The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 125 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#60289 - 06/06/05 07:09 AM Re: Not Corporate Material
leigha Offline

Loc: british columbia
Dear Dotsie

I loved your words Dotsie, how beautiful and gentle...Live a Lotus Life...

'The lotus is a symbol of purity. Its roots are in the mud but the flower remains above dirty water.Live a Lotus life. Be unaffected by life's impurities.'

How beautiful what lives inside, the unseen beauty that builds through life's tribulations and joys, the seeds of love... to unfurl and to burst forth and grace the lives of everyone we encounter...sometimes when we least expect it, despite what lives around us!

With love
Leigha

#60290 - 06/06/05 06:09 PM Re: Not Corporate Material
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Leigha, these words are from another online daily devotion I recently subscribed to. This was one of his recent thoughts for the day.

Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University

Today's thought was something like this:

Take pleasure in the small things in life because it is from seeds that flowers grow. I loved it. We never know what will grow from the teeniest words, objects, thoughts, prayers, etc. Everything begins somewhere in the teeniest form!

#60291 - 06/07/05 07:14 AM Re: Not Corporate Material
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Strange or maybe not so strange, I was thinking of possibly writing a book for corporate wives. I could interview women who live in the middle of it and try to help the newbies, just entering.

There are some strange corporate rules, such as: my husband was the president of the company so I could call any of the women whose husband's worked under him and invite them to lunch or whatever. Corporate rules say they can't call me and invite me to anything. Geesh.

David always told me to be careful making friends with the wives because it might get ugly and I'd lose a friend if he had to fire any of them. I ignored him and sure enough, it happened. One woman was always so nice to me, overly nice but then, she was just a nice person although I felt she kind of pushed it when we had company events. David had to let her husband go and I saw her in the grocery store and she glared at me, turned her nose up in the air and stormed off. We should be loyal to our spouse though so I understood it completely. Had to get rid of my ego first.

I have a friend who was in the corporate world for years and she mentioned to me that she was thinking of writing now that she's staying home and how did I go about it? (You'll notice when you're published, people will come to you for writing advice a lot!). So, I might contact her about doing a joint venture on a book.

Leigha, you're right. There are no books on the subject. Trust me, I searched for them! Might be a need there.

#60292 - 06/06/05 08:04 PM Re: Not Corporate Material
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
quote:
Originally posted by Dianne:
I've tried girls. I really have. I just can't take all the BS that goes with this territory. It's phoney, backstabbing, surreal and it isn't in my nature to be that way.

I read your post and had to respond. I just celebrated my eighth month anniversary. Of what? Walking away from a 6 figure salary in a large corporation for many of the reasons you stated.

I was a department manager, and the only female department head in a brokerage firm which is still considered a man's business.

The language (and I am not a prude) and the physical gestures I witnessed towards the female sales assistants over the years was horrible and the saddest part is, it becomes second nature and it no longer registers.

Sure we had HR issues but most young girls would not pursue a matter for fear of losing a paycheck, most just found another job. If HR did speak to the offender, they were given a slap on the wrist because the brokers were the revenue generators. It sickened me that this behavior was acceptable.

I always spoke my mind, not in a demanding, or obnoxious way, but I did not tolerate what I thought was wrong or went along with something I did not agree with just because that's the way it is.

My outspoken nature, (which is strange because I'm really not but when I feel someone is being wronged I have to step in), ability to feel, listen, and empathize, coupled with the fact that I was a woman, left me in the cold for many functions--because I was not in the boys club. And that was fine with me because I could not and would not play their game.

I feel for you Dianne. I could never do it. A co-worker once told me that I was the most uncorporate - corporate person he knew and he admired me. He wanted to know how I dealt with the BS, I told him because I never forgot who I am.

I actually knew every janitor and cafeteria workers name. The rest of my colleages would brush right past those people, never even saying excuse me.

I am much poorer financially since I left but I am so much richer spirituality and physically, I could never go back. Gone are the Nexium and insomnia.

I recently went to dinner with the woman who took my job when I left. She was so miserable. When I came home I asked my husband if I had been that bad, he gave me a resounding yes. Enough said.

I could never be a corporate wife. Strength to you. You said it best in the snippet I pasted at the top of this post. Backstabbers and PHONEY!

I spent many years in a place that represented everything that I did not believe in. And what did I learn from my experience? Money truly does not buy happiness.

I was happier when I was a cashier in Bradlees. [Smile]

[ June 06, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Jersey Girl ]

#60293 - 06/06/05 09:34 PM Re: Not Corporate Material
leigha Offline

Dear Dotsie
I've just written down your words Dotsie...what a wonderful help...that message hit me...it contains the seeds of miracles...to think that what we speak, think and pray...can have such a profound effect... and to remember that. That's the key I think...constantly being aware of the effect of how and what we say. I'll keep these words by me daily to remember.

Thank you Dotsie. That was greatly appreciated!

Dear Dianne

That's fabulous! I think you'd do a fantastic job Dianne...not just in helping corporate wives with respect to hierarchy...you could also help them to see who they are and that their lives mean more than just being the wife of a corporate executive...Just follow your heart Dianne...it will help you decide it that is part of your path.

With love
Leigha

#60294 - 06/06/05 10:08 PM Re: Not Corporate Material
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Thanks ladies. It's nice to know that others understand. Some would ask me what I was complaining about because of the other benefits. Well, walk in my shoes for a while.

I might start working on an outline during my upcoming trip. Will miss you! (See Travel Thread)

#60295 - 06/06/05 10:32 PM Re: Not Corporate Material
Jersey Girl Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Though I am not a corporate wife, I would be willing to give you any input to being a woman in corporate America if you need it.

#60296 - 06/07/05 12:51 AM Re: Not Corporate Material
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Oh trust me...I already had you in mind to interview! If any of you other ladies would like to be interviewed, when the time comes, just let me know.

#60297 - 06/07/05 03:43 AM Re: Not Corporate Material
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Dianne, I'm impressed by your complete lack of BS -- either taking or giving it. Brava, woman! The reason you don't understand the snobbery and artifice is that you never bought into that whole deceitful game.

Be thankful that you CAN'T understand it!

One nice thing about being a full-time crafter is that there's little snobbery. We're all just two bad craft fairs in front of the bill-collectors. The few snobs in this business are angry wannabees.

I'm reminded of an incident from my childhood. In the late 1950's, my father brought home a co-worker to have dinner with us and later speak to the children and Mom about the civil rights movement. There were no black people in our neighborhood, and my father thought it was important for us to meet someone who had lived through segregation and knew the issues first-hand.

Decades later, after my father died, I was talking to Mom about my father's work. My father was the first Jew to break through the company's glass ceiling, and he still was discriminated against a lot on a daily basis. There were no non-Caucasians working there, except in menial cleaning positions.

It was only then that I realized my father's co-worker -- whom he introduced as "a friend from work" -- must've been a janitor.

I'm glad I was raised with a good value system.

#60298 - 06/07/05 10:42 AM Re: Not Corporate Material
leigha Offline

Dear Meredithbead

Sounds like you had a great dad Meredith...strong of heart and noble.

I saw your jewelry on your site and it's dazzling!

With love
Leigha

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved