The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 139 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#59835 - 07/19/04 04:51 AM Plastic Wallet Cards
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
The robot voices got me started. [Mad]

How about plastic wallet cards? Anyone sick of those? I wrote an article about them once. You know the one I mean......

The ones that get you money off at the super market, the pharmacy, bookstores, etc. Some come as ensembles with matching keychains. I now have one for two bookstores, my pharmacy, 2 or 3 supermarkets, the card shop, the hosiery club in a department store, and one for restaurants.

Retailers claim to save us money if we use them. [Roll Eyes] Why don't they just save all the money spent advertising, marketing, making these cards, and postage and pass the savings on to us by charging us less in the first place? [Razz]

Louisa

#59836 - 07/19/04 05:36 AM Re: Plastic Wallet Cards
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Girl you would dare put some marketing guru out of making his 200+K a year plus bonuses, and use of the company lodge on off days, by suggesting that they cut out these handy dandy cards that are SUPPOSE to save us money, that make great tooth picks, and will open any locked office door for those who've lost their keys; again? You would want them to...gasp, spurt, choke, actually just cut it all out and just save US money?

What are you, some kind of commie pinko?

JJ [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

#59837 - 07/19/04 10:46 AM Re: Plastic Wallet Cards
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
It's a type of spyware. [Mad] All your purchases are tracked every time you use those little cards and there's a gigundo file somewhere that lists everything you've ever bought. [Eek!] What exactly this info is used for, I don't know, but I don't like being "tracked" and I take my business elsewhere.

#59838 - 07/19/04 04:14 PM Re: Plastic Wallet Cards
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What irks me most about these cards is the fact that many stores won't give you the discount if you don't have the card. How in the world do they get away with that? [Mad]

I like Mars supermarket because they don't have a card and they give everyone the same price. [Big Grin]

#59839 - 07/20/04 05:14 AM Re: Plastic Wallet Cards
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Most supermarkets around here, all I do is say I don't have the card with or that my husband has it and they run one through for me anyway. In the card or bookstore, they just look it up in the computer. So why am I supposed to jam these into my wallet with all my other plastic? [Confused]

Louisa

#59840 - 07/20/04 01:44 PM Re: Plastic Wallet Cards
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Found an interesting article this a.m. and thought I would share the link. Here's the jest of it though for those who don't have the time to go and read the entire thing:

....Farmington-based company, 1st eTech, has the technology to replace all of those cards with America's first "biometric" secured data card — a single card to act as a driver's license, library card, credit card, debit card, government identity card and just about any other kind of card, all made absolutely secure by the user's own fingerprint.
But the Utah Technology Commission expressed worries Thursday that unleashing that technology could open the door wider for Big Brother to peer into people's lives.....

The URL is http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1,1249,595077518,00.html

Just cut and paste. I can see the pros and cons of having this. It will probably fly since it makes everything so convenient, so I gotta ask ya...convenient for??? I agree that it smacks of BIG BROTHER and I don't like it for that reason alone.

JJ

#59841 - 07/21/04 12:58 AM Re: Plastic Wallet Cards
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
My Uncle who works for the Government (ours) says we would be shocked and horrified by what the Government (ours, I think) know about us. He is in a possition to know what they know and/or can find out. No big shock here I guess!!!and YES, BIG BROTHER "IS" WATCHING... [Mad]

#59842 - 07/21/04 02:06 AM Re: Plastic Wallet Cards
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I got my info from a friend who creates computer programs that track the data. He says it's scary what info is out there about us.

He refuses to use those cards.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved