The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#60402 - 08/04/05 06:08 PM Awful books
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I grab what I can find to read in the airport so picked up a book and I won't mention the title but it was written by a NY Times Bestseller so I figured it should be good. It's so badly written and the concept is so stupid, I can't finish it. Seems the author just writes page after page of words to fill the required number of words.

Is it because I like good writers that I wonder how this junk got published or do women today actually like to read nonsense?

#60403 - 08/04/05 06:37 PM Re: Awful books
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dianne, I too have bought books by authors who I respected only to find them so badly written that I couldn't bear to read them. I wonder if someone else is writing that stuff of if they just throw some words together to meet deadlines after they are famous.

I've been reading about 'branding' as it applies to writers. It seems that once your name is established as a 'brand' with a couple of books, you can get away with just about anything. I was noticing a book my husband was reading that had a famous author's name in big letters on the front, but with a closer look, it appeared that someone else had actually written the book. ??

I guess publishers sell whatever sells even if it is only a name on the front cover.
smile

#60404 - 08/05/05 07:15 AM Re: Awful books
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have read a few Stephen King books also used as examples of WHAT NOT TO DO by a very good and accredited writing school. He breaks all the rules and he admits it. But he is who he is and if he scrolled his name on toilet paper someone would publish it, gladly...

#60405 - 08/05/05 05:11 PM Re: Awful books
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
chatty, you're so funny! Love the toilet paper comment.

#60406 - 08/05/05 05:12 PM Re: Awful books
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I buy most of the books I read. I always have a pen to underline and take notes. I find myself editing some of the darn things as I go along. Do you do that, or am I anal?

#60407 - 08/06/05 11:55 AM Re: Awful books
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
maybe you should mention titles so the rest of us don't waste our time (and money) on atrocious writing.

#60408 - 08/06/05 05:21 PM Re: Awful books
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

I don't have the author's name because I threw the book in the trash. [Big Grin] From the back cover it said she had written three books on loving a nerd, if that helps. I couldn't believe the amount of pages wasted on unmeaning dialogue. The whole thing was "supposed" to get the reader built up the the great sex scene. It was just so stupid and unbelievable. This is why I don't often read fiction and the selection in the airports are slim pickings.

Ii do love Jennifer Weiner and Chatherine Todd though. Both funny and surprising.

#60409 - 08/06/05 11:48 PM Re: Awful books
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
oh my gosh, Dianne, I know who you're talking about. It's Vicki Lewis Thompson. Was the name of the book GONE WITH THE NERD? She's also written NERD GONE WILD and THE NERD WHO LOVED ME.

That bad, huh? Yikes.

#60410 - 08/07/05 01:06 AM Re: Awful books
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Gosh Vicki, I can't remember the title of the one I got but I believe she wrote those as well. I figured with three other books out she would be good. Maybe I'm just not into that sexy, fabricated, this doesn't happen in real life, type of books. It was ridiculous. I would skip through 5-6 pages at a time just trying to get to something new or a change of topic besided the two lusting after each other.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved