The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#60330 - 06/14/05 09:30 PM Lower energy level
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Does anyone notice decreased energy level with age? Or is it age? Maybe I'm just lazy.

I guess I was once blessed with endless energy. I raised kids, attended college, held several jobs, ran a large business, wrote grants, painted, wrote plays and musicals, and dealt with all kinds of life traumas. And lots of times I did all of that at the same time.

Nowadays I can't seem to get the house cleaned. Today my only goal is to get to the lighting store for a new lampshade and I'm putting it off.
At one time I was able to exercise my way to energy, but when I tried that last year, it not only didn't work, I wound up in the hospital for surgery to correct an old injury. Seems like the more I rest, the more rest I need.
What is the problem?
smile

#60331 - 06/14/05 10:18 PM Re: Lower energy level
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Smile, If you erased your name from your post, and put mine there, it would fit to a tee. That was until a few days ago.

Putting it off...that's what I found myself doing too. I became sooo comfortable with it. I am up at 6:AM and go to bed around 11 most nights. I have ALL day to myself and found myself doing less and less.

A few days ago I made a decision and so far I am sticking to it. Sometime during the day(mostly when I get sleepy or bored), I jump in the car and go somewhere, anywhere. Even if it's for a few minutes. When I come back I have a renewed energy. Then I tackle my list.It is written on little pieces of paper and I draw one out and JUST DO IT. i.e. clean kitchen, write short story, make Dr. appt, and so on. I had to do this or else I would spend my day moping around the house.

Try the 20 minute work-out. No not exercise...set your timer for 20 minutes and do "anything" for 20 minutes. If you have renewed energy keep going. If you don't set it for a 20 minute break and reset it 20 minutes later to do something else.(I have been doing this off and on too)

I think my problem is lack of "responsibilities" that you mentioned above. Kids, work, volunteering, swinging doors...I was Superwoman and loved every minute of it.

I think the empty nest allowed me time to relax, it was much needed, but I am well rested now. Just can't seem to get back into the swing of things and not sure if I want to.

I want something EXCITING happening in MY life again. I have a wonderful life, don't get me wrong. It is probably the first time in my life that I can do what I want when I want...I just don't know what it is yet.

I think there are times when we go from "Run Ragged" to "In A Rut". Not a bad thing if it is temporary.

I could go on and on, but my message is, I think I know where you are coming from.

You just got back from a wonderful trip too, it might be that decrease in excitement syndrome.(?)

I had to do what worked for me, it may or may not work for you but I thought I'd share. Hope this help, it helped me just by answering your post.

Luv and Hugs
Andria

#60332 - 06/14/05 10:25 PM Re: Lower energy level
smilinize Offline

Thanks for the ideas Chick. I like the twenty minute timer idea. Maybe I can do that. It seems to me that now that I can do just about anything I want, I waste all my time deciding what to do.
Previously I didn't have a chance to decide. I just had to do everthing I could so I did. I guess I never learned to prioritize because everything was a priority.
I thought the trip would energize me, but so far, I'm as lazy as ever.
Trying the 20 minute timer now.
smile

#60333 - 06/15/05 12:00 AM Re: Lower energy level
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Maybe we just wear down and out?

Boredom does me in. I too have to force myself to get out of the house or I'd rot in my office.

#60334 - 06/15/05 02:47 AM Re: Lower energy level
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
All of the above are things I also deal with from time to time. I hate exercise, always have and find countless reasons not to do any. The in the car works for me very well and once out of the house I can't imagine why it took me so long to get out of the house. Music does it for me as well, when feeling dull and dumpy I put on my 50's CD's and my entire body starts moving all by itself. I think we do tire some with age, thats normal but its more mental that physical. I asked my 85 year old mother how do you get up every day, get dressed and go to a full-time job. Then come home and cook and take care of my 62 year old brother who has Grand Mall Epileptic seizures and can't work? She thought for a moment and said; I do it because my mind tells me that I can...God Bless her...Smilinize you can, we all can as long as there is breath in our bodies. Excuse me while I go ride my exercycle.... [Cool] [Wink]

#60336 - 06/15/05 03:40 AM Re: Lower energy level
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Speaker, I started taking the B12 two days ago. pill form. Glad you posted about the liquid sublingual. I will try that when the pills are gone. I forgot to mention that Smiles. Now if I could find a memory pill.

Chatty, My Mom could jump over my head at 77 and if she hadn't been striken with an aneurysm (she lived too far from the hospital to be saved), she would have been like your Mom. I asked her about her energy one time and she said, "What am I supposed to do, hang around and wait to die?, I've got things to do, for Goodness sake." She was baking bread, knitting, quilt making, rug hooking etc. all the time.

I spend too much time on the computer I think. How about you ladies. Do you spend much time on it?

chick

#60337 - 06/15/05 03:49 AM Re: Lower energy level
smilinize Offline

I've tried the sublingual B12. I can't tell it helps which it would only if I was deficient which I guess I'm not.
The reason to take it sublingual or sub cutaneous is that it is not metabolized in the intestines if the intrinsic factor is impaired as it often is with alcoholism, certain drugs and possibly stress. I take small pills that dissolve under the tongue, but they're not much help energy wise.
I too spend too much time on the computer. It's so easy to just pick up the laptop every time I sit down. But I console myself that it is better than watching TV.
smile

#60338 - 06/15/05 06:54 AM Re: Lower energy level
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Well with over 3000 posts since only February here and critiquing for you all and other groups, and writing reviews and my onw stories and artices I would say I spend FAR TOO MUCH TIME ON THE COMPUTER. Probably 8 to 10 hours most days. Should find a way to hook it to my neck so I can roller skate and type at the same time, hummm maybe an invention is in the works. NOT!!! I wish that would be great. [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved