The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 105 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64525 - 05/26/04 04:51 PM drive in theaters
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
In Abingdon, about 50 miles from us, there's a drive-in theatre. It's a lot of fun to pack a picnic supper and go to the movies. We can buy lovely little "treats" and have a really nice supper for far less than we'd spend at a restaurant.

Anyone else still go to drive-in movies?

#64526 - 05/27/04 02:48 AM Re: drive in theaters
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
We citizens in Las Vegas signed thousands of names on petitions to save the Y&W Drive in from being torn down. I loved the place and went at least twice a month. It had 4 screens and a round concession stand with surprisingly good eats. [Razz] The petitions didn't help, when someone with LOTS of money wants something, they have a way of getting it. [Roll Eyes] In its place now is a huge theatre complex with 12 theatres. I've been there 3 times in about as many years. [Embarrassed] We use to take the pick-up and park backwards and sit in back on blankets. Everyone spoke to everyone, what a hoot and how sorely missed it has been. I haven't thought of it in awhile, thanks for the memory.... [Big Grin]

#64527 - 05/27/04 05:07 AM Re: drive in theaters
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I grew up nine miles from the local drive in movie, but it was a big deal to go and Daddy said those movies would turn my sister and I into loose women.
Every Sat. night, Dad and my uncle went across the creek to play poker. My aunt and Mom would rant and rave and threaten to take my sister, our cousins, and me to the drive in movie (a big deal to them).
Sometimes we would actually get in the car before they chickened out. One time they drove all the way down the lane to the road but they stopped there and took us back home. Finally one Saturday night we made it all the way (5 miles) to the highway that lead to the movie.
We were all in the backseat and we were so excited. They stopped at the stop sign and we got concerned when they left the car idling. They began to egg each other on and they sounded tougher and tougher. We egged them on too. We would say how our Daddy's should be there with us and how they had to do all the work and anything else we could do to make them mad. We just desperately wanted to go to the movie.
When they were very irate, They would say, "We gotta' just take these kids and go to the movie."
All us kids would perk up. Then they would say, "Well you know Hank and Von will kill us." and we would all wilt. In the backseat we were holding hands just praying some of the most heart felt prayers of our short lives. We asked God to pleeease just get us to the movie.
But after about and hour of ranting and raving, once again they chickened out and turned the car around and started home. We were all devastated. But by that time it was so late we just all piled up in the backseat, a bunch of sweaty arms and legs, and were soon sound asleep.
I finally got to go the the drive in movie when I was about fifteen. I dated the ticket taker.
I married him a little over a year later.
I'm pretty sure it was just to fianlly get to see a movie.
smile
P.S. A few years ago I wrote a hilarious play about that for a college near where I live.
P.P.S. Sorry for the long post. I've been dying to tell that story ever since this topic was started.

[ May 26, 2004, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#64528 - 05/27/04 07:27 AM Re: drive in theaters
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi,
Smile, love your story.
I remember going to the drive in when we were about 10 years old. All the kids would hide under a blanket in the back of the station wagon. We all enjoyed the movie and shared popcorn and treats.
This was when I stayed with my cousins so there were at least four of us, sometimes six.
My parents didn't like drive in movies either.
Maggie

#64529 - 05/27/04 02:48 PM Re: drive in theaters
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Love the thought of drive-in movies. Where I live there are none but I still have some great memories.

I also loved the diners--remember them? Those thick chocolate milkshakes, fries and hamburgers! Miss that so.

Thank you for the great memories!

#64530 - 05/27/04 04:44 PM Re: drive in theaters
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
smile, loved that story and can relate to it. My mom wasn't crazy about drive-ins. They were for lose girls. Those and guys with vans, she didn't like either.

There was a guy who asked me out and he had a van. Mom said nope, no dates in vans. So the guy borrowed his brother's car and we went to the movie theater, not a drive-in. Mom was right. [Big Grin] He was too fast for me. Even at the theater he was moving his hands a little too quickly...first date! [Mad] Dirty dog! I was a good Catholic school girl! [Wink]

I gently pushed away from him, he got the message, and that was the end of that. [Razz] Never went out with him again. Never told Mom why either. Now I realize I should have. It would have made her know that what she was doing was right. In those days I didn't want her to think she was right. Isn't that sad? [Frown] That's a good story for me to think about while raising my teens. Thanks for jolting my brain a little.

#64531 - 05/27/04 10:55 PM Re: drive in theaters
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I think a "good girl" is a "good girl" no matter where she is, [Wink] however its easier to say NO in a crowded theatre than in some guys van. Sometimes its not our children or their morals we worry about but the others guys. [Mad]

#64532 - 05/28/04 03:31 AM Re: drive in theaters
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dotsie, I bet you didn't need to tell your Mom. I bet she knew. You know how us mothers are.
smile

#64533 - 05/28/04 05:13 PM Re: drive in theaters
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I was surprised that my mom had this boy pegged. I truly was. Now that I'm a mom, it soesn't surprise me. I know you can't judge a book by it's cover, but you sure can get a feel for the kind of guy you want your daughter to spend her time with! [Razz]

#64534 - 05/29/04 01:24 AM Re: drive in theaters
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
In college, the guy I was dating asked if I wanted to go to a drive-in movie to see a kung-fu movie with his roommate. The three of us hung out the back of the truck and didn't talk much, mostly just watched and ate popcorn.

Later when I broke up with him, his roommate said "I don't blame you."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved