, 2006, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: flipperjo ]

#58365 - 02/21/06 10:05 AM Re: The journeys begun...
flipperjo Offline

Chatty, I think Orr is where there is a guy who feeds free roaming bears. My parents talked about going up there and you could watch the bears come in for feeding.

Is there a Pelican Lake near Orr, or are you talking about the one by Pelican Rapids where the big concrete Pelican lives in the middle of the river?

[ February 21, 2006, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: flipperjo ]

#58366 - 02/21/06 07:14 PM Re: The journeys begun...
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Thanks Flipperjo. Are you familiar with the Lake Calhoun area? My husband put money down on an upcoming loft there. It should be finished in a little over a year (yes, we'll move again!). The lake is wonderful and there is a walking path all the way around it. Plus, there are cute little shops and wonderful restaurants. The loft is larger than this one and has a balcony/deck and only two stories high. I'm really excited about it.

I'd love to site on a pier and fish. That sounds wonderful.

#58367 - 02/22/06 11:43 AM Re: The journeys begun...
flipperjo Offline

A loft, Dianne, how fun! I haven't spent any time around Lake Calhoun but have been there - it is a beautiful lake and you will be able to sit on the dock and fish there although I think I'd be look'n for a friend with a sail boat!

I've always wanted to turn an unusual building into a home. There are so many country churches closed due to dwindling rural population so I think around here, that is what I would end up in. We built my dream house in '89 but it lost its charm when my daughter died. Now, I am just waiting until our finances allow so we can move our son and his family into this house and we can get a smaller place or find an old church to renovate.

I thought of another must-see summer destination for you. Just east of you on the MN/WI border there is a little town called Stillwater on the St. Croix River. Here is the city web site... http://www.ci.stillwater.mn.us/
Check out the 'community information/tourism links.

Just north of there is Taylors Falls, http://www.saintcroixriver.com/html_docs/towns_scvrta/taylorsfalls.html ...another beautiful place to check out. You can easily do the two in a day trip.

Have fun exploring and eating those fresh walleye!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved